Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
As of 1/6/2022, there were 106 container ships at anchor, drifting nearby, or slow steaming towards the LA / Long Beach ports. Nearly double of what was bobbing around before.

Core problem: shortage of drivers and equipment (both trucks and chassis), and the inability of the port to accept return empties (which keeps them on the chassis since there's no other place to put them, taking the chassis out of circulation).

If you want to know why there's inflation: it's on a boat somewhere.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Our daughter is a trucking broker and said drivers are turning down $7 a mile. I got this second hand not directly from her, so could that number possibly be true? Holy cow man.

LOL
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Build Back Better. Meanwhile it’s all about control.

Last edited by rainshot; 01/12/22.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I am a shipping manager and we are paying less than half of that. We load 20+ flatbeds/step decks daily.

We send 4-5 trucks daily to the west coast.

CK
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The national average van rate is 3.48 right now. Or very close, don't have confirmation of that exact number.

7 a mile - needs context.

Drivers typically figure/need 1200-1400 a day to run the truck. If your load is a time suck, even short miles 7 cpm isn't enough.

A lot goes into a rate - deliver time, location, style etc.

Me

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Our daughter is a trucking broker and said drivers are turning down $7 a mile. I got this second hand not directly from her, so could that number possibly be true? Holy cow man.

Doesn’t help California won’t let individual owner/operators haul from the ports either.

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Voting rights NOW!

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
Voting rights NOW!

America's leadership has some strange priorities.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
California is a total cluster. They only allow large companies in to haul their goods and the trucks have to be emissions updated and no older than 3-5 yrs old if I’m not mistaken. I have a few friends and a cousin that are long haul drivers. None go to California.

"If I couldn't laugh I would go insane." JB
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Dutch
As of 1/6/2022, there were 106 container ships at anchor, drifting nearby, or slow steaming towards the LA / Long Beach ports. Nearly double of what was bobbing around before.

Core problem: shortage of drivers and equipment (both trucks and chassis), and the inability of the port to accept return empties (which keeps them on the chassis since there's no other place to put them, taking the chassis out of circulation).

If you want to know why there's inflation: it's on a boat somewhere.

I heard a little blurb on the news a couple weeks ago. The word was that they are having the ships wait offshore over the horizon, so the general public doesn't see how bad it is.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm furloughed the last three days of this week
because we can't get a truck to move materials 400 miles to
our plant.

Nothing to do with ports, directly, but a trucking problem.

Much of the trucking issue could be solved easily.
Get rid of electronic logs, let the drivers log on paper.

As much as I hate to promote lying, things work smoother, faster,
more efficient, and safer if drivers are allowed to creatively document
their hours.

We do need some regulation,
To protect the motoring public,
And to protect drivers from some employers.
But you can't get crap hauled when you won't let drivers drive.

This isn't anything new to Dutch, or Teal.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
"Build Back Better" does not refer to the country or the economy. It means "Increase the Power of the Democrat Party to a full Dictatorship." The "Let Us Control All Elections" bill is the cornerstone of that effort.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teal
The national average van rate is 3.48 right now. Or very close, don't have confirmation of that exact number.

7 a mile - needs context.

Drivers typically figure/need 1200-1400 a day to run the truck. If your load is a time suck, even short miles 7 cpm isn't enough.

A lot goes into a rate - deliver time, location, style etc.

That's what i am seeing, rates between $2 and $6, depending on source and destination, averaging in that mid-3 range. Shippers and receivers with bad reputations for slow loading or unloading are having difficulty booking trucks or are paying more.

The shortage at the LA ports is exacerbated by California's AB5 and the Clean Truck rules for the port, but the fundamental problem is too dam many boats.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
California's emissions and trucking laws has created this. Nobody wants, or can go there which makes a bad situation worse. There's already a truck shortage and nobody wants to go there. I was talking to one of my Indian importers who has his main warehouse in California. I asked him if he was having trouble getting product there. He said that they've been shipping everything into Houston and trucking it to California. The shipping rates to TX from India are substantially cheaper which pays for the trucks. He said the problem is trying to get trucks to go to Cali.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
"Build Back Better" does not refer to the country or the economy. It means "Increase the Power of the Democrat Party to a full Dictatorship." The "Let Us Control All Elections" bill is the cornerstone of that effort.

Pelosi is correct - We really would have to pass it to see what is in the BBB bill. But a cursory view of the bill is frightening to say the least. Praying that Manchin remains resolute and incorruptible on this.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The NPR Show Planet Money had a really good Podcast on this back in Nov. I had no idea that ports were owned, organized and run in so many different ways and how they, among other things, have led to this mess. Seems like an opportunity for a forward thinking state/business.

Of boxes and boats planet money podcast

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pugs

The NPR Show Planet Money had a really good Podcast on this back in Nov. I had no idea that ports were owned, organized and run in so many different ways and how they, among other things, have led to this mess. Seems like an opportunity for a forward thinking state/business.

Of boxes and boats planet money podcast

I listened to that, I like that podcast in general. They did a really cool one on the "garbage crisis" of the '80's.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you are wondering how things are going at the LA port after Brandon got involved....

Biden's never done or fixed anything in his entire career.....................thinking that would change now is an exercise in stupidity.

Obama was about as bad as I thought it could get, Biden has made me re-think that.

MM

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The national supply chain/trucking is in a supply/demand imbalance - even ignoring California.

Trucks won't go there but let's not act like they're idle elsewhere. It's a nationwide issue.

If you're on LinkedIn - Jason Miller is an excellent follow for good data driven not feelings.

link

Honestly, trucking is less the problem in California than warehousing. Everything close that allows easy/efficient unloading is full.

Me

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,445
Posts18,489,603
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.