-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I’ve found myself without a 1911 (something that doesn’t happen often), and I’m considering the purchase of a new one. My preference is stainless, and probably a 5”, so I’m looking at the S&W E-series, or the Springfield Garrison. The Smith is about $200 more than the Springer… is there good reason for that? What’s your opinion on which is the better gun?

GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Include a SIG SAUER in your search....also.

Keep 'em in the X Ring,
DAN
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I just bought a blued Garrison, and it's the berries. I shot it with the issue magazine and some 30 year old magazines and ammo, and had no hiccups, burps, or anything else. I especially like that they did NOT put the front serrations on the slide, I don't care for the extra serrations at all. It is fit really good and tight, no rattles or shakes, and overall, it's a damned nice gun, a "Loaded" without the extra serrations, in blue no parkerizing.
s

S&W DOES put the extra serrations on everything, as far as I know. I don't like the external extractors on the Smiths, either, but I've not read anything bad about the Smiths, ever, and if anyone does know how to make external extractors work, it would be Smith. However, it just seems wrong to me to have the S&W logo on a 1911, something Colt is known for.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The S&W is a clean, pure pre-'70's, mechanically, with no additional parts added.

It also has full checkering on the frame front strap which I like, as will as scalloping front & rear on the slide.

Both are good, solid guns, so the decision is mainly personal preference unless the price difference is a deal breaker for you.

I have a S&W commander sized E-series & it's been great; the only Springer I have is a TRP, but all their guns are solid, IMO.

MM

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
A buddy just bought a Garrison and it’s a solid gun.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the input thus far, gentleman. It sounds like the basic difference between the two are the ejectors, and the serrations on the front strap and front slide. I wouldn’t mind having the front strap checkered, but I could go without, and I certainly don’t need serrations on the front of the slide. I also don’t necessarily care about the ejectors, as long as they work reliably. $200 difference won’t break the bank, but I want to know my extra money is getting me some benefit. In this case, with my preferences, it doesn’t seem to. So I’m now leaning towards the Garrison.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
After careful consideration I found a deal on the Smith and bought it. I don’t think there was a “wrong answer”… I’m sure either would’ve worked out just fine.

Now, if I could just find a Springfield Ronin in 10mm…

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Rangersedge

I have that same Scandium frame bobtail Commander and am happy with it. I also have a S&W 5" 1911 with target sights that's very accurate.

Last edited by JGray; 01/15/22.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by JGray

I have that same Scandium frame bobtail Commander and am happy with it. I also have a S&W 5" 1911 with target sights that's very accurate.

Me too. It's one hell of a gun. I won't say how many new guns out of the box I've shot, but it's well over 400. This is one of three, exactly three guns, that shot point-of-aim to point-of-impact out of the box. When I first got it, I tested about a dozen different 45acp HP rounds. All worked flawlessly except Winchesters. The Winchesters had/have a really wide mouth on the hollow point that would occasionally get hung up feeding. I settled on Hornady Critical Duty 220gr rounds for carry. And I've never had a hiccup with these rounds in this gun. I can't say that with many guns, including some Glocks.

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Originally Posted by JGray

Me too. It's one hell of a gun. I won't say how many new guns out of the box I've shot, but it's well over 400. This is one of three, exactly three guns, that shot point-of-aim to point-of-impact out of the box. When I first got it, I tested about a dozen different 45acp HP rounds. All worked flawlessly except Winchesters. The Winchesters had/have a really wide mouth on the hollow point that would occasionally get hung up feeding. I settled on Hornady Critical Duty 220gr rounds for carry. And I've never had a hiccup with these rounds in this gun. I can't say that with many guns, including some Glocks.

Mountain10mm:
The one of three you reference, is it the Commander Sc model or the 5” w/target sights ?
Thanks in advance
CD

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It's the Commander length, two-tone one with the orange grips and fixed sights in the pictures. Mine is a Performance Center model and looks identical.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
You have an awesome gun, thanks again.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 21, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,411
Posts18,470,431
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.