Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Calvin
We are talking about 7-1mil properties here. Those are a little more complicated than a $250k house you can sell in a few days on Craigslist.

Originally Posted by WhiteTrash

Originally Posted by Bristoe
Depends on the Realtor.

One of the primary reasons to use a realtor is to get maximum exposure for your property. If you want to go to the trouble, you can get exposure for your property by yourself.

You absolutely need to come up with some comps, however. It's the only way to get a realistic appraisal for what your property is worth.

You can stick a "pie in the sky" price on it, but the lender will have it appraised before they make a loan on it. They won't loan more than it's appraised for.

Of course, if the buyer is paying cash or has enough money stashed away to pay the difference between what it appraises for and what you ask for it, there's no problem.

In today's market, I wouldn't be hesitant to ask for more that the bank will appraise it for. But by doing so, you're going to eliminate every buyer who only has enough to pay the minimum down payment,...because they're not going to have $30K extra to fill the gap between what the bank will loan on the property and what you ask for it.

Bottom line,....if you want to go to the trouble sell it fsbo. You'll save some money.

But you're going to have to come up with some comps. They may not be exact comps. But you're going to have to come up with some recent sale documentation from the immediate area in order to justify the price that you put on the property or the bank will balk. (If the price for your property is higher than the comps)

Of course, you can always put a "pie in the sky" price on it and hope that somebody shows up with a suitcase full of hunna dollar bills.

It happens, these days.

Untrue you do not have to come up with comps… that will be the responsibility of the person buying it, or the bank for that matter if there is a lender involved, yes the lender has the ultimate say as to how much they are willing to give X number of dollars to the person that’s buying but it is of no consequence to the seller. It is absolutely sickening how used house salesmen have attempted to complicate the process with coin phrases like comps… I would probably guess that over 80% of the time an appraiser doesn’t even physically look at the property, most times you would be lucky if they even look at the inspection. The game is rigged in the realtors favor, they offer no protection and will not do a thing for you if there is even the slightest chance it doesn’t benefit them. I equate them to politicians and insurance agents. So if your looking to get fuced at least find one that’s good looking.

Calvin do you know or are you a used house salesman? you sound like one.

GB1

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
If you can't come up with a price any other way, you can always get a responsible bank or mortgage company to recommend someone to do an appraisal. It usually costs about $500.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
The property just went up three bucks.

Good one!

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If you don’t list it be prepared for realtors to call you up every day. They will all claim they have a buyer wanting to buy your house. All you need to do is to assign them the listing. Then they will walk away and hope someone else will sell it so they get their 3%.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’d define reasonably clearly what’s next before moving forward that way you could compare risk/reward for staying/leaving in a more objective way. Without a target, money looks better than it actually is. Make sure you end up where you actually want to be instead of the unknown with a pocket full of cash and no direction and subtle regrets.

What would it VRBO for? We are pretty heavy in real estate and have found keeping properties sometimes outweighs selling using the VRBO platform or creating your own duplex out of a big house (after you move out into your next property) and grabbing passive income.

Quickest way to give up 6-7% off of a big number is to hire a realtor - leverage that house on your own dime it’ll be cheaper

Just my .02 cheers

Last edited by PintsofCraft; 01/18/22.
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

The game is rigged in the realtors favor, they offer no protection and will not do a thing for you if there is even the slightest chance it doesn’t benefit them.

I can't see how anything is rigged in the Realtors favor. It's a simple process. The Realtor does what's necessary to sell your house and you pay them for the service.

If you're the buyer, the Realtor shows you around, tells you who the goos inspectors are, lines you up with the lenders who are offering the best rates,..and the buyer pays absolutely nothing.

But it's nothing to me one way or another. If someone wants to sell fsbo, just do it.

I've sold properties both ways.

But saying that a seller doesn't need to come up with comps is ignorant. It's the only way to come up with a realistic price for your property.

Maybe you get the comps and you want to ask more than the comps indicate. That's fine.

Or maybe you want to sell fast so you price it below the comps. That's fine too.

But either way, you need to know the going market value for the property you're selling.

That's just common sense.

Bristoe is right.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Calvin
We are talking about 7-1mil properties here. Those are a little more complicated than a $250k house you can sell in a few days on Craigslist.

Depends on the Realtor.

One of the primary reasons to use a realtor is to get maximum exposure for your property. If you want to go to the trouble, you can get exposure for your property by yourself.

You absolutely need to come up with some comps, however. It's the only way to get a realistic appraisal for what your property is worth.

You can stick a "pie in the sky" price on it, but the lender will have it appraised before they make a loan on it. They won't loan more than it's appraised for.

Of course, if the buyer is paying cash or has enough money stashed away to pay the difference between what it appraises for and what you ask for it, there's no problem.

In today's market, I wouldn't be hesitant to ask for more that the bank will appraise it for. But by doing so, you're going to eliminate every buyer who only has enough to pay the minimum down payment,...because they're not going to have $30K extra to fill the gap between what the bank will loan on the property and what you ask for it.

Bottom line,....if you want to go to the trouble sell it fsbo. You'll save some money.

But you're going to have to come up with some comps. They may not be exact comps. But you're going to have to come up with some recent sale documentation from the immediate area in order to justify the price that you put on the property or the bank will balk. (If the price for your property is higher than the comps)

Of course, you can always put a "pie in the sky" price on it and hope that somebody shows up with a suitcase full of hunna dollar bills.

It happens, these days.

Untrue you do not have to come up with comps… that will be the responsibility of the person buying it, or the bank for that matter if there is a lender involved, yes the lender has the ultimate say as to how much they are willing to give X number of dollars to the person that’s buying but it is of no consequence to the seller. It is absolutely sickening how used house salesmen have attempted to complicate the process with coin phrases like comps… I would probably guess that over 80% of the time an appraiser doesn’t even physically look at the property, most times you would be lucky if they even look at the inspection. The game is rigged in the realtors favor, they offer no protection and will not do a thing for you if there is even the slightest chance it doesn’t benefit them. I equate them to politicians and insurance agents. So if your looking to get fuced at least find one that’s good looking.

Calvin do you know or are you a used house salesman? you sound like one.

I dable. Remote Alaskan properties, not owner occupied and that it usually takes boats to get to which fits in well with my other skill set.

The OP is sitting on a valuable property. He owes it to himself to get the most out of it whether it’s fsbo or having a broker sell it.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by skeen
Gotta be careful, had a buddy do that - list it at what he thought was a ridiculously high price, and had a cash offer for the full ask same day. shocked

They weren't prepared to move but took the offer anyways. laugh

I had two buddies that had the same thing happen!

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Buck720
Originally Posted by skeen
Gotta be careful, had a buddy do that - list it at what he thought was a ridiculously high price, and had a cash offer for the full ask same day. shocked

They weren't prepared to move but took the offer anyways. laugh

I had two buddies that had the same thing happen!

Happening a lot now. People don’t realize how much things are worth and it’s kinda a bummer as they left good money on the table.

Last edited by Calvin; 01/18/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JeffA
If you have avacodo green shag carpets and harvast gold formica countertops, proceed with your upgrades.

Otherwise it's a waste of time and money.

Whenever you finally decide to sell, didn't you say you were a couple years out a couple years ago?

Whenever that time comes for you, the market is either going to be more of the same, like it is today where you can just tack up a sign in the yard and sell it in short time all by yourself or the market could crash and you wouldn't be able to sell it for squat no matter what you do.

So money spent on improvements is just a waste unless your roof has timed out or the plumbing is rotten, you won't get a return on anything else.

Most homes listed in the higher price ranges get gutted and remodeled to the buyers desire after the sell.

Save your money, buy a new gun, take the family on vacation.

Just sell the dam place and quit just talking about it already.

Oh yeah, about your question, if I saw a home listed above market for a extended time then it started dropping in price, I'd look at it a lot closer to see if there was something dreadful I was overlooking.
If everything passed the sniff test, I'd figure you were getting desperate and I'd lowball the schit outta ya with a offer.

No kidding. Grow some balls and list it and stop being wimpy. Period..

Or don't.

PS- why are you asking for a realtor when all you're talkin about is listing it on Zillow? Zillow is not the MLS.

PSS- Most realtors don't know schit, anyway.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Windfall
I think that the problem with not using an agent is not knowing the comps well enough yourself and not knowing how to get multiple offers over listing price. When the wife and I bought this place we found it ourselves and because the wife knew who was good in the area we got him as our buyers agent. It was the best 3k we ever spent getting him and nailing this place down for the asking price that day. The people sold it on their own and left money on the table because it appraised higher than their asking price.

Learn how to do comps yourself without a realtor. There's a thousand websites out there to help you with that.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Lots's of bad information in here. Listen to Windfall and Bristoe. Pharmseller, get an agent. Not just any agent, get a good one. They way you are valuing your property is not accurate. Real Estate agents get a bad wrap, but the truth is you can name virtually any occupation and say the same thing. The best agents are in the top 20% just like contractors, or a lot of other professions. Just because someone is an agent doesn't mean they have an idea what they are doing. Any agent that would recommend to someone to not get an inspection is risking a law suit. Some people do decide against that but get them to sign something that says they are disregarding their agents advice. I'm aware of a sale of new construction that was less than a year old, and the crawl space was flooded and they didn't discover it until they were starting to move in. Then they couldn't get the contractor to respond to calls. It cost them thousands for temporary housing and storage of furniture. It was a seriously bad deal.

I sold a house a year ago and it was a pretty small old house. I got 15 offers in the first day and a half. I called every single agent that sent an offer and asked them 2 things. Where did they come up with the price, and if the house doesn't appraise to the buyers have "bridge money" to cover the difference between the appraisal and their offer. Only one did. Most agents have never heard of that. Contract information is a big part of doing a deal that meets state regulation. Not done right means someone can certainly get stuck.

Like I said, not every agent is a good agent. Not every contractor is a good contractor. During this time when contractors are building houses as fast as they can, most cities are short on inspectors themselves. We are hearing stories regularly about inspectors driving around the subdivision and handing off an approved inspection. There was a builder in this area that was offering $500 if you don't get an inspection. What does that tell you. Not every improvement in a house is permitted. Some don't need to be, but some do. That can come back and bite the occupant if they do something that requires a permit.

It's like anything else. If you don't know what you are doing, you don't know what to ask. That being said, do what you want, but be willing to pay for bad decisions.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
In answer to Pharmseller's question, you need to take some things under consideration.
1. Make sure you can afford a house when you move out and are good to go.
2. Prices are going to continue to go up. They did level off in some places, and they won't keep going up as fast, but they will continue to go up. It's called supply and demand.
3. Interest rates are expected to go up 3-4 times this year. Those old enough to remember the Carter days, know what that could mean.
4. If your plan to buy is to wait till the prices come down, you've already missed the boat. .

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
There will be likely two or three interest rate hikes this year so the market will likely change yet all real estate is local. Over pricing depending on local market conditions can be against your best interest, you are better off pricing the home at market value or "Below" value to allow multiple buyers to bid up the price.

Your asking price is totally dependent on your level of upgrades your planning on doing plus your basic home features, location, square footage etc.

Zillow has lost a lot of marketing ground...your local MLS system is your friend.

Did you read the part about being ready to sell in the next few years, not now?

Yes I did. Most future home sellers complete their upgrades over a one to two year period of time.

More like one to two months.

New appliances, counters throughout, kitchen sink and faucet, tub and shower in master bath, & painted cabinets right before Christmas, new floors last week, painting now.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

you do not have to come up with comps… that will be the responsibility of the person buying it,

That's the ticket!

Let the buyer tell you what your property's worth!

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
In answer to Pharmseller's question, you need to take some things under consideration.
1. Make sure you can afford a house when you move out and are good to go.
2. Prices are going to continue to go up. They did level off in some places, and they won't keep going up as fast, but they will continue to go up. It's called supply and demand.
3. Interest rates are expected to go up 3-4 times this year. Those old enough to remember the Carter days, know what that could mean.
4. If your plan to buy is to wait till the prices come down, you've already missed the boat. .

We own the house free and clear. Anything we’re likely to buy will be much smaller and less money.

Plan is to wait to buy until we know where we want to spend our time, likely multiple locations.

But not for 4-5 years.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Everyone talks about comps. I’ve had the place appraised for refinancing as well as realtors trying to get me to list with them and the comps are all over the map.

It’s tough to draw parallels sometimes.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Lots's of bad information in here. Listen to Windfall and Bristoe. Pharmseller, get an agent. Not just any agent, get a good one. They way you are valuing your property is not accurate. Real Estate agents get a bad wrap, but the truth is you can name virtually any occupation and say the same thing. The best agents are in the top 20% just like contractors, or a lot of other professions. Just because someone is an agent doesn't mean they have an idea what they are doing. Any agent that would recommend to someone to not get an inspection is risking a law suit. Some people do decide against that but get them to sign something that says they are disregarding their agents advice. I'm aware of a sale of new construction that was less than a year old, and the crawl space was flooded and they didn't discover it until they were starting to move in. Then they couldn't get the contractor to respond to calls. It cost them thousands for temporary housing and storage of furniture. It was a seriously bad deal.

I sold a house a year ago and it was a pretty small old house. I got 15 offers in the first day and a half. I called every single agent that sent an offer and asked them 2 things. Where did they come up with the price, and if the house doesn't appraise to the buyers have "bridge money" to cover the difference between the appraisal and their offer. Only one did. Most agents have never heard of that. Contract information is a big part of doing a deal that meets state regulation. Not done right means someone can certainly get stuck.

Like I said, not every agent is a good agent. Not every contractor is a good contractor. During this time when contractors are building houses as fast as they can, most cities are short on inspectors themselves. We are hearing stories regularly about inspectors driving around the subdivision and handing off an approved inspection. There was a builder in this area that was offering $500 if you don't get an inspection. What does that tell you. Not every improvement in a house is permitted. Some don't need to be, but some do. That can come back and bite the occupant if they do something that requires a permit.

^^^^^^^
This!
It's like anything else. If you don't know what you are doing, you don't know what to ask. That being said, do what you want, but be willing to pay for bad decisions.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Very nice place Pharm. Best of luck with the sale.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Regarding interest rates... Looks like the ship has sailed (...or almost)...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-...its-welcome-morning-brief-100752701.html

M&I on that home in 2021 would be $3,200 (total guess)...

M&I on that home in 2023 will be $5,000 (again a total guess)...

That is going to cool off the market and values A WHOLE LOT IMHO!

Last edited by CashisKing; 01/19/22. Reason: Typos

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (160user, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 51 invisible), 2,549 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,712
Posts18,475,420
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.