Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I could be wrong but I think the shell companies figured it out. In the past, shotgun shells were always on the shelf in times of shortages. I think they are keeping the prices high by not producing products like they did in the past. I will bet if you look, the ammo companies are recording record high profits.
Just my opinion.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've been buying ammo for my 12s and 20s, that I use for skeet and trap, and so far have been lucky to find what I need. I recently purchased a Browning 725 in .410 and for that I'll have to get into reloading again. I've purchased wads ($26 for 1000 delivered), powder (3 lbs Alliant 410 - $31 a lb) & #9 shot ($50 a bag). I have a 600 Jr 410 reloader ordered from Brownells. The hard part has been finding primers and hulls. So yes, I have been buying components in hope that I will eventually find primers and hulls. I may be getting some primers. I have an old MEC 600 Jr 28 ga loader that was my Dad's and a friend who has been looking for one. (I don't have a 28 ga). He has plenty of primers. So, a deal may be worked out. I have only 50 AA HS hulls, but obviously need more. I have a few feelers out.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I think BPI has Chedite primers off and on for about $37 (give or take) per 1000.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks, that's one of the sites that I am regularly checking. I'm not big fan of Cheddite primers as I shoot Brownings/Mirokus and they tend to pierce those primers. The hot gasses erodes the tip of the firing pins, eventually resulting in unreliable ignition, requiring replacement of the firing pins. I much prefer US made primers (Win, CCI, Federal) as they use a softer and more malleable metal (copper) for the primer cover then Cheddite's steel, which is harder and more brittle. I think the primers that my friend has, and is willing to trade for my 28 ga reloader, are CCI. I also have a few Win primers. I also know that these days you're more likely to find a virginal stripper than US made primers for sale.

BTW, has anyone noticed the prices on-line for .410 target ammo? I've been routinely seeing those that have it want $25 to $60 per box of 25 and people are paying it. Crazy times indeed.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yes 410's are crazy high right now. Buddy just got a tube set for his Beretta and was buying Monarch 410's (when he could find them) at Academy Sports. They were around $10-12 per box.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I empathize with your pain regarding 28 ga hulls. Winchester AA hulls have been very few and far between but those I have seen on shelves were a little cheaper than you've seen. The last were in the $17.99 range which still seems expensive.

I have regularly seen Federal loads in the $15-$17 range in many stores and that is what I would buy in current times. I use different hulls to differentiate between shot sizes and I load them with 7 1/2 shot. I typically get several reloads out of them before the crimp gets too brittle and begins to break or split. Some don't care for the Reifenhauser style hulls but in times of scarcity one makes do with what they can get.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Sorry, had a brain fart and thought we were talking 28 ga rather than 410! I'm definitely getting old!

Much the same can be said for the 410 except they are even less common than 28 ga. What little I have seen was Fiocchi and it's been awhile. I think Scheels a month ago was the last place I've seen them.

With regards to Cheddite primers and Browning firing pins, my experience is the bottom barrels have much greater piercing issues than the upper. I've taken to using Cheddites in the upper barrel for single shots like trap or skeet and load the bottom barrel with a different brand primer when I may need to shoot twice. It is a little hassle but I've been able to get at least 3-4 years out of my firing pins rather than yearly (or more) replacement shooting Cheddites in the lower barrel.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by cooper57m
Thanks, that's one of the sites that I am regularly checking. I'm not big fan of Cheddite primers as I shoot Brownings/Mirokus and they tend to pierce those primers. The hot gasses erodes the tip of the firing pins, eventually resulting in unreliable ignition, requiring replacement of the firing pins. I much prefer US made primers (Win, CCI, Federal) as they use a softer and more malleable metal (copper) for the primer cover then Cheddite's steel, which is harder and more brittle. I think the primers that my friend has, and is willing to trade for my 28 ga reloader, are CCI. I also have a few Win primers. I also know that these days you're more likely to find a virginal stripper than US made primers for sale.

BTW, has anyone noticed the prices on-line for .410 target ammo? I've been routinely seeing those that have it want $25 to $60 per box of 25 and people are paying it. Crazy times indeed.

I just texted a shooting buddy for "Ya" if he has any W-W .410 hulls. He doesn't shoot .410 but he is a pack rat on shotgun hulls. STAY TUNED. I do have a box Winchester .410 skeet you can have for the cost of shipping a USPS small rate box.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Awful nice of you doctor Encore

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks Dr. Encore. Every little bit helps. I'll take you up on that and pay for the shipping. Send me a PM with the shipping cost and your address etc and I'll get you what you want/need. If you would like to get paid a little somethin for them that would be good with me too. Same goes for your buddy.

ps PM sent.

Last edited by cooper57m; 01/17/22. Reason: ps
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Cooper57,

I getting some .410 hulls for ya so one I have the hulls I'll put the whole package together.

Greg

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Collecting 8.5 shot because that's not the normal around here. About a new Mac 9000 have a gun show a while back because it was worth the price. Primers seem to be the biggest hold up. But I'm in no hurry to get started back loading shock shells haven't done it for 30 years but it's things that work out it's worth doing again.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Fellow shooters, I just want you all to know what a great guy is Doctor Encore (Greg). He doesn't know me from Adam, but he stepped up to help me out by contacting his buddy and getting me some hard to find .410 hulls for me to reload. All he wanted was reimbursement for shipping cost. I'm touched and it's now my turn to pay it forward. Thanks Greg and thanks to your buddy, tell him how much I appreciate his contribution.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Very much a class act, way to go Dr Encore

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Picked up the last bag of 7.5 and a bag of 8.5 from a local farm store. I was hoping for another bag of 7.5 or even 8 but no luck. The 8.5 will work well enough in the 410 for skeet and sporting clays. I had some rewards coupons which lowered the $43/bag price to something not as painful. The last time I paid full price for shot out of my pocket shot was a little over $1/pound. Today's price was in that ballpark.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You did well. I paid $50 a bag last week for #9s and heard that it went up again by a couple bucks. Wondering how high it can go before we all re-evaluate our choices. I'd already cut back from 9 rounds/ week to 6. Then when my trap club shut down for the winter, due to a mask mandate, my initial thought was "at least I'll be saving some ammo." So now, I'm down to 4 rounds/wk, shooting two days a week instead of 3. Many shooters have just stopped or have also cut way back. Club revenues are way down from 2 years ago. The only talk one hears now at my club is where to get primers or ammo and how much they cost. It's become almost a part-time job. Small businesses that used to supply components have gone out of business. In 50 years of shooting, I've not seen it this bad.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Fellow shooters, I just want you all to know what a great guy is Doctor Encore (Greg). He doesn't know me from Adam, but he stepped up to help me out by contacting his buddy and getting me some hard to find .410 hulls for me to reload. All he wanted was reimbursement for shipping cost. I'm touched and it's now my turn to pay it forward. Thanks Greg and thanks to your buddy, tell him how much I appreciate his contribution.

Cooper57,

Very much appreciate the kind words. In our present climate of severe shell and component shortages we have to help each other out.

Greg

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Greg, the thing is we don't HAVE to help each other out. Too many would have (and have been) taken the opportunity to make a killing in such a situation/position. Instead, you and your buddy chose to be kind and helpful, not exploitative. That is character! - Bill

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
The local Scheels has had shot all fall and winter west coast magnum 4,5, & 6. $50/25lb. I note today they now also have Lawrence Magnum shot at only $65/bag...mb

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 01/23/22.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Greg, the thing is we don't HAVE to help each other out. Too many would have (and have been) taken the opportunity to make a killing in such a situation/position. Instead, you and your buddy chose to be kind and helpful, not exploitative. That is character! - Bill

Cooper57,

My gun club sponsors a boy scout troop of which I am the shooting merit badge counselor. I also have a 5 man squad of scouts of clay shooters I'm teaching to shoot skeet and trap, ages range from 11 to 15.

The 15 year old "Just loves" everything shooting and hunting. My gun club held a dinner and auction this past
Saturday where members donate unused shooting stuff to be auctioned off to benefit the clubs youth shooting programs.

The dad of the 15 year old asked to review the auction items for anything his son could use. I found 3 items for the dad/son to bid on and a TC .50 for the dad to buy for himself.

Trying to keep a long story short the 15 year old son "won" a almost new 12 gauge MEC 9000.....FOR.. $30.00.

CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT??? Now I have to tech the young lad how to use it.....after finding powder and primers.....UGG!!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1badf350, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,558 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,469
Posts18,471,408
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.