Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I just bought a Yamaha sd303. I like it.

Give me land, lots of land, under starry skies above. Don't fence me in.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In all seriousness, I've recorded all my CD's to digital (Apple Lossless format), and just bluetooth it to whatever I'm using to listen. The DAC makes the biggest difference to my ears. And I'll admit, I can't hear the nuances like I could 30 years ago, which sucks....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Higginez
Does anybody make a combo CD/fax machine? That’s what I’d get.

LOL

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Pawn shops have CD decks. Cheap. I still have close to 1000 CDs. My favorite music source.

That is a good idea. From what I have learned on this thread, a pawn shop probably would give you a real good deal on a CD deck.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by Swifty52
I got rid of cd decks a long time ago. iPods or MP3 players work much better.

Convenient, but with a loss of fidelity, if that matters anymore to anyone.

OP, look at Pioneer or Denon decks, even Sony. Also, Marantz, Cambridge & Technics are solid as well. Just depends on how much you want to pay................all the above are better than good, depending on the model that might suit you. $500-600 will get you a quality unit, but many good ones for both less or more.

Not much sense in getting one that is beyond the capability of your amp or speakers though.

Odd that the OP's Bose didn't last, twice...................I have a 20+ year old Nakamichi that works today like the day that I bought it.

MM

I had two Boses that died after 2-3 years.

Retired cat herder.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Pawn shops have CD decks. Cheap. I still have close to 1000 CDs. My favorite music source.

That is a good idea. From what I have learned on this thread, a pawn shop probably would give you a real good deal on a CD deck.

Lol pawn shops never have deals, most of it is sh*t. I’ve got close to 800 CD’s copied. to a 1T drive through iTunes, and another 3000 songs recorded through Audacity from streaming. Plug in iPod load albums or up to 30,000 songs. Get tired of what’s on there just plug into puter reload. Haven’t used a CD player in years, if I do buy one it gets recorded then put in the box with the rest.

Swifty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hillestadj
Fidelity nerds 50 and up - your ass can't hear the difference you deaf bastards. Stream it and get a speaker 2 levels above 'crackle-y'.

Bullshit.

Some nuances may be lost as we get older, sure. But sheer power, width and depth of soundstage, separation of instruments, flat frequency response, the ability to play at concert levels without distortion, the ability to reach dynamic peaks, accurate timbre, clean, tight bass and deep bass extension, all of these I can still hear and enjoy.

Doing it now in fact. Just watched The Last Waltz at 85 dB average at my listening position, with 105 - 108 dB peaks,, clean and clear, measured with an A-weighted SPL meter.

Couch and ribcage vibrating with no sonic fatigue.

There's good audio and there's mass market garbage. There's a reason rich old guys spend hundreds of $Ks on gear and listening rooms trying to recreate symphony orchestras, and streaming MP3 through 2 steps above crackly ain't it.

Google "dynamic headroom."

P.S. I just had my go-to smp serviced for the first time in over 35 years. $96. It ain't Bose.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
By the way, I don't spin discs in a player either. All my CDs are ripped to FLAC and played via JRiver on a laptop through a USB/spdif converter to a DAC to my integrated amp.

But I like having the physical media on a shelf. Hard drives fail, and so do streaming services at times.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

eBay. I've purchased lotsa components there, and only one dud out of dozen components.

But, if you're looking for Bose CD player, that probably means all-in-one player (not a component stack with separate CD players). Look on Craigslist locally for older used boomboxes. I've got five scattered between two houses/garages/shops. Not perfect to look at, but sound great. (Used to be an audiophile before NASCAR gig which cost me alotta high end hearing loss, so no more big $$$ high end schitt.)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Converted all our CD to MPG files last year. Couple of hundred. Much more convenient. Just put what you want on a thumb drive and away you go..
Put a lot on the mini card for my cell phone.

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan
Fidelity nerds 50 and up - your ass can't hear the difference you deaf bastards. Stream it and get a speaker 2 levels above 'crackle-y'.

Bullshit.

Some nuances may be lost as we get older, sure. But sheer power, width and depth of soundstage, separation of instruments, flat frequency response, the ability to play at concert levels without distortion, the ability to reach dynamic peaks, accurate timbre, clean, tight bass and deep bass extension, all of these I can still hear and enjoy.

Doing it now in fact. Just watched The Last Waltz at 95 dB average at my listening position, with 105 - 108 dB peaks,, clean and clear, measured with an A-weighted SPL meter.

Couch and ribcage vibrating with no sonic fatigue.

There's good audio and there's mass market garbage. There's a reason rich old guys spend hundreds of $Ks on gear and listening rooms trying to recreate symphony orchestras, and streaming MP3 through 2 steps above crackly ain't it.

Google "dynamic headroom."

P.S. I just had my go-to smp serviced for the first time in over 35 years. $96. It ain't Bose.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

..whatever blows the wind up your skirt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

..whatever blows the wind up your skirt.

Damn right! Rifles ain't the only thing we're aloud to be loony about.

grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been using a cheap Sony DVD/CD player hooked up to my 1976-7 Marantz. I probably need to buy a real cd player some day.

That box with the Whataburger placard is my cd player.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by 1911a1; 01/24/22.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This looks like a great deal.

CD Player

Last edited by Higginez; 01/24/22.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan
By the way, I don't spin discs in a player either. All my CDs are ripped to FLAC and played via JRiver on a laptop through a USB/spdif converter to a DAC to my integrated amp.

But I like having the physical media on a shelf. Hard drives fail, and so do streaming services at times.

Damn, if I'm ever setting up a sound system, I know who to call.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by backtobethel
I just bought a Yamaha sd303. I like it.

Dual sport or street-bike?

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Testing images and wondering if I can add a CD player to this when the sound board gets rebuilt 😁[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by gremcat; 01/24/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DavePrice
Had good luck with these:

Sony AM FM CD W/ Bluetooth

Have one of these sitting beside me and playing as I read this. Listening to Nana, pure bliss!

Jim

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole

Damn, if I'm ever setting up a sound system, I know who to call.

Any time. You don't have to break the bank to get good sound. But there's a basic threshold for sure.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I’d not thought about converting CDs honestly. Pretty sure the last move we scrapped a hundred or so. Mostly stream pandora but lots of local bands and what not I can’t replace now.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

225 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 280ACKIMP, 1lessdog, 160user, 264mag, 28 invisible), 1,671 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,972
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.