Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tesoro
Yes I know what you mean about the older Conquests as I had one in 2005 or so. I believe it had German glass and parts but was assembled in US, like the newer Z3. I think they both did this to save on import tariffs.The Conquest had a very nice duplex reticle. The new Z4's are made somewhere in Asia and I havent run one through a field test, and wont, but initial impressions looked good.

That larger big conquest is too bulky/heavy for my liking and I cant get a good cheek weld with the added height on my rifle. I had lighted center x hairs on a swaro x5i 3-18. Fantastic scope in every way and not sure why they are not more popular. My prob with lighted x-hairs is it makes me focus on them but when I shoot I focus on the target. Maybe I didnt practice enough to get used to them.

From what I understand, Swaro changed some internals over the years from the A's to Z3 models. I have not tried to dial my two 3-10's which are both late model versions but have read of guys doing so with issues. I dont dial for my deer rifle but I'm putting the other one on a sweet little Sako Vixen 223 and vertical dialing could come in handy for rock chucks etc but probably wont work well.

I have no issues with the modern Leupolds other than the more common than not stiff mag ring adjustment. I ordered a vx5hd 2-10 from them before xmas and the ring was so hard to turn that I sent it right back for a refund. Then I ordered another from OP for testing and the ring was passable but not great. I also got a vx5hd 2.5-8 Leup to check out and it came with a large screw in pin for the mag ring. Like wtf does this dainty little scope need to have a crank handle on it ! Every German scope I have owned had ultra smooth mag adjustments right out of the box and stayed that way. The bonus with the Germans is eye relief has always been constant for all mags so you dont have to change your form on higher power. I would guess that by now some 'Asian' manufacturers have 'duplicated' their engineering!

Agree with all that. Interestingly, the 4-16x50mm v4 Conquest fits on both my Kimber WSM and Remington M700 in Talley low’s, just a data point. But I hear you- they are big. The first V4 I bought (other than two 1-4x24’s for AR’s) was a 4-16x44 with a duplex and I’m considering trying it on my 7-08 mountain rifle, but it would look goofy on there due mainly to its length. Shouldn’t matter; it’s not a fashion show out there, haha... but it does.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by rost495
Thats every last illuminated scope in the books for me. When your eye has to gather and then you turn on a light, you loose your low light vision. Pupils constrict etc....

Lighted ones are ok during the day.

That's simply not true when it comes to the better illuminated models. The illumination in a Docter 8x56 is so dim -- and the dot so fine -- that you can't even see it thirty minutes after sunset until you get to the 4th or 5th setting -- and then it's just the faintest of glows. The illumination in my current Steiner Ranger 4 2.5-10x50 is much the same.

Those will not affect your vision in a negative way.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobbyTomek
Thats every last illuminated scope in the books for me. When your eye has to gather and then you turn on a light, you loose your low light vision. Pupils constrict etc....

That's simply not true when it comes to the better illuminated models. The illumination in a Docter 8x56 is so dim -- and the dot so fine -- that you can't even see it thirty minutes after sunset until you get to the 4th or 5th setting -- and then it's just the faintest of glows. The illumination in my current Steiner Ranger 4 2.5-10x50 is much the same.

Bobby, how does that Steiner Ranger compare to the Nighthunter Xtreme (which is a FANTASTIC low light scope)?

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by BobbyTomek

Not having any experience with illuminated reticles in low light--what does it look like? In very low light, your vision is no longer in color (something about rods and cones, but you get the idea). So add in a very faint red and what does it look like? Does it appear as a gray dot? Red against an otherwise grayscale image? Just wondering. Thanks.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
[quote=skeen

Bobby, how does that Steiner Ranger compare to the Nighthunter Xtreme (which is a FANTASTIC low light scope)?
[/quote]

It's apples and oranges to a degree as the NightHunter Xtreme went for $2500 compared to 1K for the Ranger 4. With that being said, the improvements made to the original Ranger series are notable and significantly bridge the gap between those two. The Ranger 4 is not going to have the same apparent image brightness as the NH Xtreme but does feature exceptional resolving power. It has a larger sweet spot than the Xtreme and also is sharper to the edges, though that doesn't carry much weight in real-life hunting situations. The illumination in the Ranger 4 is redesigned and simply superb, and while the illumination in the NH scopes was good, this one is even better.

There's much to like about the Ranger 4. While I do like the NightHunter Xtreme, it -- to me,at least -- is certainly not $1500 better than the Ranger 4. That's definitely not a knock on the NightHunter series. It's just a compliment to the Ranger 4 scopes. I've only had mine a short while, but it is quickly winning me over.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
BillyE-

The dot appears in color, and that actual color can vary depending upon the scope itself. As such -- with the rest of the scene in muted tones -- target acquisition is very quick.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This thread been a interesting read. I've used nothing but Leupolds since the early 70's and never had an issue with any. I've had the VX compact, VX111, VX3i, and a VX2.

I have to wear 2.50 glasses just for up close and reading and over last few years as my eyesight has changed have found that I run out of focus on the eyepiece adjustment. I'm seeing a slight double crosshair. This hasn't really affected my hunting ability on deer and elk but it is really annoying especially when sighting in or testing reloads.

So I started looking at other brands and liked the Swarovski best. So I'm replacing all my Leups with Swarovski Z3 3-9 or 3.5-10 and they focus a whole lot better plus looking through them compared to my Leup VX3i 3.5-10 and 4.5-14 they have a brighter clearer image. So the kids are getting several used leups to choose from for their rifles.

Not saying this to be a Leup basher at all as I consider what I've got from them has been excellent. I still have a Leup VX2 3-9x33 adj objective on my Ruger 77/22 and so far I still have focus adjustment on it.

Last edited by AZmark; 01/29/22.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BillyE
Good test and write up. There's a lot more than just brightness when judging a low-light scope. I think you captured all this very well. And you answered a question for me regarding the Leupold illuminated reticle in low light.

It should be noted the OP experience is the oppisite of mine and every other guy I know who has used the Fire Dot illum.

The lowest setting is typically so low it can only be seen in pitch black and a new battery.

The second setting can not be seen in normal daylight and produces a subdued burnt orange reticle in very low light.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

T
Tesoro Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Good test and write up. There's a lot more than just brightness when judging a low-light scope. I think you captured all this very well. And you answered a question for me regarding the Leupold illuminated reticle in low light.

It should be noted the OP experience is the oppisite of mine and every other guy I know who has used the Fire Dot illum.

The lowest setting is typically so low it can only be seen in pitch black and a new battery.

The second setting can not be seen in normal daylight and produces a subdued burnt orange reticle in very low light.

It is most likely that I had the setting on the lowest usable level because the lower one would not be used as you cant shoot in pitch black. I set the light to the lowest setting visible after sundown with was orangy. The fact is that at a minute or two before my target was obscured by lack of light, I was able to see my cross hairs superposed over the target with the vx5, as easily as the others, so I didn't need a light assist. And when I tried the light it washed out my target. But I have to say my test was done at the extreme end of last light which most probably dont try out. But the firedot featire was not the reason I nixed the vx5. And I can see a higher setting of the firedot being handy under certain applications.

Last edited by Tesoro; 01/30/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tesoro
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

It is most likely that I had the setting on the lowest usable level as the one lower than that would not be used as one cant shoot in pitch black. I set the light to the lowest setting visible after sundown with was orangy. The fact is that at a minute or two before my target was obscured by lack of light, I was able to see my cross hairs superposed over the target with the vx5, as easily as the others, so I didn't need a light assist. And when I tried the light it washed out my target. But I have to say my test was done at the extreme end of last light which most probably dont try out. But the firedot featire was not the reason I nixed the vx5. And I can see a higher setting of the firedot being handy under certain applications.

What reticle was in the VX5?

I should say I only have experience with the TMOA reticle/Firedot. The entire MOA scale lights up and I bet it is easier in low light than just a dot at the center.

The TMOA is a pretty fine reticle so the illum does not cover much of the target.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B3

T
Tesoro Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
[/quote]

What reticle was in the VX5?

I should say I only have experience with the TMOA reticle/Firedot. The entire MOA scale lights up and I bet it is easier in low light than just a dot at the center.

The TMOA is a pretty fine reticle so the illum does not cover much of the target.
[/quote]

I had the std duplex. A few yrs back I had a Swaro x5 illuminated, which had very precise and adjustable lighted cross hairs. I found these easier to aim with than a dot but once again I didnt need them under real low light to help my shooting.

I have 45 years of shooting experience using std cross hairs so maybe there is some 'eye muscle memory' involved in my case. I dont focus on the cross hairs when I shoot but rather the target. Having cross hairs lighted up, or with a dot, distracts me because there is now a dominant item in my focal planes.

Last edited by Tesoro; 01/30/22.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (160user, 007FJ, 12344mag, 16penny, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 58 invisible), 2,352 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,141
Posts18,484,085
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.