Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
People have to remember, most mail carriers and trash collectors are not govt employees.The companies have contracts and these people are employees,just like most of us are or were.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Christmas - there are many times when he will bring a package to the door instead of leaving a note in the box.

Same here. And the trash man will go to the back yard, drag the can around front, and put it back if we're away.

Not that it's anybody business whether I tip or not.

Tips go to the individual, not the gubmint. Our son has a friend who's a carrier. He works his ass off.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Growing up I never heard of such a practice, then a few years ago I was shocked to learn that people willingly give their money to a FedGov employee above and beyond the taxes that are taken from us at gunpoint by the IRS. Who tips the TSA for frisking their wife and children in an airport? Who tips the FBI for their exemplary 'work'??

I don't think the US Postal Service is funded by taxes. Or they shouldn't be... May have been a bail out or two, but they are funded by rates they charge for postage.

My rural carrier isn't a USPS employee. She's a contractor with a route, like the newspaper delivery folks.

I'm not adverse to tipping her. I've seen her go above and beyond to accommodate us. We know her by first name.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
we leave a small christmas gift each year for our carrier. She will bring the package to the front door if it won't fit in our box. SHE could leave a note telling me that I have a package at the PO in town and make me go get it, but she doesn't.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Anywhere from $20 -$50, Trash man, Recycle guy, Mailman, and Paper Boy.
Plus 18% tip on our Friday night dinner.

Last edited by jbmi; 01/12/22.

"The older I get, the better I was"
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Gonehuntin: Ha-ha-ha!
Yeah.... rrriiightttt.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Yep.
Newspaper man and Garbage men at Christmas time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As a retired carrier I can say I've been given cash, cards, food, booze, soda by the case, gift cards etc.
When you take care if your customers they don't forget, well some of them anyway.
I never looked forward to that just cause it's my job, but if they gave I received.

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My mailman is an alcoholic bumblephuk. I am surprised he hasn't run over his head by now.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ive never tipped them, or given them a Xmas present. They never came to my place of work to leave me money or gifts......

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i don't think we have the same people all the time out here. garbage guys leave my cans almost on the road. i blame the companies because they send a garbage truck with 1 guy. he drives and tosses the garbage. he has one of those loaders for the big can but still, they work their ass off. if i knew it was the same guy i would probably tip him.

My diploma is a DD214
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
FedEx guys and gals are good to us... same with the rural route USPS... They bring treats or ham biscuits for the dogs (sometimes)... I send them out with pecan (last few days)... of some preserves. Not every time, but often.

Gave the UPS guy a box of 9mm ammo a while back... he stopped to chat and found out he was one of us.

Internet guys were fantastic (and WAY BEYOND the standard install). They flagged off the next appointment and we shot some cool toys.

Yes we are kind to the folks that help us... I was raised that way.

I have the private cell numbers for many tradesman/internet folks etc. One call and they are instantly "on it".

Kindness works both ways.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Growing up I never heard of such a practice, then a few years ago I was shocked to learn that people willingly give their money to a FedGov employee above and beyond the taxes that are taken from us at gunpoint by the IRS. Who tips the TSA for frisking their wife and children in an airport? Who tips the FBI for their exemplary 'work'??

I don't think the US Postal Service is funded by taxes. Or they shouldn't be... May have been a bail out or two, but they are funded by rates they charge for postage.

My rural carrier isn't a USPS employee. She's a contractor with a route, like the newspaper delivery folks.

I'm not adverse to tipping her. I've seen her go above and beyond to accommodate us. We know her by first name.

That's the way it is SUPPOSED to be, but as with all Gov programs, the USPS is woefully inept. They love to use the "Stamps fund the USPS" line, but receive a yearly bailout from Congress. Last year it was up to 10 billion. They project a 2 billion MONTHLY deficit for 2022.

So, outside of accounting tricks and semantic arguments, the USPS is funded by our tax dollars.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I give my two trash collectors a bottle of Jack every Christmas. The cleaning couple, pool guy and paper "boy" get an end of the year tip.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Not a lot, just a $10 gift card for the local Wawa store to the mail lady every Christmas, but she appreciates it.

Last edited by JeffyD; 01/12/22.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Our mailman is a good guy. Avid hunter and shooter. Busts his ass. Always walks packages to the back yard. We were talking one day and he said that he and his wife saved their money up and enjoyed expensive wines. I don't know schit about wine, cant stand the stuff. Got him a gift card to a high end wine store. He reacted like I gave him a million bucks

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I live on a farm with about 5 miles of gravel roads before one can hit pavement . The mail lady is a family friend, I fish with her husband, and she always has treats for the dogs who know her vehicle. The wife used to buy her a blouse every year but these days she prefers several jars of our home-made strawberry jam. As for the garbage man, he comes once a week and the wife puts a piece of pie, honey bun, or some other treat every time he picks it up.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We have before but now we have a different one every other week!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Makes me think of a post when this subject came up several years ago,

"I tip the garbage man $50 each Christmas, if I had a roll of carpet with a pair of feet sticking out one end the guy would make it disappear."

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't tip my mail person but Always keep the mailbox plowed out (and the near neighbors too) every winter and the bushes/brush trimmed back in the summer (mailbox is on the cross road neighbor so I can't cut down the bushes/trees). They have dumped small packages in the snow as opposed to bringing them to the house, given us the wrong mail and lost other mail too.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 22250rem, 219DW, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,371 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,799
Posts18,496,275
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.