Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
@Mule Deer
"I expressed doubt"...Spoken like a true wordsmith! :-)

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by elephantrider
Originally Posted by beretzs
Anybody ever seen how the data is so close along with speeds for the two to of them are? I have been loading a bunch of 223, 6 ARC and similar and the data looks so close I can't really see much difference. Charges always seem to be quite close together along with listed speeds, especially taking into account differing lots of the powders.

I have never heard anyone admit they were the same before. Why would Hodgdon have two powders in their line with two different names but the same powders? There is no reason to do that. Usually when powders are the same with different names they are under different company labels.

As for the powders being close in the burn rate charts, the charts will tell you which is relatively faster or slower but not how much faster or slower.

Actually they can and do admit it..........
Hodgdon announced the dropping of H 414 as they also distributed Win 760, being the same powder, so duplication via labeling wasn't achieving anything.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
B
beretzs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
[quote=elephantrider][quote=beretzs]Anybody ever seen how the data is so close along with speeds for the two to of them are? I have been loading a bunch of 223, 6 ARC and similar and the data looks so close I can't really see much difference. Charges always seem to be quite close together along with listed speeds, especially taking into account differing lots of the powders.

I was wondering the same thing AGW. I was thinking that LVR was the new and up and coming thing for lever guns a few years ago and then Hodgdon released CFE223 to work well in 223 and 308 with the virtue of copper reduction which I don't know if LVR has. Maybe that is the difference?

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I read this review of LeverEvolution on the Midway website.

"This powder is the same as CFE223, without the additive to combat copper fouling. I have done extensive testing and found I get the same velocities and pressures with equal charges of CFE223 and Lever. Burn rates are virtually identical. So if you use CFE223 you can substitute Lever. Obviously, you need to test it on your own to be safe.......but now you know."

I know that doesn't make it true but you're not the first one to notice the similarities.

I was also able to score a couple pounds on Powder Valley last night.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
B
beretzs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
I read this review of LeverEvolution on the Midway website.

"This powder is the same as CFE223, without the additive to combat copper fouling. I have done extensive testing and found I get the same velocities and pressures with equal charges of CFE223 and Lever. Burn rates are virtually identical. So if you use CFE223 you can substitute Lever. Obviously, you need to test it on your own to be safe.......but now you know."

I know that doesn't make it true but you're not the first one to notice the similarities.

I was also able to score a couple pounds on Powder Valley last night.

That's pretty cool. I have poured through the Hodgdon 2021 magazine and for about every load where they show both powders they seem about identical. I am sure it is nothing new, but it is good to know. I know alot of folks have had good results from CFE223 in the Whelen and I think I might give it a try with LVR, just in the interest of science whistle

Semper Fi
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I tried Lever in a 30-30 contender barrel. Accuracy was only decent at slightly above the starting load. Wasn't good anywhere enough to stop searching.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 62 invisible), 2,541 guests, and 1,460 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,191
Posts18,484,973
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.