Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Flying Squirrel. Get him out now he can create a mess. He will go in one area and do his business and not change. They can squeeze thru the smallest cracks.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Get a bar of rat poison, nail it to a piece of 2×4 and set it up there.

Romans 5:1
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by saddlering
Flying squirrel!

This!

Flying squirrels are very common but they are very nocturnal so people rarely see them. They are not very active in the cold (under 20 degrees) but they do move around some. I have a tray feeder attached to a tree that I toss some bird seed in at dark. The squirrels have the routine down and one can hear them sail in before I get 30' away. When full dark I flip on a flood light and watch them chase each other around and catch glimpses as the squirrels glide to and from the feeder.

Flying squirrels do not need much of a hole as they aren't much bigger than a chipmunk. I use bluebird houses as nest boxes for flying squirrels. They work well but one has to be diligent kicking out birds, red squirrels, and the occasional chipmunk.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wife's grandma haf a chipmunk getting in the basement, acorns everywhere but they kept telling me wind was blowing em in.

Not sure where the fugging wind was blowing in from but I finally spied that little bastard when we were cleaning the house out getting ready to sell.

New owners have a pet chipmunk!🤣🤣

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Wife's grandma haf a chipmunk getting in the basement, acorns everywhere but they kept telling me wind was blowing em in.

Not sure where the fugging wind was blowing in from but I finally spied that little bastard when we were cleaning the house out getting ready to sell.

New owners have a pet chipmunk!🤣🤣

LOL….hopefully you left his stash alone.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just went through the same thing. I don't know what I had up there but I did some internet searching and figured it might be roof rats.

Apparently there is a breed of rat that has been pushing its territory north and they exclusively like to crawl up to the inside of your attic and make a nest. They get behind your siding or go up drains and get in vents, they are even known to drop down out of trees on your roof. I read that they can squeeze through a nickel size opening. They do not like basements or any kind of moisture or dirt. They exclusively go for high dry places. Fuggers make a lot of noise too, just like rem141r said.

We'd been hearing the noises so I was online and I made the mistake of telling my wife that there was something called roof rats and at the first mention of the word rat she wanted to call every exterminator in the county. Anyways, a little searching and I found a product at the local hardware store. I bought the biggest tub they had for about $23.00 which was probably 4X's as much as I needed LOL.

If you look close you can see the words "roof rats" right under the word "Kills" and to the left of the number 64 on the tub it came in. I went up in the attic and threw out a half a bucket of this stuff all around the edges in the insulation. That night we heard about 10% of what we had been hearing, the next night and for the last three weeks we have not heard a peep.

I just have my fingers crossed that we don't get a stinky odor when the weather warms up.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
friggen roof rats? wtf. guess i'll head to tractor supply tomorrow and see what they have. i am not telling my wife we have rats. we had rats about 20 years ago outside but i nuked them fuggers and haven't seen any sign since. and i live in semi-country, not what you would call rat country. no garbage left around, etc. i run a pretty clean ship.

My diploma is a DD214
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Angveirt Mice Repellent Battery Operated Ultrasonic Mouse Repellent RV Rodent Repellent for Car Engines Rat Deterrent Squirrel Repeller for House Indoor Home Defense Pest Control, 2 Pack

Amazon. Two for $55. They work.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As soon as I ran out of Decon, I remembered Warfarin was available for such an occasion. Instead, I decided to find rat traps. Medical advances are amazing. They found another use for Warfarin after all of these years of cows bleeding to death and rat poison....heart medication.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 01/20/22.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
one of my Grandmas friends had a raccoon get inside of her attic several years ago, what a horrible mess it made before they got rid of it

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
These aren't the bigger Norway rats you think of in like New York City sewers, they are bigger than mice but not huge. I'm an effing expert now.

I had tried traps, could not catch a thing with peanut butter.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ROMAC
I just went through the same thing. I don't know what I had up there but I did some internet searching and figured it might be roof rats.

Apparently there is a breed of rat that has been pushing its territory north and they exclusively like to crawl up to the inside of your attic and make a nest. They get behind your siding or go up drains and get in vents, they are even known to drop down out of trees on your roof. I read that they can squeeze through a nickel size opening. They do not like basements or any kind of moisture or dirt. They exclusively go for high dry places. Fuggers make a lot of noise too, just like rem141r said.

We'd been hearing the noises so I was online and I made the mistake of telling my wife that there was something called roof rats and at the first mention of the word rat she wanted to call every exterminator in the county. Anyways, a little searching and I found a product at the local hardware store. I bought the biggest tub they had for about $23.00 which was probably 4X's as much as I needed LOL.

If you look close you can see the words "roof rats" right under the word "Kills" and to the left of the number 64 on the tub it came in. I went up in the attic and threw out a half a bucket of this stuff all around the edges in the insulation. That night we heard about 10% of what we had been hearing, the next night and for the last three weeks we have not heard a peep.

I just have my fingers crossed that we don't get a stinky odor when the weather warms up.

Those are what I had. If you can't find them when they die house will stink for a couple of weeks, caught a few in traps.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It’s bats.

Fear the crabcat.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Wind
It’s bats.

I think that they are hunkered down for the winter. They won't want to get out of bed/ caves until spring. Good guess though.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Roof rats are a grey subspecies of the black rat, about half the size of a brown rat. They call them roof rats because they climb, these are far and away the commonest rat in South Texas.

I wouldn’t use bait, too much chance of the dead ones stinking up the house. Since I have small dogs I hesitate to use a sprung trap, glue traps work well, but what ever trap you use tie it off with a string to something to prevent the rat from dragging it off.

Never had any luck with peanut butter, greasy meat baits like bacon or sausage work well.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 66 invisible), 2,632 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,754
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.