Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
What is it, and how does it affect us. I saw it mentioned on a Conservative questionaire but no details. Anyone know what it's all about?

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
From Wiki - Cancel culture or call-out culture is a modern form of ostracism in which someone is thrust out of social or professional circles - whether it be online, on social media, or in person. Those subject to this ostracism are said to have been "cancelled". The expression "cancel culture" has mostly negative connotations and is used in debates on free speech and censorship.

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cancel_culture

It is what you see around here should anyone say they were vaccinated. Those persons are put down, insulted and then ignored. It's much like when we were in school. You go with the flow or you were teased or ignored. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
When someone in any sort of influential position says something against the current woke orthodoxy, the wokies band together to try to get them fired from their job. Usually done via social media and hounding their employer. Probably 99% of the attackers have no idea what the issue is, but they gain cred from jumping on the bandwagon.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I always thought it was something someone just made up to fill a void, the void between Peoples ears, and influencing and dissecting society.

Culture is Art, and if anyone knows anything about cancelling Art it is the Chinese who have cancelled and destroyed one of the richest cultures to ever exist, their own.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
From Wiki - Cancel culture or call-out culture is a modern form of ostracism in which someone is thrust out of social or professional circles - whether it be online, on social media, or in person. Those subject to this ostracism are said to have been "cancelled". The expression "cancel culture" has mostly negative connotations and is used in debates on free speech and censorship.

It is what you see around here should anyone say they were vaccinated. Those persons are put down, insulted and then ignored. It's much like when we were in school. You go with the flow or you are teased or ignored. smile

Nice, the definition of victim mentality too.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

It is what you see around here should anyone say they were vaccinated. Those persons are put down, insulted and then ignored. It's much like when we were in school. You go with the flow or you are teased or ignored. smile

As opposed to requesting the government to forcefully subdue those that don’t agree with you. For the love of God the amount of hypocrisy in that post triggers my gag reflex.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Try not to be upset. It wasn’t directed at you. laugh It’s just an Internets definition.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m fine with the definition, it’s the commentary that followed that made my stomach turn.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
laugh Thanks for helping demonstrate the definition.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Dear Steve: I don't think for a minute it is whether or not you are vaccinated. It is the superiority, the arrogance, the condescension, the contempt you show for us lesser unwashed mortals. You do remember? You do realize you were doing it?

Last edited by Hastings; 01/17/22. Reason: added 2 words

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I completely support your right to be vaccinated and make your own decisions on your individual health, I’ll die on that hill. I completely support your right to discuss that openly on a forum such as this or in open dialogue in person or even on media . What I do not support is any individual calling upon their government to force those decisions upon their people. I vehemently oppose those people and condemn that thinking to the utmost.
Either you don’t understand the difference or pretend not to.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks for making your feelings known.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for making your feelings known.

So do you understand the difference or are you choosing not to comment?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
the shootist;
Good morning Brother Keith, I hope that you're all well in southern Manitoba.

I believe I've mentioned we've got family on both sides in your neck of the woods so we keep up with your weather through them.

You've asked what effect cancel culture has on us and I'll attempt to articulate what that is.

In the new "Cancel Culture" anyone who disagrees with what "the Group/Mob" believes to be the one true path - today - will be shouted down, erased from social media and in some instances fired from their occupation.

I'll note before going further that it's not uncommon at all for HR personnel to check a prospective or present employees social media posts nowadays - cool, no?

What this does then in my view Brother Keith is immediately stifles - cancels if you will - any ability to meaningfully discuss views which are counter to their own. There's no room for discussion or even attempting to understand another way of looking at anything.

When we're problem solving even something as simple as how to prune a fruit tree or plant beans, it's a presumptuous position to think I'm the only one who knows the right and true path, correct?

How much more so then when it comes to things which really and truly matter.

I'll note too Brother Keith that not unlike some religious sects we've both likely had firsthand experience with, the position of the Woke Mob changes and evolves, sometimes exceedingly rapidly. That then catches some of the Woke Mob themselves being in a position which is now out of favor with their former Mob Mates and they find themselves cancelled, out of work and possibly unemployable in their chosen field.

Looking at this sort of thing in a historical context Brother Keith, we've seen this before for sure. Anyone who's read a book or two about the French Revolution for instance will see some spooky parallels.

The wise reader would then do everything and anything to become a hog farmer as far away from Paris as humanly possible, perhaps in New France or Louisiana, as the life expectancy of the guillotine equipped Woke Mob members is tenuous at best.

Anyways sir, as always that's just one old BC redneck's view on the world as I perceive and do my best to understand it.

All the best to you all out there on the flatlands Brother Keith.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
A really good example of cancel culture and how it impacts not only an individual but also in this case teachiing systems that will steer future generations has occurred at Mount Royal University in Calgary with Frances Widdowson.

The phrases "race hustler" and the "deliberate creation of sensational myths" referenced in the article below seem to be all to common these days and are used as drivers for cancel culture.

This is a very good article by Barbara Kay and covers three instances on on-going cancel culture.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/ba...t-unmarked-graves-at-residential-schools

Barbara Kay: What we don't know about unmarked graves at residential schools
Author of the article:Barbara Kay
Publishing date:Jan 17, 2022 • 4 hours ago • 5 minute read • 120 Comments

Over the past month, three noteworthy events have presented as provocative grist to the groaning mill of Indigenous-“settler” relations.

Article content
First, acclaimed Cree playwright/novelist Tomson Highway’s memoir , Permanent Astonishment, was published by Penguin-Random House. Highway’s experiences at a residential school did not embitter him. On the contrary, he credited that nine-year stint for the foundational skills that led to creative self-realization. But saying so publicly, once permissible, has become a form of blasphemy in the chattering classes.

In his 2018 Quillette essay on Canada’s “cult of the noble savage,” which included remarks about his abrupt departure from editorship of The Walrus magazine, Jonathan Kay explained Highway’s “problematic” stature amongst progressives. In 2015, Kay commissioned an article from Highway in anticipation of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s report. Highway’s submission was “brilliantly crafted,” but “heretical.” The piece was never published because, as a white colleague explained to Kay, it would upset “sensitive constituencies” — Indigenous groups and their non-Indigenous allies, as well as donors — who “had come to see our magazine as a reliable voice for the approved position on this issue.” It was then, Kay realized, “that what I had entered was not a journalistic enterprise, but a sort of [religious] congregation.”

Then, on Dec. 20 — perfect timing for news that drops stone-dead in minutes — Mount Royal University informed Frances Widdowson, a tenured professor in the Department of Economics, Justice and Policy Studies, that she was being fired for having contributed to a “toxic workplace environment,” thereby “negatively impacting the mission and reputation of the university.”

Widdowson’s extensive scholarly research is not in question. Her bio says she “uses a political economy perspective in her research on Aboriginal and environmental policy, as well as the politics of religion.” But even the title of one paper, “The Political economy of ‘Truth and Reconciliation’: Neotribal Rentierism and the Creation of the Victim/Perpetrator Dichotomy,” reveals why she is considered a blasphemer by Indigenous activists and their campus allies.

Widdowson never minces words. Her antagonists are particularly enraged by her needling trope “race hustler” to describe “a self-proclaimed spokesperson for a particular racial identity during a perceived incident of racial tension, so that the individual can exploit the situation to serve their own interests.”

In September 2020, Widdowson’s pointed criticism of the Black Lives Matter movement (BLM “has destroyed MRU”) led to a colleagues-initiated petition to have her fired that garnered 6,000 signatures. But even before that, her fate was likely sealed in 2016 when she protested the plan to “indigenize” learning, an ideology-based plan to “embrace Indigenous knowledge and ways of knowing, to integrate Indigenous teachings and practices.”

Widdowson is happy to see Indigenous beliefs studied, objectively, as we do other belief systems like Christianity, but indigenized learning forces students to actively valorize these “ways of knowing” as equal to science-based knowledge. Such coerced genuflection to other people’s idols is just not on for her.

Widdowson is now engaged in research around the hot-potato issue of unmarked graves at Indian Residential Schools (IRS). Which brings us to the promised third event. Jacques Rouillard, professor emeritus in the Department of history at the Université de Montréal, has published an article in the Dorchester Review , titled “In Kamloops, Not One Body Has Been Found.”

One of 2021’s biggest stories was the “discovery” of unmarked children’s graves in the grounds of Kamloops, B.C.’s, former industrial residential school (1890-1978), founded by Shuswap Chief Louis Clexlixqen, and run by the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate and the Sisters of St. Anne of Quebec.

The “discovery” meme arose from a scanning by ground-penetrating radar in a search for the remains of children already surmised to have been buried there. A preliminary report did not find bodies, but rather soil disruptions in a nearby apple orchard. No remains were exhumed, but First Nation Chief Rosanne Casimir stated that according to community “knowledge,” the soil abnormalities were 215 “missing children,” some as young as three.

The anthropologist who oversaw the scans cautiously theorized that there were likely 200 “probable burials” — not specifying age — based on the disturbances. But only excavation could provide further evidence of anything, and no excavation has yet been done. But the story was too good to fact-check, and went viral, often with the trope “mass graves” substituting for “unmarked graves,” a distinction with an enormous difference, since “mass” graves are associated with genocide.

Suddenly there was talk of “thousands” of “missing” Indigenous children whose parents had not been informed of their deaths. The Parliamentary flag was lowered to half-mast; China (of all nations) called for an investigation into Canada’s human rights violations at the UN Human Rights Tribunal; Pope Francis expressed pain over the “shocking discovery in Canada of the remains of 215 children” at Kamloops.

Nobody in political authority — certainly not our instantly and abjectly apologetic prime minister — has to date pointed out that no actual remains have been found. Thus, Rouillard writes, “[G]overnments and the media are simply granting credence to what is really a thesis: the thesis of the ‘disappearance’ of children from residential schools.” The consensus of “cultural genocide,” endorsed by the TRC (but contested by many accredited historians routinely cold-shouldered by uncritical mainstream media), has effectively been elevated to literal genocide, “a conclusion that the Commission explicitly rejects in its [TRC] report.”

The bulk of the article details myth-busting evidence that should act as a cautionary tale against uncritical acceptance of feelings-based narratives over objective academic inquiry. Rouillard concludes, “It is hard to believe that a preliminary search for an alleged cemetery or mass grave in an apple orchard … could have led to such a spiral of claims endorsed by the Canadian government and repeated by mass media all over the world … Imaginary stories and emotion have outweighed the pursuit of truth.”

Rouillard’s essay then terminates in a well-considered question — one all Canadians should ponder — that could be applied with equal relevance to The Walrus’s cancelling of Tomson Highway and MRU’s firing of Frances Widdowson: “On the road to reconciliation, isn’t the best way to seek and tell the whole truth rather than deliberately create sensational myths?”

National Post

Hugh
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
HughW;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day's looking to be a good one on your side of the big hills and your family and friends are well.

Thanks for that interesting bit of reading, I appreciate it.

Being geographically close to the Kamloops situation, as well as the church arsons which started in my back yard, I'll say that to me there's a whole lot going on that isn't being reported on and leave it there.

Indeed part of the reason I'll say that is one needs to be careful about what one says without proof these days and even then it's sometimes more trouble than one was prepared for.

Tomson Highway was interviewed on CBC radio this past fall and I was listening to it coming down from hunting.

Before the folks here warm up the tar pot and begin tearing up good pillows, there's exactly one radio station that carries up into that section of the mountains, though indeed truly I could have chosen silence then and like as not should now too.... grin

Anyways after listening to him I'm not surprised that the wokesters cancelled him as he speaks his mind for sure. He'd be an interesting chap to have a coffee with I'd have to think, if nothing else he'd give me cause to think about why I think this about that, you know?

Thanks again for the reading this morning and all the best to you all Hugh.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cancel Culture was invented to attack the Country born of Western Nations.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Rouillard’s essay then terminates in a well-considered question — one all Canadians should ponder — that could be applied with equal relevance to The Walrus’s cancelling of Tomson Highway and MRU’s firing of Frances Widdowson:

“On the road to reconciliation, isn’t the best way to seek and tell the whole truth rather than deliberately create sensational myths?”

Whether it’s reconciliation, wisdom or justice, these words mean a lot.

This ties in quite well with Tara Henley’s essays. When the truth is deliberately twisted, falsified or ignored, we have lost our way. When bullies are allowed to take over, humanity is less.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
“This ties in quite well with Tara Henley’s essays. When the truth is deliberately twisted, falsified or ignored, we have lost our way. When bullies are allowed to take over, humanity is less.”

This is a conceptual problem for you. You cannot imply in one post you are against bullies and their oppressive behavior and in another post fully support a government forcing people to comply with a medical procedure they do not with to have. This is especially true when informed consent is withheld.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
There is no conceptual problem.

Some people have a problem with anyone who trusts doctors. I have no reason to doubt the infectious disease specialists and others in related fields. They are not out to kill me. I believe that they are better qualified than you or me to make decisions about COVID. They are doing their best.

You and some others did not like when I posted what the provinces or the federal government decided on, regarding COVID. I refer to the travel restrictions, vaccinations, etc. Those decisions were not made by me. You and some others were upset because I did not join the chorus of objectors. And what if I had? Would that have changed any of the policies? Would they have been better able to fight COVID? No, nothing would have changed at all. I choose to leave those decisions to the people who are trained to deal with things of that nature.

There are several people here, Wabigoon in particular, who owns a cottage on this side of the border. He wanted to check his property and spend time there. I hope that I helped him make his trip to the cottage a little easier, despite the regulations, by providing the phone nos and websites that he needed to visit.

I support my country, even when the government says or does things that I disagree with. I served in the military for 22 years and did things that, given the choice, I would have preferred not to do. I support Canada all the time, not just when it's convenient. Any push backs that I am involved with are not discussed on a website like this.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (17Fan, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 67 invisible), 2,369 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,319
Posts18,487,362
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.