Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You won't get me shooting the dust....I like to eat my turkeys without fear of breaking a tooth.

GB1

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
An established turkey hunter once told me, "you'll break that baby sight off!", or something to that effect... lol! Looking good LFC, we'll have you shooting fairy dust in no time! Hahahaha!

Let the establishment watch this video....

https://youtu.be/-YEgkrBq0Sc

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What do you think of the Scalarworks mount? I think its one of the better products I've seen in awhile. I have that same setup on my Franchi 20ga. I just put a Scalarworks and Aimpoint H2 on my SBE3.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by LFC
You won't get me shooting the dust....I like to eat my turkeys without fear of breaking a tooth.

Yep, a buddy of mine did just that last year...no dust for me either....Hb

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Like there's never been dental work because of lead shot! Friend of mine was in a car accident, so I'm never going to drive again...

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
IC B2

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
What if you was to swaller one if them little pellets not knowing it....might pOke its way though your stomach lining and end up in your big toe.

Point is Dean TSS is not required to kill a turkey....better get started it's going to take a while to get to Wisconsin by wagon train.

Did you watch the video long enough to see the destruction test with the guy banging the sight on the top edge of a metal drum.....ps Don't try this with a Bushnell.

https://youtu.be/-YEgkrBq0Sc

I'm still wondering why I need waterproofing to 65 feet deep.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by GuideGun
What do you think of the Scalarworks mount? I think its one of the better products I've seen in awhile. I have that same setup on my Franchi 20ga. I just put a Scalarworks and Aimpoint H2 on my SBE3.

Mount is cool no doubt....

Red Dot sights are something I knew nothing about I was always leary of their reliability.

I bought the Trigicon model i bought because an active duty special opps Marine told me it was the model to buy.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I have three 24" barrels (one with beads) in case these fancy sights ever wet the bed.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I use a dual illuminated RMR with a 9 moa dot on one of my carry Glocks. I will be mountinmg another on a Glock 20 10mm I carry where there are bears (and car-breaking, poaching rednecks). I think it would be perfect on a turkey gun. I really like the dual illuminated models.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I lugged a SP10 around for a while. Nicknamed Lexington Steele…

Then I decided to lighten up. Bought a 870 compact camo 20 gauge for $335, had my gunsmith drill and tap it, put an Aimpoint 9000SC on it and a Rem turkey super full choke. Loaded with Federal HW #7’s, it is a perfect run and gun, drag anywhere, turkey getter.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
IC B3

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yeah boy! That is a nice looking rig 👍....Hb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Son’s first bird.
SBE2
Indian Creek tube
46 yards
Winchester Supreme 3” x #6

Benelli M2 - 24” barrel
Indian Creek
Turkey Thug 3” x #6
25 yards

The next morning 100 yards away.
Biggest mop I’ve ever seen on a bird…

Browning Maxxus
Factory Turkey choke
Turkey Thug 3x6
42 yards

Benelli M2 - 21” barrel
Indian Creek
3” Longbeard #6
Prob 40 yards

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I never had a dedicated turkey gun for years. For my brother and me it was always whatever was handy..... usually one of our several 16 gauge SxS's. I did kill a couple in the fall, busting flocks, with my duck gun, a 3 1/2 inch Beretta 391 Extrema. I had thought to try some 3 1/2" turkey loads I saw. I shot one at what I thought was a pretty sketchy distance for a shotgun, but the bird went down like he'd been struck by lightning. Just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, I shot the next one a little further, same result. That Beretta is a very soft shooting gun. Now, however, I have a dedicated turkey gun, and it's not soft shooting. I bought a TC Encore with .50 cal inline ml barrel after the first time I retired because I figured I'd have time to muzzleloader hunt. While I was about it, I got a .25-06 AI barrel and, since I didn't have a "dedicated turkey gun", I got a 24", camo, fiber optic sights, extended choke tube, turkey barrel. (All in all, that "muzzle loader" cost me around $2200 with the Leupold scopes for the ML and rifle barrels.) It's worked pretty well for me. It's pretty light and handy, but man, when you touch off one of those 2 ounce turkey loads you want to be hanging on to it. The pattern hit's a bit high with the rear sight all the way down. I think the same thing's going on there that you have with large caliber revolvers: ratio of light gun to heavy load (with a lot of barrel time) and the muzzle has risen somewhat before the shot leaves the muzzle. This is more pronounced with heavier loads in this gun. I could put a red dot or scope on it, I guess, but it's not that big an issue to me. At the ranges I shoot turkeys with it I just hold on the base of the neck and down they go. I have been considering filling the plastic forend with a couple of pounds of lead, seeing what that will do. Maybe an old sock with a pound or two of shot. We'll see.

Mathew 22: 37-39

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I've never noticed the recoil when I shoot a turkey....I went to optics because my eyes aren't what they once were.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Nice turkeys....looks like you have a turkey hunter on your hands

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunnut308
Son’s first bird.
SBE2
Indian Creek tube
46 yards
Winchester Supreme 3” x #6

Benelli M2 - 24” barrel
Indian Creek
Turkey Thug 3” x #6
25 yards

The next morning 100 yards away.
Biggest mop I’ve ever seen on a bird…

Browning Maxxus
Factory Turkey choke
Turkey Thug 3x6
42 yards

Benelli M2 - 21” barrel
Indian Creek
3” Longbeard #6
Prob 40 yards

Nice pictures! And congratulations to the young turkey hunter.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Here's my four. The Winchester 1300 Turkey 12 gauge was my first real shotgun that was set up strictly for turkey hunting. It has a Hastings ported .660 choke, and a set of Tru-Glo fiber optic sights glued to the rib. It probably patterns better than anything I have, but the trigger sucks big time. The 11-87 compact 20 gauge is the one the grandkids use. It has an Indian Creek Black Diamond choke, and both me and granddaughters have taken a number of turkeys with it. The other two are new to me this year, after I sold the Benelli SBE2 and the 870 Compact 20. I had an 11-87 years ago that I sold in favor of the Benelli, so I bought another one. 21 inch barrel, Carlson Longbeard choke, and 1.5X5 Weaver shotgun scope with the Diamond reticle. The other one is a Mossberg SA-20 Turkey. I put a Carlson Longbeard choke on it too. I also put McCarbo trigger springs in the 11-87 and the Mossberg. I shot Winchester Longbeard #5's in both 12's and 20's.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Vintage guns...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Another old gun. This is a Burgess wrist slide action folding shotgun. Shot grouse with it too...

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Cool!

Molon Labe
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

672 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 10ring1, 77 invisible), 2,376 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,718
Posts18,494,638
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.