Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
huntersdog;
Good morning to you sir, I hope that other than dull fillet knives the week treated you acceptably and you're well.

On the Rapala filet knife question, I've got a fair bit of first hand experience as I appear to have become addicted to ice fishing for Yellow Perch on a couple local lakes which have a 20 fish limit.

For knives I've got an ancient birch handled 4" that I picked up at a flea market, then another that's about 15 years old and liked them so much I bought my fishing buddy one last year. We can swap them back and forth and can't tell any difference in the steel between them.

They are a bit fun initially to sharpen because they're so flexible the angles change if you're not quite gentle putting them on.

As mentioned too, once they're sharp, trying to not let them get really dull again if possible is a good plan.

While I've got nearly every sharpening device known to man other than a Lansky type setup, they might actually be okay here as it'd support the blade and keep the angles true.

On mine and buddy's however, I start with a diamond, then go to a white Hard Arkansas and finish with an 8" MDF wheel doped with polishing compound.

I prefer the MDF wheel to a leather strop wheel of the same size on fillet and paring knives as it's easier to see what's going on with the harder surface.

For perch, the edge I'm looking for is one that cuts paper easily, so I'll test on that rather than shaving sharp. If it cleanly slices paper, it will slide through perch hide slick and easy too.

Hopefully that made sense and was useful to you or someone out there.

Good luck with sharpening and with fishing as well!

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
these cheap stainless steel knives have such soft steel, that they dull quickly. They also sharpen back fairly quick. I prefer to use better steel to start with, so that the edge retention is better.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
Rada would be great for those, wouldn’t use it on my hunting knives

Been doing it for a very very long time

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ltppowell
If you fillet a lot of fish and haven't tried "Bubba" products, you are missing out.

I fillet a lot of ocean fish... bought a Bubba, but don’t really like it. What I do like is this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001448V2U/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_9?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

That’s the exact knife the woman at Newport who fillets fish for $$ uses. It’s a pro-grade knife.

I agree that you can over-polish a fillet knife blade. I like it a tiny bit rough; cuts through the bones better. I use one of the simple Lansky-style kits for sharpening my knives and prefer it to the electric sharpener I also have.

This was a good day. Look how calm the ocean is! We caught three of these big boys.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The best sharpness can vary. If you also want to flip the filet and lift the meat off the skin, a less sharp but smooth edge may skid along the skin better.

IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
If you fillet a lot of fish and haven't tried "Bubba" products, you are missing out.

I fillet a lot of ocean fish... bought a Bubba, but don’t really like it. What I do like is this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001448V2U/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_9?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

That’s the exact knife the woman at Newport who fillets fish for $$ uses. It’s a pro-grade knife.

I agree that you can over-polish a fillet knife blade. I like it a tiny bit rough; cuts through the bones better. I use one of the simple Lansky-style kits for sharpening my knives and prefer it to the electric sharpener I also have.

This was a good day. Look how calm the ocean is! We caught three of these big boys.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Wow

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Work Sharp. Thirty seconds and you're done.

This is all I use, perfect every time

Yehai- the most consistent for sure.....read the instructions so you don't slice through the belts.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

192 members (1badf350, 338reddog, 2ndwind, 117LBS, 204guy, 1lessdog, 29 invisible), 2,329 guests, and 979 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,446
Posts18,528,784
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.