Crawfish is correct.

GB1

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Craigster
Originally Posted by iskra
Well, I'm more than a bit shocked! Primarily in context of members here willing to venture opinions with so little info afforded. My MO of decades as buyer, is the assumption that sellers with rifle in hand, time and opportunity to investigate it. Empowered capability to do a self-interest 'credible' job of describing it for sale. Where no pix and substantial information voids as per the O/Ps description related here, Red flags fluttering 2iw3wand move on! A huge buyer beware

Low price ONE attractive element. But here hardly an element on which to 'ping' in exclusion of all the other info voids! I'd tend to fill in obvious relevant blanks with least attractive contingencies conjurable!
For instance some of the Chinese Arsenal 98 actions. The single specimen I posses acquired for peanuts to harvest a decent commercial Oberndorf Mauser bolt reflecting pear shaped bolt handle. I wouldn't even want to sell this to anyone. That as viewing such a specimen, further conjuring which end of the rifle most lethal!

The fact of a Timney barrel, "brand ID recognition, only recommendation as seller flushing out balance of relevant information. (I don't even see the chambering/twist rate listed!) All sorts of "horror guns" that novices occasionally present for evaluation in Forums. As evaluating, some discomfort balancing often new owner hopeful expectations. Set against the horror stories. What to say, how frank an assessment to offer?

The instant matter, my 'eval' as hazarding lottery ticket odds against achieving best "win" scenario as avoiding any horror story scenario among prospective outcomes!

Finally... Excuse me guys, no intent to demean, but the generic term "mauser" and some components to be perhaps recommended by brand, here yet 'hovering' perspective of Franken-gun potential. Hardly to recommend mediocre win against great odds! against substantial odds!

I remain completely skeptical concerning many of the responses.
Just my necessarily frank "take"!
Best!
John

My frank "take" ? I think you like to hear yourself talk. Do you know more about the rifle than the buyer does ?

https://www.thoughtco.com/what-is-bloviation-1689029

And my response Craigster... That your above words are totally irrelevant in any meaningful context to my assertion. Such, to address my central contention of O/P "insufficient information" to competently address the valuation requested. Reiterating that outstanding unknowns concerning the item are about as wide as the imagination! My secondary point of wariness of a seller presumably offering such a materially altered, mix & match item with so little information, ranks the offering as subject to suspicion. Such that lack of disclosures; the 'unknowns', best as buyer-interpreted red flags!

Craigster, your words do nothing to address these issues that I raise! One matter to differ 'on points'. Quite another to "attack the messenger"! Such as pseudo-psychological profiling as diversionary in lieu of meaningful response.
Your question about buyer knowledge is similarly irrelevant. Moreover, meaningless. We are not in a position to get inside his head! My evaluation is a synthesis of the information O/P chooses to share and moreso the "inuendo" raised by important information missing!

I can appreciate and respect on-point disagreements! Not so, personal attacks only suggestive of no MATERIAL counter argument to offer.

And yes... My take! smile

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Craigster
Originally Posted by iskra
Well, I'm more than a bit shocked! Primarily in context of members here willing to venture opinions with so little info afforded. My MO of decades as buyer, is the assumption that sellers with rifle in hand, time and opportunity to investigate it. Empowered capability to do a self-interest 'credible' job of describing it for sale. Where no pix and substantial information voids as per the O/Ps description related here, Red flags fluttering 2iw3wand move on! A huge buyer beware

Low price ONE attractive element. But here hardly an element on which to 'ping' in exclusion of all the other info voids! I'd tend to fill in obvious relevant blanks with least attractive contingencies conjurable!
For instance some of the Chinese Arsenal 98 actions. The single specimen I posses acquired for peanuts to harvest a decent commercial Oberndorf Mauser bolt reflecting pear shaped bolt handle. I wouldn't even want to sell this to anyone. That as viewing such a specimen, further conjuring which end of the rifle most lethal!

The fact of a Timney barrel, "brand ID recognition, only recommendation as seller flushing out balance of relevant information. (I don't even see the chambering/twist rate listed!) All sorts of "horror guns" that novices occasionally present for evaluation in Forums. As evaluating, some discomfort balancing often new owner hopeful expectations. Set against the horror stories. What to say, how frank an assessment to offer?

The instant matter, my 'eval' as hazarding lottery ticket odds against achieving best "win" scenario as avoiding any horror story scenario among prospective outcomes!

Finally... Excuse me guys, no intent to demean, but the generic term "mauser" and some components to be perhaps recommended by brand, here yet 'hovering' perspective of Franken-gun potential. Hardly to recommend mediocre win against great odds! against substantial odds!

I remain completely skeptical concerning many of the responses.
Just my necessarily frank "take"!
Best!
John

My frank "take" ? I think you like to hear yourself talk. Do you know more about the rifle than the buyer does ?

https://www.thoughtco.com/what-is-bloviation-1689029

And my response Craigster... That your above words are totally irrelevant in any meaningful context to my assertion. Such, to address my central contention of O/P "insufficient information" to competently address the valuation requested. Reiterating that outstanding unknowns concerning the item are about as wide as the imagination! My secondary point of wariness of a seller presumably offering such a materially altered, mix & match item with so little information, ranks the offering as subject to suspicion. Such that lack of disclosures; the 'unknowns', best as buyer-interpreted red flags!

Craigster, your words do nothing to address these issues that I raise! One matter to differ 'on points'. Quite another to "attack the messenger"! Such as pseudo-psychological profiling as diversionary in lieu of meaningful response.
Your question about buyer knowledge is similarly irrelevant. Moreover, meaningless. We are not in a position to get inside his head! My evaluation is a synthesis of the information O/P chooses to share and moreso the "inuendo" raised by important information missing!

I can appreciate and respect on-point disagreements! Not so, personal attacks only suggestive of no MATERIAL counter argument to offer.
Concerning the "8mm Chambering". Again, iterating the passage of years and of the many alterations to this rifle! For instance 8mm '06 or even more European-exotic chambering such as 8x60! All within the spectrum of information many buyers would wish to know!

And yes... My take! smile

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
John, you have proved my point quite well. And, there were no "attacks on the messenger" .

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Hi Mr. Z! To reiterate that I do bow to your gunsmithing expertise. But here's my eval. The O/P comes to this Forum, seeking item "valuation. He describes and moreover purports certain alterations done to his satisfaction. Presumably his inferences: 1. that in his judgment they're properly accomplished. 2. that he is satisfied with the situation such features reflect and 3. that they ostensibly add value. Fine! To accept all these statements as absolutely true. But the "valuation" he seeks is to the gun buying public. The fact of what he subjectively considers adequate and 'value added' is irrelevant. For public-objective valuation, necessary to view and assess such employing objective expertise. I've seen some abominations which were proudly displayed by owners! The other element as my harping, in this Thread. The multi-unknowns concerning this gun! This is NOT a question arising of battling expert evaluations! My core argument, there is simply too little objective information offered by the O/P to make any kind of reasonable valuation assessment.

I do agree that sometimes there is a 'floor' value possible, predicated upon such as components and accessories which themselves suggest value. No argument there. Yet question of their proper fitment & condition? A seller can be and should be expected to provide some minimal amount of objective information! Where such is lacking, the red flag syndrome!

Well over a half century of gun collecting, I've viewed, discussed, researched, examined and owned a substantial variety of mausers military and commercial. The proliferation of models, the variables of condition, the pushing full century some in existence; all create the potential and lean toward natural deterioration and hand of Bubba!

The bottom line not a question of battling expertise but of sufficient 'objective information' for experts to employ their skills. The person seeking valuation(s) cannot foreclose areas of inspection by dismissing in context of "satisfies me"!

Another 'my take' if admittedly 'wordy'! smile
Best!
John

IC B2

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Again, any non-jacked up 98 action is worth that these days. No amount of description on the OP's part would allow you to pass judgement on that action. Can you honestly tell if the D&T was done properly by whatever "objective information" the OP profers up?

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
+1

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1936M71, 1lessdog, 160user, 222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 56 invisible), 2,514 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,331
Posts18,487,575
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.