Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#16827229 01/11/22
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Should have enough points to draw a WY antelope tag this year. How are they doing this winter? Any large winter kill so far?

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
So far not bad but ask again about April or early May.
Some areas had a dry end to summer and winter range was not in good shape going in to winter.
Hopefully the doe will have lots of twins this year, maybe a few triplets and herds will respond favorably to last springs big snow in eastern Wyo.

Reduced tags could mean better hunting, less pressure, in the area you draw.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
What’s the best way to find a trespass hunt on private land now days? The Game and Fish use to have landowner list but not anymore.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fug that hit public land

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I’ve hunted public too but it’s a lot easier to draw on private land in some areas. I got spoiled I guess hunting a large ranch near Gillette for years. I always drew tags with no points and got to hunt every year. I’d love to find something like that again.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
How many points you got?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The winter kill will be worse if spring is dry and cold, the faster things green up the better off they will be. Avoid applying in areas 16,17 and 22 the numbers were quite thin this past year. And if any thing may be worse off next. The prairie barely grew grass this year in 22. and I am sure a Lot of does are struggling....

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by moosemike
How many points you got?

We had enough to draw last year but they cut the tags back & we were just out of the draw. We're looking at the NE corner of WY.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by wyoming260
The winter kill will be worse if spring is dry and cold, the faster things green up the better off they will be. Avoid applying in areas 16,17 and 22 the numbers were quite thin this past year. And if any thing may be worse off next. The prairie barely grew grass this year in 22. and I am sure a Lot of does are struggling....

Don Day is saying we may have a spring like last year with a nice cold, snowy push at the end. That won't bode well for those doe carrying fawns.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by colorado bob
How many points you got?

We had enough to draw last year but they cut the tags back & we were just out of the draw. We're looking at the NE corner of WY.

Ok so a non answer. I have four and I'm not sure if that's worth getting excited over. I may just build points for a few more years

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by colorado bob
How many points you got?

Ok so a non answer. I have four and I'm not sure if that's worth getting excited over. I may just build points for a few more years

It's a group application----average----we are looking at unit 7

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I want unit 27 but the points seem to steadily creep up. I may not catch them

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This drought map may help with planning and unit choice. You can also look back on data from when a buck was born to see how drought may have affected development of horn base.
https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?WY

I have 11 NR points and will be looking to draw a good hunt this year.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Point creeps a bitch . I just checked 27, last year 4 points in special draw was 90% .

We have 12 points and will never catch up for some of the “premier” units. But it’s always a game of who/with how many points apply ...

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JeffP

Point creeps a bitch . I just checked 27, last year 4 points in special draw was 90% .

We have 12 points and will never catch up for some of the “premier” units. But it’s always a game of who/with how many points apply ...

Is the Special Draw the one that costs 600 some dollars to enter?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Yes
That’s the down side
The regular you wouldn’t have drawn, I think 6 points drew the last tag.
Also with point creep , 4 last year will probably be that or more, but it all depends how many people put in. Or if tags are reduced.
A few years back a prime red dessert tag went with less points than I had. I figured I couldn’t draw it and didn’t apply, I would have drawn. You just have to pick your unit and apply.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
This problem not only applies to nr, but to residents as well. Drawing a any antelope tag used to not be a problem if we avoided the units with huge amounts of public land. For the last two years I failed to draw a tag in a couple units that used to be our second or third choice. Numbers have declined and the chips showing land ownership have caused units with mostly private land now being sold out as well. Times have changed and not for the better. Ah, the good old days!!

Molon Labe
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
This problem not only applies to nr, but to residents as well. Drawing a any antelope tag used to not be a problem if we avoided the units with huge amounts of public land. For the last two years I failed to draw a tag in a couple units that used to be our second or third choice. Numbers have declined and the chips showing land ownership have caused units with mostly private land now being sold out as well. Times have changed and not for the better. Ah, the good old days!!

Exactly
Throws out the old SOP of putting in your target unit but drawing a second and still getting to hunt. We could buy a second buck tag during season in the good old days....

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I was thinking just putting in for 27 and picking something else as my second choice. But points only get applied to your first choice and every unit I can find for an acceptable consolation prize requires points to draw. So I could just make one of them my first choice but I would hate to burn up four points on a unit that only requires one or two. Dilemmas.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
You could just put in for 27 special draw for a better chance
Or 27 regular draw

Either way Both will depend on demand and if they reduce or add tags.

Or just look on Wyoming F&G and see which units you would likely draw with 4 points

Last edited by JeffP; 01/15/22.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

375 members (007FJ, 160user, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 1,995 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,863
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.