-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Auk...I believe these are bob white syrup jars now that youve brought that up. I just looked some of these up.
44 oz

Yup, look just like what i’ve got

Cool, I never knew.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My buddy swears by the tattler reusable lids.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I used to find hundreds of those old red rubber lid ring seals and porcelain disks/ domes on our other farm that has a house from 1914.

Also those pewter Ball lids with the same porcelain and rubber.

Aggravating things scream like a silver dollar on my Whites detector. Man I used to hate digging up those stupid things.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by slumlord

That is a cool old jar. Never ran across one of those around here.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That is a google image but I got several dozen of those.

When we have a massive canning session, I break out those and a few 1/2 gallon Kerrs I have. I even have some gallon sized jars.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Originally Posted by CashisKing

WTT pecans for canning lids...

PM for the best deal.

I got dibs.

Run along now. Thems my lids.

We can either duel over this... or I'll mail both of you a chit ton of pecans for canning lids.

Best we save our bullets for communists I reckon.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
I’ve got 10 year old tomatoes right now. Came across some 1998 green beans couple years ago. Still good. 😃

I would not use a ‘re-used’ for those.

Tossed some early 80s stuff at the farm last year.

I didn't even stick around to catch the aroma when they broke in the dumpster.

Unless the seals were broke, it didn't stink.
And would probably have been fine to eat.
Mushy, maybe. But not harmful.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just to save a little time, with the recent crop of lids, you don't have to boil them before use. That was for the old lids that needed to be softened. The ones made in the 10 or so years are a different seal material. Just use them right out of the box. If you don't believe me, read the label. It says nothing about boiling. Or, try a little googlefu.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Amazon.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Just to save a little time, with the recent crop of lids, you don't have to boil them before use. That was for the old lids that needed to be softened. The ones made in the 10 or so years are a different seal material. Just use them right out of the box. If you don't believe me, read the label. It says nothing about boiling. Or, try a little googlefu.

It does mention doing so in the Ball Bluebook. The don't have to be boiled, just put them in hot water for a few minutes especially to expand the rubber if you've pulled them from new jars you're prepping.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
A
acy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A

Old habits die hard.😰 I've managed to convince myself that I don't need to bring lids to a boil, but I still put them in pretty hot water for a couple of minutes.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by acy

Old habits die hard.😰 I've managed to convince myself that I don't need to bring lids to a boil, but I still put them in pretty hot water for a couple of minutes.

We do this too. Funny that Ball still packs the little magnetic lifter in the canning accessories boxes.

Last edited by MarkWV; 01/17/22.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Beware of those chinese lids off of amazon. Friend bought some and about half of them she used buckled in the canner. Much thinner than ball or kerr.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When we empty a jar, we wash it thoroughly and put the lid back on before storing it. Most people will later get them out of storage and wash them again, but why? If you have the lid snugged down, there won't be any dust or bugs in it. It's already clean. Just rinse the dust off of the outside. Germs won't survive the canning process. That's the whole point of canning - to kill anything that will spoil the food. I've read about people sterilizing the jars before they use them, then sterilizing them again when they can them. It's a complete waste of time.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
We always wash our jars and dry them before use. If we are making jam, we make sure to use a heated jar. I have a dishwasher and two All American canners that help the process along. It’s peace of mind for me knowing I put a clean vegetable in a clean jar with a clean lid. That’s the way my mom and dad taught me, so I’m not changing. Never had the first issue with anything I’ve canned following their process in the 35 years Ive been doing this. Takes more time, more than likely, but it doesn’t bother me.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
It seems the world has gone plumb nuts.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by wabigoon
It seems the world has gone plumb nuts.

Sometimes it does, shortage of supplies affects some of the oddest things. Ammunition and jar lids….two things I enjoy messing with, and from the sound of it, a lot of us do.

Where I work, we are feeling the strain on short and even no supplies. Customers do not want to hear that. It’s a fight with the vendor until you show them a .gov contract, then it’s a higher price you are paying to be first in line.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Lot of Amish I know reuse the lids, also just can stuff in screw top jars other stuff has come in. Makes me think the whole "use a new lid every time" thing is something the jar/lid manufacturers started long ago.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There doesn't seem to be any shortage of canning supplies around here.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

325 members (1lesfox, 160user, 2500HD, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 27 invisible), 1,943 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,016
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.