Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by GAGoober
Are the Stainless Classics with the Factory Walnut Featherweight Stocks rarer than the synthetic stock ones ? I have a 5 Digit Stainless Classic with Walnut stock in 30-06.

Yes, that is a rare bird. They didn't make many. I have one as well. Great rifles..

Mmmm I wouldn’t say the LA action stainless featherweights are a “rare bird”. The rare birds are the SA stainless featherweights..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by battue
Funny how the standard classic I posted, scoped beats them both. If they had one on.

Not really. Yours has the blind mag, no floor plate. Also the scope only weighs what? 6 oz's? Those leupolds have a lot of plastic parts in them.. I personally like having the floor plate, myself. Could you not afford to do it right?

Look out bsa feeling sassy today..

ha ha. I'm just messing with df. Hopefully he knows that..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by GAGoober
Are the Stainless Classics with the Factory Walnut Featherweight Stocks rarer than the synthetic stock ones ? I have a 5 Digit Stainless Classic with Walnut stock in 30-06.

Yes, that is a rare bird. They didn't make many. I have one as well. Great rifles..

Mmmm I wouldn’t say the LA action stainless featherweights are a “rare bird”. The rare birds are the SA stainless featherweights..

Yes, but you know they only made them both for a very short time.. I searched for a long time to find my 30-06. You recently bought a 270 as well. They seem to be getting harder to find too..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by battue
Funny how the standard classic I posted, scoped beats them both. If they had one on.

Not really. Yours has the blind mag, no floor plate. Also the scope only weighs what? 6 oz's? Those leupolds have a lot of plastic parts in them.. I personally like having the floor plate, myself. Could you not afford to do it right?

How did I ever get by with a Leupold and no floor plate?

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

laissez les bons temps rouler
W
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
How would I go about ordering/purchasing a McMillan Edge stock for my M70 Classic stainless in 308.....see on the site the Pricing Guide for a flat black is $363. Then it looks like would have either order Basic inlet which includes action outline & barrel channel $416.....or Full inlet which includes action, floorplate, & barrel channel $519. Need some help on this one. Have no idea what I need...just know I have the original synthetic stock with floorplate that came with the gun when I bought it new in 1993 or 94.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Call and ask for Josh, he’ll go over the entire check list. Then he’ll email it to you to confirm.

Example list, I probably missed something.

McMillan Hunters Edge for a Model 70 Post ‘64.
Short action (308 win)
Right or Left hand bolt.
Standard or Featherweight barrel channel.
Sounds like you have the factory 2pc bottom metal.
Length of pull (13.5” is standard).
Sling studs (stainless or blue) or flush cup attachment.
1/2” or 1” Decelerator pad.
Paint color or colors. Lots to choose from.
It’ll already have aluminum pillars installed.

This one is black with gray speckles and is probably my favorite with stainless. Last time I ordered a stock I was told no more red pads and that sucks..

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

W
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
gunnut308,thanks for the help. My stock does not have aluminum pillars. I saw that color like yours....great. What type of pad is yours? Yes, 2 pc bottom metal. Guess will call and ask for Josh.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It’s a Decelerator pad. I believe they are made by Pachmeyer. McMillan only offers black Decelerator pads now. If you like red you could order it without a pad and have a gun smith install a red one.
Some folks don’t care for the red.

McMillan also has several nice paint camo patterns. Snoop around on the site for a bit. Lots to look at.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
How would I go about ordering/purchasing a McMillan Edge stock for my M70 Classic stainless in 308.

Something to keep in mind. The Classics came with 2 piece steel bottom metal. At least all I've seen did and I've owned 3 of them. I've heard that some had one piece bottom metal, but I haven't seen one. You might want to consider buying a stock designed for the newer 1 piece bottom metal and change it out at the same time. I did that and used aluminum PTG bottom metal. That saves several ounces. Not showing any in stock at the moment.

https://pacifictoolandgauge.com/1623-bdl

I've bought a total of 4 Edge stocks used in the Classifieds here at a substantial discount over ordering new. I didn't get to choose the color, or options, but I like them just fine. If you're patient and keep an eye on the classifieds you may find one too. It takes several months to get a stock from McMillan and it might well be faster to buy a used one.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
McMillan has sped it up a bit lately. My last order was for two stocks and they were on my porch in less than 7 weeks.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunnut308
Call and ask for Josh, he’ll go over the entire check list. Then he’ll email it to you to confirm.

Example list, I probably missed something.

McMillan Hunters Edge for a Model 70 Post ‘64.
Short action (308 win)
Right or Left hand bolt.
Standard or Featherweight barrel channel.
Sounds like you have the factory 2pc bottom metal.
Length of pull (13.5” is standard).
Sling studs (stainless or blue) or flush cup attachment.
1/2” or 1” Decelerator pad.
Paint color or colors. Lots to choose from.
It’ll already have aluminum pillars installed.

This one is black with gray speckles and is probably my favorite with stainless. Last time I ordered a stock I was told no more red pads and that sucks..

Rifle looks great. I'm a sucker for those red recoil pads. I'm in agreement with JMR on buying used mcmillans. However, I have not seen any used ones here for a long time. It may turn into a long waiting game. The last ones I bought used were damn good deals though. I think I bought 2 from Oregon45 here. They were both hunters compacts. One of my favorite stocks to throw a model 70 action into:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
The majority of those were around $350.00 used, but in like new condition.

However, I'm one that doesn't mind the factory tupperware. I just glass bed them and paint them and I'm pretty happy:

I understand the weight factor, but you really aren't going to lose a bunch of weight by going to a Micky from a short action factory tupperware. The hunters edge is going to weigh in around 22-24 oz's, the short action tupperware is going to be around 27-29 oz's. So you lose around a 1/4 pound. Sometimes there's a reason to pull a stock and replace it with a mcmillan edge or even a micky with standard fill. That is actually my preference, as I do not like the graphite edge stocks. And sometimes it makes more sense to just upgrade the factory stock. One thing that can be said about the Mcmillan is it's going to be a lot stronger and more rigid, where the tupperware stocks are kind of soft. That in no way means it will shoot better in the Mcmillan, because it won't. The tupperware done up right is hell for utilitarian, but can also look and feel pretty good. IMHO...

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Gotta join the club!!

Winchester Red Pad Club

Weight for giggles.

Weight

Last edited by ldg397; 01/18/22.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ldg397
Gotta join the club!!

Winchester Red Pad Club

Weight for giggles.

Weight

That's a beauty. I like the brown stock with red pad. One of my favorites.. I have a few..

Even the factory wood stocks with red pad looks good..

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Beautiful BSA!!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I understand the weight factor, but you really aren't going to lose a bunch of weight by going to a Micky from a short action factory tupperware. The hunters edge is going to weigh in around 22-24 oz's, the short action tupperware is going to be around 27-29 oz's. So you lose around a 1/4 pound.

Perhaps even a bit more than 1/4 pound.

Tupperware from the 22-250 posted earlier. 32 oz.

Figure roughly $100/oz weight reduction for the stock going to a hunters edge.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The big weight savings is the edge combined with a change to one piece pt&g aluminum bottom metal since it is an option for inlet on the Mickey.

Last edited by ldg397; 01/19/22.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
I understand the weight factor, but you really aren't going to lose a bunch of weight by going to a Micky from a short action factory tupperware. The hunters edge is going to weigh in around 22-24 oz's, the short action tupperware is going to be around 27-29 oz's. So you lose around a 1/4 pound.

Perhaps even a bit more than 1/4 pound.

Tupperware from the 22-250 posted earlier. 32 oz.

Figure roughly $100/oz weight reduction for the stock going to a hunters edge.

I'm surprised the short action stocks weigh the same as the long action. That's what my long action tupperwares weighed..

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
They are the exact same stock with the exception of the action size and material around the fw barrel profile. Even the ejection cutouts are the same.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gunnut308
It’s a Decelerator pad. I believe they are made by Pachmeyer. McMillan only offers black Decelerator pads now. If you like red you could order it without a pad and have a gun smith install a red one.
Some folks don’t care for the red.

McMillan also has several nice paint camo patterns. Snoop around on the site for a bit. Lots to look at.

Man, no red pads!!!! WTF is going on!

I was okay with all of the other changes, but no red pads.... What the heck is the world coming to crazy

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have not read the whole post so this may be redundant .
I have an early model 70 stainless Tupperware sn 174000 in 3006. I could not get it to shoot consistently. The Tupperware was very flexible and bent one way on the heat and a different way on the cold..I decided to replace the stock. This was before the “edge” stocks and I am too cheap to pay that price for a slight weight reduction I used a Winchester featherweight stock from a 3006 and had Craig Douglas a Saskatchewan gunsmith who is a perfectionist glass bed the action and open the barrel channel. It now shoots one inch 5 shot groups. The Tupperware weighs one 1 lb 15 1/2 oz. the complete rifle bare weighs 7 lbs 2 oz.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

647 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 80 invisible), 2,702 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,478
Posts18,471,694
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.