Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Dad talked about doing KP at Lackland in the AF in 1952. Seems he had to sort raw chicken pieces out of a 55 gallon drum. Some of the chicken had "turnt". Never ate chicken again and rarely turkey. Wouldn't let us have chicken in deer camp - he'd buy steaks instead. Fine by me.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
When I was in the first Gulf War, all of our cooks were promoted when we returned to FT Hood. They worked 6 days a week 12 hours a day

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by skeen
An army lives on its stomach, and no army is better fed than the US Army.

True.

I've heard that German army food is the wurst.

John

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a question for those of you military folks that actually worked with the food, not just breaking eggs, doing dishes, and peeling potatoes; grade D beef was mentioned - did you ever see a “ground beef” or beef-like-mystery-meat product that came in the form of paste, layered out on a plastic sheet, and then rolled up like a jelly-roll; boxed up and received frozen, to be thawed, unrolled, and worked with from that state in any/all applications that would call for ground beef?

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by jpb
Originally Posted by skeen
An army lives on its stomach, and no army is better fed than the US Army.

True.

I've heard that German army food is the wurst.

John

Ugh...............

IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I was fed well in the army.
11 duty stations in 24 yrs.
Was fed badly at times also.
Did KP one time in OSUT.
They had big ole killer pork and beef ribs alot at harmony church at Benning
And those huge GOM shrimp.
Steaks.
Lasagna.

Some had no restrictions on what they could eat or how much.
Fatt boys ...
Nope...
I weighed 170 going into OSUT
171 16weeks later
Other gaining 25 35
Others dropping 25 35

Menu # 25 rat fugg other mre,s was edible.

Worst mre,s
The omlets.
Later on
#22 shrimp jambalaya........
Starving dogs in bombed out mig 21 bunkers wont eat it, but will eat all the other ones.

No big complaints really...
Im still using O2 and many I have known ain't...

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I am DQ from blood or Organ donation because of posssible exposure to prions from European beef in DFAC,s in Germany from 86 to 88...

Kinda sucks I could not donate at times in OIF 1 when blood was needed daily.
Enough soldiers were able to donate.
And those like me where in such small #,s anyways by that time frame
But it still sucked cause I'm one of those double platelet O+ types mighta helped some WIA out....

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Nasty chili mac twice a week. Stuffed bell peppers, unidentified baked fish and meatloaf that was half onion.
3rd ID 1/30th INF '86-'88 knew very well how to keep weight off the troops. Kill their appetites.
Bad Tolz and Bad Kissingen was not too bad. Wuerzburg HQ and hospital chow was ok.

Weekends, get off the kaserne any way you could. Fellow soldiers from Puerto Rico had wives who could cook!

Army cooks motto "Death from within!"

KP? Only once in BCT at Tank Hill, Ft Jackson.
Scrub pans and mop floors.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Don't know if the chow we ate really was good or if we were just so hungry that we thought it was good through Basic Training at Ft. Knox and Ft. Polk AIT (Tigerland) '67. Best chow hall I ever ate at was the 525th replacement company in Ft. Lewis, WA. Meal cards to the 525th were like gold. Was common for other troops not assigned there to try to buy, borrow, beg, rent a meal card to eat at the 525th chow hall. Multiple meat, vegetable, casseroles, and desert choices. Breakfast, lunch and supper always cooked just right. Mess hall Sgt. was beyond fastidious about keeping a clean mess hall and feeding troops the best food he could.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
as for low grade beef, the only time i saw that was in tech school at keesler afb in biloxi ms. those chow halls sucked out loud. i had never used ketchup or hot sauce before but got used to using it on everything, literally. they would have "steak" on the menu and it was horrible. thick gray slabs of meat with dark yellow fat and blue gristle lines throughout. you would chew and chew and chew and then spit it out. it was the worst meat i ever had. i remember eating a lot of peanut butter sandwiches too because it was unlimited bread and peanut butter. i will say though that all other duty stations i had in the AF had good chow.

My diploma is a DD214
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Looking back the best military food I ever had was at Osan AFB in Korea

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
All I remember was, unloading truck loads of “Grade D, edible” meat. I volunteered to wash dishes. LoL

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
USN here during the Nam era but ended up on land for most of my 4 years. Straight out of boot most had to do a month or two stint of KP at his first duty station. Since I had prior experience, I got butcher duty mostly consisting of taking beef/pork cuts out of the freezers, slicing bacon/chops, and catching hamburger patties as they dropped from the machine. Never saw any poor-quality meat coming in but didn't see a lot of filet mignon either. That might have gone to the officer's club. Lots of sirloins, New York cuts, and T-bones once in a while.

Subsequently as a plane captain I did a few months of carrier duty, several months in DaNang, Korea, Australia, Thailand, Guam, Japan, and the Philippines with some of that on Air Force bases as well. Never had any complaints with the grub. On carriers, one could eat whenever the mood hit with a choice of a breakfast or dinner menu. On shore duty I usually tried for swing shifts where we had dinner before heading to work, choices of dinner or breakfast makings around midnight, and the regular lunch doings if one slept late in the mornings.

No sub duty, but rumor had it the sub guys ate pretty well in an attempt to keep moral up. If there are some sub guys around, please chime in.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/20/22.

1Minute
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Jericho
Looking back the best military food I ever had was at Osan AFB in Korea

ya it was. spent a year there.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Only time I did KP was in early 70's. However did not feel too bad. I was in SF company at the time as a Sgt. I was inbetween the Company SGM and the Company CDR Major, all three of us doing pots and pans. I said, no problem if they can do it so can I.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I spent my two years active duty as an Army officer. Spent a lot of time at Fort Benning, where the chow was pretty good. Was TDY at Fort Meade, MD and the food was the best of any Army base I served at. I asked my C.O. why the food was so good and he told me that because NSA was located there with lots of O-6’s and BG’s, they got the best cuts of meat and the best Mess SGT’s. The absolute best military food I ever ate was at Trippler Army Hospital in Hawaii in 1970. On Friday nights, they had an all you can eat Filet Mignon and jumbo shrimp BBQ for $6.00. They also had quadruple shots of rum Mai Tai’s for $.75. Two of those and I was wasted. I would skip both breakfast and lunch on Fridays if I knew I was having dinner at Trippler.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by USMC2602
Love to hear these stories. Never had KP, and was always amazed how much I enjoyed the occasional field mess hall food when we were deployed. Hell of a nice break from the CRats and then MRE’s.

And like OGB said, the mess hall breakfasts never left you hungry. You might schitt like a crippled coon later, but you weren’t hungry!

laugh laugh laugh

Too true.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'm amazed how little KP you folks pulled?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'm amazed how little KP you folks pulled?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
21 years in the Corps and somehow I "missed" out on Mess Duty.

I've eaten at mess halls that won the W.P.T. Hill award, good chow and plenty of it.

Then there was the chow how at Horno.

Be there, in line at 1630, or you were going hungry.

Oh, am I supposed to have some pithy saying here? Sorry, not today.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (16gage, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 48 invisible), 2,265 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,058
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.