Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
LFC,

There you go again. I never said YOU shot a 2-shot group.

To refresh your memory (apparently you missed it when you quoted my post), I wrote: "Most people shoot at least a 3-shot group to confirm a scoped rifle is actually sighted-in."

Since you only fired two shots, and didn't fire a group afterward, you didn't confirm the the rifle was actually sighted-in. Apparently you consider one shot in about the right place as being sighted-in. Or did you mean something else entirely?

Even when sighting-in a very accurate rifle with a scope featuring very precise and repeatable adjustments, I generally fire at least 4 shots--the first shot to see where the bullet lands. Then I adjust the scope to where I want a GROUP to land, and fire a second shot to see if it's close. If it is, then I fired two more to confirm the zero.

You like to try and read too much into things....

Have owned plenty of older Leupolds (especially fixed-powers) that held zero year after year after year. But they often required most of a box of ammo to get zeroed in the first place.

You said it took you most of a box of ammo to sight in a Leupold scope.....I said I sighted one in yesterday in two shots.

I went on to shoot five 5 shot groups without any further scope adjustments.....sighted in in two shots like I said.

Comprehend'e...

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
[/quote]Don't get made at me bacause you said it took you "most of a box of ammo" to sight in a Leupold.

A Varx II 3×9 took me two shots today.

You're amazing. Most people shoot at least a 3-shot group to confirm a scoped rifle is actually sighted-in.

I didn't say it always takes me most of a box to sight in a Leupold every time. But sometimes it does, because (1) the adjustments don't actually move the amount indicated, and (2) sometimes they don't move at all until the rifle's fired again--or even twice. Anybody that claims otherwise hasn't sighted-in many friction-adjustment Leupolds--but have also seen it a number of times with click-adjust models.
[/quote]

A few weeks back I sighted in an M8 4x Leupold using my standard method with Leupolds:

1. Bore sight.
2. Shoot a 3 shot group.
3. Measure needed adjustment and adjust off of the closest 2 of the 3.
4. Shoot another 3 shot group to verify the adjustment took place on second and third shots.

Adjustments were repeatable...at taking effect on the second and third shot every time. If I had shot 1 shot and adjusted I'd have been chasing 0 all day. It takes 3 times (someone might get away with 2 times) as many rounds to sight a Leupold in as it does a repeatable scope. Below is the 3 shot group after the final adjustment....not hard to tell which was the first shot....and it did it every time.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
LFC,

Well, gee, then I have sighted-in a PILE of scopes (including some Leupolds) with two shots.

Apparently you don't count a confirming group (whether 3- or 5-shot) as part of the sighting-in process.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
JMCubic,

That's pretty much what I do as well with friction-adjust Leupolds--though often with some old-fashioned tapping of the turrets with an empty case, in hope of settling the adjustments without having to fire yet another round. But that doesn't always work!

As mentioned, have seen click-adjustment Leupolds that were somewhat tough to zero as well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
LFC,

Well, gee, then I have sighted-in a PILE of scopes (including some Leupolds) with two shots.

Apparently you don't count a confirming group (whether 3- or 5-shot) as part of the sighting-in process.

What part of "confirmation" are you bozOs missing...read below.

R e a d i t r e a l

S L O W if you need to.

Originally Posted by LFC

.I said I sighted one in yesterday in two shots.

I went on to shoot five 5 shot groups without any further scope adjustments.....sighted in in two shots like I said.

Comprehend'e...

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Good lord, I'm about to throw some holy water at my screen! grin

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You'd think he was from Louisiana the way he crawfishes....

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
[/quote]Don't get made at me bacause you said it took you "most of a box of ammo" to sight in a Leupold.

A Varx II 3×9 took me two shots today.
[/quote]

Here's your first post on the subject.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by 458Win
Today most people consider a 30-06 with a fixed 4x scope a primitive , anachronistic weapon .
About like their users

Phil,

Apparently I'm not as anachronistic as I used to be. Now have a 6x scope on my .30-06!

John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Only if the user uses see through mounts.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Who’s making good 4x or 6x scopes anymore? Admittedly I have not done the research myself on a fixed power in quite a while but am curious

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Today most people consider a 30-06 with a fixed 4x scope a primitive , anachronistic weapon .
About like their users

Phil,

Apparently I'm not as anachronistic as I used to be. Now have a 6x scope on my .30-06!

I have a couple 06's with 4x and 6x scopes. They are blued/walnut as well. A few years ago I had one of them and a few levers along at the rifle range, and a group of gents I was talking with, who were only a few years younger than me, but had tacticool everything, told me "they really dig my retro rigs". Hold onto anything long enough for it to drop from being commonplace and it crosses back into being stylish.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by LFC

You aren't nothing but a POS troll. Go back under your rock bridge

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
WRT low powered scopes, I suppose one could make the argument that targeted advertising might be able to reinvigourate this market. (No pun intended).

According to friends who live in Europe, low, fixed power scopes are still popular there. Europe seemed to be less affected by the tactical craze that hit North America years ago. I don’t think they can resist advertising any better than North Americans, but there is less wide open space. Maybe they know what works in their situation.

For those of us who don’t use our rifles over 300 or 400 yards for hunting, a high powered scope isn’t practical, except at the range. That never stopped anyone from buying one however.

Companies are going to go with what makes the money.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by LFC

I'd be mad too if I thought a Track scope was equal to a Schmidt and Bender....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
River Ridge;
Good afternoon sir, thanks for the kind words which I do appreciate and will do my best to deserve.

My good friend, the late Willy, by his own admission was "drunk for about 15 years" and quit cold turkey when his doctor told him to stop drinking or his liver would stop for him.

Most folks who knew us thought we were an "interesting" pair to say the least because he was known as a bit of a scofflaw in his younger days, as mentioned a heavy drinker and had a colorful vocabulary. I was me, that is to say a regular church, on the board, didn't/don't cuss that much and was on the wagon along with Willy when we met.

Nonetheless he and I got along famously, did many, many firearm trades, swaps and deals and among many people who helped me a ton when I was learning reloading he stands out as my best mentor for sure.

The last thing I'll mention about Willy and my late buddy Dave who taught me stock making, checkering, rust bluing and was a handloading mentor as well was that they were both devout apostles of St. O'Connor, which meant that cartridge and rifle development had reached it's pinnacle with the .270 in a pre-64 Model 70m. There was some room for discussion on bullets however, they could be either 130gr or 150gr, but had to be Sierras and had to be propelled by H 4831.

Since I was hunting with an '06 for the most part when I first met them, they felt I was mentally deficient but must have decided to try and convert me over to the one true path as they put up with me until both passed on.

Thanks again for the kind words and for letting me share a wee bit about a couple wonderful and colorful shooting and firearm mentors from my past.

All the best to you.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by LFC
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by LFC

I'd be mad too if I thought a Trax scope was equal to a Schmidt and Bender....

You are a fool and have no idea about Tract scopes.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BC30cal
River Ridge;
Good afternoon sir, thanks for the kind words which I do appreciate and will do my best to deserve.

My good friend, the late Willy, by his own admission was "drunk for about 15 years" and quit cold turkey when his doctor told him to stop drinking or his liver would stop for him.

Most folks who knew us thought we were an "interesting" pair to say the least because he was known as a bit of a scofflaw in his younger days, as mentioned a heavy drinker and had a colorful vocabulary. I was me, that is to say a regular church, on the board, didn't/don't cuss that much and was on the wagon along with Willy when we met.

Nonetheless he and I got along famously, did many, many firearm trades, swaps and deals and among many people who helped me a ton when I was learning reloading he stands out as my best mentor for sure.

The last thing I'll mention about Willy and my late buddy Dave who taught me stock making, checkering, rust bluing and was a handloading mentor as well was that they were both devout apostles of St. O'Connor, which meant that cartridge and rifle development had reached it's pinnacle with the .270 in a pre-64 Model 70m. There was some room for discussion on bullets however, they could be either 130gr or 150gr, but had to be Sierras and had to be propelled by H 4831.

Since I was hunting with an '06 for the most part when I first met them, they felt I was mentally deficient but must have decided to try and convert me over to the one true path as they put up with me until both passed on.

Thanks again for the kind words and for letting me share a wee bit about a couple wonderful and colorful shooting and firearm mentors from my past.

All the best to you.

Dwayne

Dwane we don’t know each other at all but I sincerely enjoy reading your posts. You come across sincere & caring along with a fun story that adds color to the conversation. Glad you’re here & I hope to read more of your thoughts over time.

Stay warm & out of avoidable trouble,

Tim

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
About like their users

Phil,

I'm in a bad way. Both '06s wear 4x scopes.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Just bought another .30-06 today--which has a 2-1/2X scope! Now am wondering if I can actually hit anything with it! (Though killed quite a few big game animals with 2-1/2x and 3x scopes back in the Stone Age....)

John Steinbeck
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (01Foreman400, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 54 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,463
Posts18,489,835
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.