Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Sheesh, no wonder so many need a damn backpack for a days hunt. If it don't fit in my pockets it don't go. I take a sandwich for mid day on an all day hunt and that's it.

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 1beaver_shooter
Beanie weenies, nabs,Vienna sausages, and all sorts of things that my wife doesn't want me to have.

Yep. Its not hunting season without Vienna sausages, saltine crackers and either pork and beans or beanie weenies.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well sure a big beef or ham and Colby cheese sandwich cut in half, one half at 11:00 and the other at 1:00. Hunting the far and few deer where I do, killing time is more likely than seeing a deer, so dispelling boredom and staying awake is important. Hot Mountain Dew in my thermos keeps me wired with sugar and caffeine and M&M peanuts in the 7 to a package snack size are my go to snack. To stay alert I need to play with those M&M's in my mouth. I can get half an hour out of each package with minimal movement in my stand.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Gonna have to come up with something new, as I’m low-carbing it. Maybe cheese and jerky or cold cuts.

I know, spiced shrimp!

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Thought this was about deer hunting snacks..... didnt know some guys like to snack on toilet paper....
never mind.

My comfort food for the deer standing is a ham sandwich with swiss cheese. Has to be swiss.
A thermos of hot tea sugared with brown sugar.
A ziploc with enough oreo cookies. Some of them get dunked in the tea.
and a Snickers bar.
If its really cold.... the Snickers is in my shirt pocket to stay soft.

In my truck i have a diet Coke or two just in case.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I would go batshit crazy if I had to sit still and stare at the same trees for more than a couple hours, then I gotta start moving around. To that end, I take minimal stuff which includes snacks - just a handful of candy bars (at least one of which must be a Milky Way for good luck, as that's what my Dad issued me on our first hunts in the mid-60's), and a pint bottle of water (as much for rinsing blood of the hands as for quenching thirst). I could cram all the junk in the pockets and game pouch of my old red Woolrich coat, but for convenience sake have started using an Israeli paratrooper haversack. Carrying a meal of sorts, to me, is folly, as I'm not likely to starve in a day in the woods and the supper is then relished all the more.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Tuna in foil pack, candy bar, apple

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Iced Vanilla Zingers are good luck...

The Rifle is the Weapon of Democracy
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Home made jerky or some landjaeger, some candy (preferably a Skor or Heath bar), maybe an apple and a small bottle of water. Most times I may never eat or drink any of it, but I always like to have a little something with me.

I also make sure I have a good celebratory cigar (and one for a buddy) along with a toast of Redbreast in my ATV pack, just in case.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 12/26/21.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Clif Bars - white chocolate macadamia nuts.
Those don't have the purple-haired soccer playing lesbo on the package.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Trail mix I make.

+1
Also beef jerky.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I stop at the deli on the way into deer camp and buy sliced sandwich pepperoni and cheddar cheese. I put a bit of both in a sandwich baggie. It's tastier and cheaper than those meat and cheese sticks.

Additionally, I buy a bag of pretzels and take a handful of them in another sandwich bag.

Lastly, I have a small Stanley thermos full of coffee. Back in the old days, I'd empty in a packet of hot chocolate mix, but that's not a good idea anymore with the Diabetes.

For my afternoon sits, I usually take peanuts and fill the thermos with lemonade-flavored water.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I never eat or sleep while in the stand.

You ain't about that life.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Just this year I switched from Snickers to cheese curds and sausage sticks. Since Straka's and Carr Valley are easy driving distance for the hunting camp, this was a major upgrade.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Granola bars. Simple.

-Ken

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Protein bar, trail mix, bottle of water.

If you aren't winning, you better be learning !
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kendibs
Granola bars. Simple.

-Ken

Just have to put them in some sort of container as the packaging sounds louder than somebody walking through waist high leaves.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I try not to eat much when in the deer stand due the inevitable issue of pooping while hunting!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Usually either a Snickers Bar or a bag of M&M’s with peanuts.

I took a buddy hunting once and he brought a bunch of granola bars to snack on. I put him in his blind and told him the feeder would go off at 3:30 PM. The feeder failed to go off because of a bad battery. So he got out of the blind and walked over to the feeder and crumbled up some granola bars on the ground. He got back in the blind and a hog came to the feeder and sniffed around about 4:30. The hog started eating the granola bars. He made the shot and got a nice sow that weighed about 150 pounds. 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My Dad and Uncles all being meat hunters taught me that your senses are sharper with an empty belly and to hunt “hungry”. I will admit I sometimes take a small baggy of cheese and an apple if I plan on being out all day.

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,544 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,566
Posts18,473,245
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.