Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Dre
Yeah, I always forget about the Kimber Hunter. For me, I’d always rather use it than a Tikka, but either with a 3-9 Burris with dots would work great.

Can’t be that of a good rifle if you forget about it.
Do you own one or the other or both?

Neither… Kimber Montana’s are my favorite lightweight.

So How can you recommend one over the other if you don’t own either of them?

The Hunter is just a Montana in a cheap stock w/ detachable magazine - I've got 18 years with various Kimber MT's. The Tikka - well, they are a known performer that a lot of my friends use. I've certainly handled them, and while I don't care for them personally, they tick a lot of boxes for a guy that's not as picky about plastic as me.

You seem uptight about this...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by Dre
Yeah, I always forget about the Kimber Hunter. For me, I’d always rather use it than a Tikka, but either with a 3-9 Burris with dots would work great.

So How can you recommend one over the other if you don’t own either of them?

The Hunter is just a Montana in a cheap stock w/ detachable magazine - I've got 18 years with various Kimber MT's. The Tikka - well, they are a known performer that a lot of my friends use. I've certainly handled them, and while I don't care for them personally, they tick a lot of boxes for a guy that's not as picky about plastic as me.

You seem uptight about this...

Now that you have given a reason as to why And how you came up with your choice. I can respect it.
For a second there it Sounded like you’re were an internet expert

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Husqvarna

For the win

IMO

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I would pick the t3x in 30-06, and a trijicon 3-9 accupoint green mildot.

Friend just got that rifle, he put a FFII 3-9 ballistic plex on it, and it is very nice, but I like an illuminated reticle. The rifle shot 168 TTSX handloads very nicely.

A 168 TTSX at 2800 fps ought to put a hurt on an elk and is not too much for deer.

With the 30-06, you can always shoot even heavier if you want, up to 200 gr if you want a bigger hammer. Can't do that with a smaller cartridge.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a big fan of the Savage LWH's. they were pretty cheap, shot great and very easy to tote around.

but like most here, I carry a lot of confirmation bias. my son and I hunt with a pair of Savage LWH's in .308. I think I bought them for <$600/ea.

the Tikka Superlight is a great config (only available at Sportsmans or Cabelas).

if you are left handed, consider the Browning 81 BLR. My blr wont shoot as well as the LWH's do, but looks cooler in all the pictures. smile

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by remm120777
heading out west for a hunt next year. what the best lightweight rifle for up to $1,500? will be chasing elk and mule deer.

Why not just use the ruger 308 that your already have? Your model goes 6.5 lbs when dropped into a ruger sythetic stock, getting rid of that goofy laminate stock. Thats as light as a tikka t3x lite.

The 7oz burris scout in warne mountain tech rings goes 10 oz.

All the ruger 308s are a true short action, the tikkas are not. Also, the faster 1:10 twist on the ruger 308s, they group the longer/heavier bullets with outstanding accuracy.

Anyhow, dont overlook your feisty lil 308 carbine.......

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by plumbum

With the 30-06, you can always shoot even heavier if you want, up to 200 gr if you want a bigger hammer. Can't do that with a smaller cartridge.

I have been loading 200 grain partitions and 200 hot cors to 2550 fps for over a decade in the little 308. Many other guys have used this load as well, as its the minimum, bison legal load here in Alaska.

46-47 grains (depending on brass) of alliant mr-2000.

Are you sure that a smaller cartridge cant launch a 200 grainer?

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Another vote for the Tikka T3x Lite. I own Rem 700's, Win M 70's and a couple of customs. I picked up a Tikka T3x Lite in 270. IMO, it is the best rifle out of the box in your price range. Mine shoots cheap off the shelf factory ammo as well as my custom rifles shoot match ammo.
[Linked Image]

Attached Images
thumbnail270.jpg (35.03 KB, 727 downloads)
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Kimber Montana 7mm-08 or 308 if you can find one...My 7mm-08 weighs 5lbs 2.1 ounces
Tikka T3x lite 30-06 or 270. My 30-06 6lbs 2ounces
Browning Xbolt hells canyon 30-06 or270 under 7
Remington mountain rifle (old model) 270 or 06.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you’ve never owned/used a lightweight rifle I suggest you at least handle if not shoot one before buying. Shooting them accurately takes a little getting used to. Factor in the fact that altitude can cause heavy breathing and the ever present wind and it can make holding even a heavy rifle on target difficult. You may be better off toting old reliable if you have one in a suitable package. I’m all for new guns for any reason so just pointing out the fact that lightweights are different.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
lots of good advice already mentioned. i've never owned a true lightweight rifle until a month ago when i bought a savage lightweight hunter (308 win) off a member here. i have only shot it 6 times so far but once it warms up i'll get her ready for the upcoming season. Lord willing, i'll kill a few whitetails here on the farm, and will also kill a new mexico elk in december. i'm looking forward to carrying this lightweight rig after elk. it fits me just right and i'm sure it will get the job done. i hope you find the right rifle for you. good luck on your upcoming hunts with you new lightweight rifle.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Dre

https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/santa-came-a-little-early.310743/post-3348882

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Winchester Fwts, Remington 700 Mnt rifles, Kimber 84L, for the 300wm, I'm back tot he CA Mesa, its still lighter than Mod 700 Classic in 300WM I used for years, at least to me.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Dre

https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/santa-came-a-little-early.310743/post-3348882

Holy buckets, cool rig Kurt!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
@Brad - I love my Kimber Montanas, but if you feel like spending a little more money on a lightweight rifle, i think the Havak Element is quite an upgrade to that style of rifle.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
@Brad - I love my Kimber Montanas, but if you feel like spending a little more money on a lightweight rifle, i think the Havak Element is quite an upgrade to that style of rifle.

That will be my next rifle purchase...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
My choice would be a Winchester M 70 Featherweight .30/06. A Leupold 6x or 2-7x would be good choices for scopes.

Load it with 180 grain Nosler Partitions and go hunting.

Classy

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ll add my nod towards Tikkas as well. I bought a T3 superlite in 7 Rem Mag in 2016 and have loved hunting elk, mulies and whitetails with it since then. So much nicer to carry than the railroad ties(heavy rifles !) I used to carry in the woods. They are a bit pricey, but in my meager, humble opinion…they are worth it. Just bought another one in 6.5 PRC a few days ago.

Doc_Holidude

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I am stuck between the TIKKa T3 lite 3006 , Kimber Hunter 3006 and the Holy Grail that I really like but it's too much $$$$.The Weatherby V Hunter. The weatherby is nice but to much $. They do not make a Vanguard under 7lbs that does not cost 2k. So, Game over right there. That leaves the kimber which has 24 inch barrel that I would like to have (Balance and so more speed). The Tikka has a 22 inch tube with no 24 inch option?? Unless i go to a magnum chambering.Which i will not do. As a fact Tikka's flat out shoot well ,95% of the time. Kimbers have some known accuracy issues with some rifle and open the door for a return to factory because of that if they will not shoot. So, Tikka needs to offer a 24 inch tube or a custom shop option. Or i buy a T3lite and move on to hunting. I have to make move soon due to a upcomming cash flow issue. What to do.?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just remember lightweight rifles are not the best option to make long range shots and out west 500+yrds isa possibility
heavier guns Are a better long range option if your going to be shooting past 400 yrds

Last edited by XBOLT51; 04/30/22.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 16penny, 66 invisible), 2,455 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,440
Posts18,470,877
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.