Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
heading out west for a hunt next year. what the best lightweight rifle for up to $1,500? will be chasing elk and mule deer.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I’m partial to the Remington model seven or 700 mountain rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tikka T3x 30-06, Burris 3-9 FF II & a few bucks leftover for tags.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft

Damn hard to beat that package. Op could take his pick of good cartridges to use. I have them in 6.5cm, 7mm08, 308win. All prime candidates sure to work on elk. Great choice though.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Although all my lightweight rifles are M700’s, that combo would be a good and easy way to go.

Take the remaining money, put it in the bank to pay bills, and spend a couple extra days in the field…….

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another vote T3x. But in 270 or 06. Vx3 3.5-10 with CDs for easy dialing. Or meopta 2.5-10.
Maybe 7 rem mag if you feel you need a magnum to kill an elk.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I went from a Ruger M77 boat paddle in .338 to a Kimber Montana in 300wsm. The 338 felt like it was 10 pounds, where the kimber comes in around 6. Killed several bulls with the WSM out to 280 yds. Archery hunt now and prob never go back to a rifle.

Don't gobble at me
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A SS Tikka is around $750 here. Blue, closer to $600. I can see the advantages to SS, but it wasn't worth an extra $150 to me. I have other rifles that cost more, but I sometimes wonder why.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
My choice would be a Winchester M 70 Featherweight .30/06. A Leupold 6x or 2-7x would be good choices for scopes.

Load it with 180 grain Nosler Partitions and go hunting.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My nephew has a Kimber Hunter in 280AI, I'm seriously jealous, wish they made them in 22-250, would be a great coyote calling rifle.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Model 70 Classic Stainless synthetic in 308 that I bought in 93-94 with a VXII 3x7 weighs in at 7.8.....use to wear a 3x9 but like the 2x7 for what I hunt.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Meant to say a VXII 2x7 shooting the TTSX 130 in handloads.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Really hard to beat Tikka. Super accurate as well. Add a Swarovski 3.5-18 x 44 on it with the ballistic turret and you're good to go out to 500 yards (with proper site in). The scope weighs a mere 15.9oz. with best of the best glass. You can have a rifle, scope, sling, and loaded magazine under 8lbs.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
My choice would be a Winchester M 70 Featherweight .30/06. A Leupold 6x or 2-7x would be good choices for scopes.

Good choice, and one I had for a long time, but the OP want's a lightweight... the M70 isn't!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
lightweight rifles ? is kinda a decision each person has to decide your size and how fit you are can make a decision more than the weight of a rifle .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Totally agree... I'd go 270 Win, but the concept remains the same. Whenever I meet someone new to hunting here in Montana who is asking for rifle advice, that's the setup (in 270) I tell them to get.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pete53
lightweight rifles ? is kinda a decision each person has to decide your size and how fit you are can make a decision more than the weight of a rifle .

I agree, but by any reasonable modern definition, an all-up 8+ lb rifle is not a lightweight.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Brad

Good choice, and one I had for a long time, but the OP want's a lightweight... the M70 isn't!

I feel like one of those featherweights in a LW stock like an EDGE or Brown, is just about right. for me its like the 3 bears, Standard featherweight too heavy, 308 Montana too light for me to shoot really well in all positions, but a 22" featherweight with a 22oz stock just right.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Relating to your OP, this rifle should meet you price and weight requirements, the Tikka is also very popular. https://christensenarms.com/mesa/

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by noKnees

I feel like one of those featherweights in a LW stock like an EDGE or Brown, is just about right. for me its like the 3 bears, Standard featherweight too heavy, 308 Montana too light for me to shoot really well in all positions, but a 22" featherweight with a 22oz stock just right.

I've had something like 6 M70 Fwt's with the McMillan Hunters Edge before I quit them... man do I hate that stock! I'd go Brown or Bansner.

A LA M70 Fwt in a 24oz fiberglass stock, with all-aluminum bottom metal (or a blind magazine), X-Low Talley lightweights, a 6x36 Leupold, 5 rounds, and a Butler Creek Mountain Sling, can be brought in "all-up" right around 7lb's 8oz's. In my world that's a "midweight" but it's still a darn good place to be!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
There is a Kimber mountain accent in 280 ai with a Swaro z5 3.5-18 in DNZmounts for sale on Longrange hunting.com.
Considering the price of the scope, it looks like a pretty good deal and would fit the definition of light.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My buddy has one of those Kimbers. They are very light and handy. His shots will start to widen up substantially after four founds. Like from 1.5" to 4" groups at 100. Big game hunting shouldn't be an issue, almost all shots are cold bore.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I would advise full length bedding the Kimber.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
A barrett fieldcraft would be ideal, but they are north of $2000 lately. Forbes are a factory version of a Nula, but not quite as good quality and sadly they discontinued them, but they are light and balance well and could be found for around $1100 -$1500 depending on how hard you look for them. The 2 forbes I had both shot sub Moa with factory ammo. One was a fluted bolt 270 and the other a 30-06 with the jeweled bolt.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
My buddy has one of those Kimbers. They are very light and handy. His shots will start to widen up substantially after four founds. Like from 1.5" to 4" groups at 100. Big game hunting shouldn't be an issue, almost all shots are cold bore.

Is that with you shooting it too? If its like that with both of you shooting, the rifle has some mechanical issues if it's not the shooter. Some guys struggle with shooting an exceptionally light rifle like the Kimber. An example of how a good lightweight rifle shoots:

Had a buddy verify, even though it was not necessary.. A good rifle will keep them clustered in tight. Regardless of how many you send downrange.

This was one of the suggestions given right from the get go in this thread. Second post of the thread was a damn good answer to the question.
You want a good shooting lightweight rifle, buy a Tikka. Doesn't necessarily have to be a superlite either. It can also be a lite model. I have both and there isn't much difference in weight between the 2 models. That's also saying if I ran across a couple stainless T3 or T3X lites for $500 each, I'd jump on them and not even worry that they were not the superlite model..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really like the Kimber Hunters or the T3X....they check a lotta boxes and don't cost an arm and a leg. I too, would go .270. Less recoil and it's kills just as well as any of the others...

The lighter rifles allow you to put a little more scope on, if you choose to - and still have the advantages of the handier pkg. Both of my Hunter 84's wear SWFA 3x9's and the T3x will too, just as soon as the rings arrive.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Kimber Sub Alpine, it carries and feels like a feather. MOA out to 300 yards, Longest kill 410, one shot, 280 AI. Wouldn't have anything else.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I replied earlier about a vote for a tikka. I also keep seeing kimber Hunter posts.
I have both and both are in 6.5 CM. Tikka T3x SL for me and the kimber for my boy.
They both shoot at or under moa. But the kimber does open up after few mags. Doesn’t matter to me, because for hunting you only 1-3 shots.
The tikka I can go though a box before l need to let her cool off a bit. Plus it feeds a lot smoother.
The Hunter is lighter and better balanced than the T3x SL. A true ultra light. It Might be the longer 24” barrel on the tikka.
Also the fact I had to send kimber in before I ever shot it as it would not chamber reloads, and kimber only recommends factory premium rounds. (Insert jerk off motion here )

Last edited by Dre; 02/04/22.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Yeah Tikkas are accurate rifles, my brother has one and it shoots.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, I always forget about the Kimber Hunter. For me, I’d always rather use it than a Tikka, but either with a 3-9 Burris with dots would work great.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, I always forget about the Kimber Hunter. For me, I’d always rather use it than a Tikka, but either with a 3-9 Burris with dots would work great.

Can’t be that of a good rifle if you forget about it.
Do you own one or the other or both?

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Tikka, or Vanguard.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
i use a weatherby mk5 ultralite 300 weatherby for elk, light enough and more than enough for elk 4x16 nikon on it using a 165 barnes TSX. Should be close to your price range

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dre

Neither… Kimber Montana’s are my favorite lightweight.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by noKnees

I've had something like 6 M70 Fwt's with the McMillan Hunters Edge before I quit them... man do I hate that stock! I'd go Brown or Bansner.

A LA M70 Fwt in a 24oz fiberglass stock, with all-aluminum bottom metal (or a blind magazine), X-Low Talley lightweights, a 6x36 Leupold, 5 rounds, and a Butler Creek Mountain Sling, can be brought in "all-up" right around 7lb's 8oz's. In my world that's a "midweight" but it's still a darn good place to be!

That’s where my go to M70 comes in. About 7 1/2.

Light? Yes. But not when compared to some others.

A little 84m with tally LW’s and L6x36 is a pretty amazing little package.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was just looking at the “Guns should have bought” thread.

I should have bought a Tikka SL in 6.5x55 when they were under $500.

They were a deal then. I just can’t stand the stock. Now they are about $800 and I still hate the stock! Lol.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
thanks, i never thought of them!

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
thanks all, lots of good options to choose from!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I personally would build one. A Rem700 LA donor action, 21 or 22” #1 contour barrel in 270/280/30-06 or a SA in 260/7mm08/308. Put it in any number of lightweight stocks from McMillan or B&C. Have fun with it!

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dre

So How can you recommend one over the other if you don’t own either of them?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by Dre

The Hunter is just a Montana in a cheap stock w/ detachable magazine - I've got 18 years with various Kimber MT's. The Tikka - well, they are a known performer that a lot of my friends use. I've certainly handled them, and while I don't care for them personally, they tick a lot of boxes for a guy that's not as picky about plastic as me.

You seem uptight about this...

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by Dre

The Hunter is just a Montana in a cheap stock w/ detachable magazine - I've got 18 years with various Kimber MT's. The Tikka - well, they are a known performer that a lot of my friends use. I've certainly handled them, and while I don't care for them personally, they tick a lot of boxes for a guy that's not as picky about plastic as me.

You seem uptight about this...

Now that you have given a reason as to why And how you came up with your choice. I can respect it.
For a second there it Sounded like you’re were an internet expert

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Husqvarna

For the win

IMO

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I would pick the t3x in 30-06, and a trijicon 3-9 accupoint green mildot.

Friend just got that rifle, he put a FFII 3-9 ballistic plex on it, and it is very nice, but I like an illuminated reticle. The rifle shot 168 TTSX handloads very nicely.

A 168 TTSX at 2800 fps ought to put a hurt on an elk and is not too much for deer.

With the 30-06, you can always shoot even heavier if you want, up to 200 gr if you want a bigger hammer. Can't do that with a smaller cartridge.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a big fan of the Savage LWH's. they were pretty cheap, shot great and very easy to tote around.

but like most here, I carry a lot of confirmation bias. my son and I hunt with a pair of Savage LWH's in .308. I think I bought them for <$600/ea.

the Tikka Superlight is a great config (only available at Sportsmans or Cabelas).

if you are left handed, consider the Browning 81 BLR. My blr wont shoot as well as the LWH's do, but looks cooler in all the pictures. smile

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by remm120777
heading out west for a hunt next year. what the best lightweight rifle for up to $1,500? will be chasing elk and mule deer.

Why not just use the ruger 308 that your already have? Your model goes 6.5 lbs when dropped into a ruger sythetic stock, getting rid of that goofy laminate stock. Thats as light as a tikka t3x lite.

The 7oz burris scout in warne mountain tech rings goes 10 oz.

All the ruger 308s are a true short action, the tikkas are not. Also, the faster 1:10 twist on the ruger 308s, they group the longer/heavier bullets with outstanding accuracy.

Anyhow, dont overlook your feisty lil 308 carbine.......

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by plumbum

With the 30-06, you can always shoot even heavier if you want, up to 200 gr if you want a bigger hammer. Can't do that with a smaller cartridge.

I have been loading 200 grain partitions and 200 hot cors to 2550 fps for over a decade in the little 308. Many other guys have used this load as well, as its the minimum, bison legal load here in Alaska.

46-47 grains (depending on brass) of alliant mr-2000.

Are you sure that a smaller cartridge cant launch a 200 grainer?

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Another vote for the Tikka T3x Lite. I own Rem 700's, Win M 70's and a couple of customs. I picked up a Tikka T3x Lite in 270. IMO, it is the best rifle out of the box in your price range. Mine shoots cheap off the shelf factory ammo as well as my custom rifles shoot match ammo.
[Linked Image]

Attached Images
thumbnail270.jpg (35.03 KB, 727 downloads)
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Kimber Montana 7mm-08 or 308 if you can find one...My 7mm-08 weighs 5lbs 2.1 ounces
Tikka T3x lite 30-06 or 270. My 30-06 6lbs 2ounces
Browning Xbolt hells canyon 30-06 or270 under 7
Remington mountain rifle (old model) 270 or 06.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you’ve never owned/used a lightweight rifle I suggest you at least handle if not shoot one before buying. Shooting them accurately takes a little getting used to. Factor in the fact that altitude can cause heavy breathing and the ever present wind and it can make holding even a heavy rifle on target difficult. You may be better off toting old reliable if you have one in a suitable package. I’m all for new guns for any reason so just pointing out the fact that lightweights are different.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
lots of good advice already mentioned. i've never owned a true lightweight rifle until a month ago when i bought a savage lightweight hunter (308 win) off a member here. i have only shot it 6 times so far but once it warms up i'll get her ready for the upcoming season. Lord willing, i'll kill a few whitetails here on the farm, and will also kill a new mexico elk in december. i'm looking forward to carrying this lightweight rig after elk. it fits me just right and i'm sure it will get the job done. i hope you find the right rifle for you. good luck on your upcoming hunts with you new lightweight rifle.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Dre

https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/santa-came-a-little-early.310743/post-3348882

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Winchester Fwts, Remington 700 Mnt rifles, Kimber 84L, for the 300wm, I'm back tot he CA Mesa, its still lighter than Mod 700 Classic in 300WM I used for years, at least to me.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Dre

https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/santa-came-a-little-early.310743/post-3348882

Holy buckets, cool rig Kurt!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
@Brad - I love my Kimber Montanas, but if you feel like spending a little more money on a lightweight rifle, i think the Havak Element is quite an upgrade to that style of rifle.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
@Brad - I love my Kimber Montanas, but if you feel like spending a little more money on a lightweight rifle, i think the Havak Element is quite an upgrade to that style of rifle.

That will be my next rifle purchase...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Classy

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ll add my nod towards Tikkas as well. I bought a T3 superlite in 7 Rem Mag in 2016 and have loved hunting elk, mulies and whitetails with it since then. So much nicer to carry than the railroad ties(heavy rifles !) I used to carry in the woods. They are a bit pricey, but in my meager, humble opinion…they are worth it. Just bought another one in 6.5 PRC a few days ago.

Doc_Holidude

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I am stuck between the TIKKa T3 lite 3006 , Kimber Hunter 3006 and the Holy Grail that I really like but it's too much $$$$.The Weatherby V Hunter. The weatherby is nice but to much $. They do not make a Vanguard under 7lbs that does not cost 2k. So, Game over right there. That leaves the kimber which has 24 inch barrel that I would like to have (Balance and so more speed). The Tikka has a 22 inch tube with no 24 inch option?? Unless i go to a magnum chambering.Which i will not do. As a fact Tikka's flat out shoot well ,95% of the time. Kimbers have some known accuracy issues with some rifle and open the door for a return to factory because of that if they will not shoot. So, Tikka needs to offer a 24 inch tube or a custom shop option. Or i buy a T3lite and move on to hunting. I have to make move soon due to a upcomming cash flow issue. What to do.?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just remember lightweight rifles are not the best option to make long range shots and out west 500+yrds isa possibility
heavier guns Are a better long range option if your going to be shooting past 400 yrds

Last edited by XBOLT51; 04/30/22.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just saw your post 30/06 you won't be shooting much past 350-400 yrds so weight won't really matter

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Check out the new savage 110 ultra lites in 30-06. They weigh in at 5.8lbs and come with a proof research CF barrel that is threaded.

"When guns are outlawed,only the outlaws will have guns".
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I don’t know what the current prices of kimbers are but I’ve got a 84m 308 that is a breeze to carry. A synthetic stocked stainless would be tough to beat in my opinion. It shoots about anything I’ve tried in it under an inch.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak

Why not just use the ruger 308 that your already have? Your model goes 6.5 lbs when dropped into a ruger sythetic stock, getting rid of that goofy laminate stock. Thats as light as a tikka t3x lite.

The 7oz burris scout in warne mountain tech rings goes 10 oz.

All the ruger 308s are a true short action, the tikkas are not. Also, the faster 1:10 twist on the ruger 308s, they group the longer/heavier bullets with outstanding accuracy.

Anyhow, dont overlook your feisty lil 308 carbine.......

+1

However if you must have a new light weight try the new Howa Super Lite in 308 WCF at 4.7lbs. Howa accuracy, especially in 308 WCF, will rival rifles costing thousands of dollars more.

Howa Super Lite

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am a little late to this party, but for the lightweight part... a Kimber Montana is my choice, Tikka's are good, owned a couple, but the Montana's fit me better.

I am a big Model 70 fan, and have a Classic FWT in a McMillan Edge FWT stock.
I also have a Kimber Montana in 338Federal.

Both with Talley lwt rings and Leupy 2.5-8's.
Model 70 is 7# 2oz
Kimber 5# 13oz

I plan on doing some backpack deer hunting this fall. I will be carrying the Kimber in 338 Federal loaded with 180gr bullets.

Find a Kimber Montana in the cartridge of your choice and have at it.

Arcus Venator
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I just picked up a Weatherby Backcountry Ti. Won't find much lighter in a production rifle.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Depends on what the OP considers lightweight. My SS classic FWT .30-06 is 7lbs 2oz scoped with VXIII 2.5-8X36, just a touch over 7.5 with mountain sling and 5 rounds. I did drop the barreled action in a used McMillan Edge with a blind mag.

Doubt he could do that in his budget these days, but I was well under that when I did it. Honestly, I solo hunted with a 10lb suppressed .308 this last elk season and coverd a lot of terrain with it. It wasnt as nice to carry, but I managed and was still successful.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Cost is the main issue. Otherwise, I would buy the weatherby hunter in 3006. Under 7lbs in unscoped and 24 inch tube. But $1500 bucks. I just want a sub 7lb rifle in 3006 with a 24 inch tube. Not an easy thing to find. Weatherby discontinued the Vanguard backcountry that would have fit the bill but they are no longer made.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by cs2blue
Cost is the main issue. Otherwise, I would buy the weatherby hunter in 3006. Under 7lbs in unscoped and 24 inch tube. But $1500 bucks. I just want a sub 7lb rifle in 3006 with a 24 inch tube. Not an easy thing to find. Weatherby discontinued the Vanguard backcountry that would have fit the bill but they are no longer made.

And that’s a shame. I have an initial iteration Vanguard Back Country in .30-06, the all-stainless version. Wonderful rifle, the only one I have that rivals my Tikkas.

So, in the interest of availability, buy a Tikka. I have several, they all shoot amazingly well.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I am leaning toward the tikka. It has 90% of what I want except the 24 inch tube. I even thought of a 300 win mag version, which gets me the 24 inch tube then loading the 300 down to top end 3006 speeds.Which would be a little above 300 win starting loads Which could work. But it would take handloading for all of my ammo for that rifle. A 3006 would allow factory and handloads as an option. Of course Tikka does not have a custon shop or any 3006 rifle with a 24 inch tube.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
But not a good option if hunting dark timber. Every hunt is a series of choices and compromises based on past experiences.

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

The Element is a very different route towards lightweight. I hunted one a lot this past season and was impressed with it.

Curiosity has me shipping it off today to lose about 6-10 oz's off the stock....we'll see how it turns out in 3-4 months.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Shooting them accurately takes a little getting used to. Factor in the fact that altitude can cause heavy breathing and the ever present wind and it can make holding even a heavy rifle on target difficult.

My first "guided hunt"('93) was a Combination Mule Deer/Antelope hunt out near Laramie, WY. We hunted the MD up in the hills early/late, and the pronghorn during the day. I had a Mod 700 Mountain Rifle in .280 (reamed to the A.I.) shooting the Nosler 150 BT at 2950fps. The wind down on those "short grass" prairies blew me/rifle and all making hitting extremely difficult. I finally shot my Pronghorn by wrapping myself up in a snow drift fence to get steady! Up in the mountains, (like I hunt over here) I was just fine.

I have also tried one of the first Ruger 77 Ultralites (.308) in the 80s. shooting deer in the woods (under 60yds) was fine. At 200yds, even leaning against the side of my jeep, I could not hit a 2 liter pop bottle, not even close!

A Custom MGA in a braked 340wby (6.5 pounds give or take) kicked the guts out of two Premium scopes, at the worst possible times. Upon return to America, I had it rebarreled to 338WM a bit heavier and Mag Na Ported., using only Barnes 185 XLC. It was manageable then, but only in the mountains, the prairie wind thingy.

So yeah...decide what/where you want to hunt and figure in as many variables as you can. I find the Sporter Weight better as an "all around" myself. i.e C.A. Mesa in 300WM/2.5x8 scope= perfection "for me". (although I love the Bergara B14 Hunter in 300WM also) Mod 70 FWTs/Mod 700 Mountain rifles about as light as I want anymore, especially for the occasional antelope. A "Sendero" style rifle is very good for, well, "Sendero's and Prairies" smile Have a ball though!

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 05/03/22.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J

Tikka T3X Lite Synthetic Stainless 30-06 Sprg 22.4in JRTXB320 on Gunbroker $849.00

Last edited by jc189; 05/03/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Did you draw your tags?

There is a Kimber hunter pro in .308 for sale in the classifieds right now, should leave plenty in your budget for glass...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Husqvarna. Strongest model 98 lightest I am quite sure they are 24 inch tubes?

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The Kimber hunter looks to be the ideal rifle, in price and weight and features. Under 1K and hopefully attainable in the market. I did notice they claim to have a match chamber in the rifle. Is that a real thing in a hunting. I have read in this thread that some Kimbers are accurate. Do they come from the factory with a test SUB MOA target included?

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Weatherby Ultralight in 30-06, 5 3/4 lbs plus a scope.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

wht state?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm

Is that with you shooting it too? If its like that with both of you shooting, the rifle has some mechanical issues if it's not the shooter. Some guys struggle with shooting an exceptionally light rifle like the Kimber. An example of how a good lightweight rifle shoots:

Had a buddy verify, even though it was not necessary.. A good rifle will keep them clustered in tight. Regardless of how many you send downrange.

This was one of the suggestions given right from the get go in this thread. Second post of the thread was a damn good answer to the question.
You want a good shooting lightweight rifle, buy a Tikka. Doesn't necessarily have to be a superlite either. It can also be a lite model. I have both and there isn't much difference in weight between the 2 models. That's also saying if I ran across a couple stainless T3 or T3X lites for $500 each, I'd jump on them and not even worry that they were not the superlite model..

the kimbers are known for the barrels heating upbetween 3 shot groups quickly because they are so thin they normally have to be cooled for quite a while or the groups will open up

Last edited by XBOLT51; 05/06/22.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[quote=Billy_Goat]I'm a big fan of the Savage LWH's. they were pretty cheap, shot great and very easy to tote around.

but like most here, I carry a lot of confirmation bias. my son and I hunt with a pair of Savage LWH's in .308. I think I bought them for <$600/ea.

the Tikka Superlight is a great config (only available at Sportsmans or Cabelas).

if you are left handed, consider the Browning 81 BLR. My blr wont shoot as well as the LWH's do, but looks cooler in all the pictures. smile[/quote

browning also makes a left hand bolt action which falls in the op price range and is a lot more accurate then the bar

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by wyosteve
I just picked up a Weatherby Backcountry Ti. Won't find much lighter in a production rifle.

yeah you will there are several that are lighter

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The weatherby Back country is very nice but it is over 2k! twice as much as what i can fit into my budget. But if I had the money I would have one.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Has anyone had any issues with the kimber Hunter rifles. Other then the barrel heating up and not grouping more then 3 shots in a group. I did notice that the Factory stock trigger guard is molded plastic. Not metal. Talley makes rings for that rifle so That is a go for me. Any accuracy issues?

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Sako76
Weatherby Ultralight in 30-06, 5 3/4 lbs plus a scope.

Yep, if you can find one of these on the used market they make a fine elk rifle. Mine is a 338-06 that I have killed one elk with and my son has a 30-06 he plans to take on his next elk hunt and leave the heavy 300wm home.

Like all lightweight rifles they can be hard to shoot without proper form, and both that we have needed some action bedding and both group best with a pressure point on the barrel. In both cases we replaced the factory pressure point which put uneven pressure on the barrel with a new one.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
With a price range of up to 1k$, I am limited at that price point, but there a few options for in sub 7lbs range and under 1K$ In 3006. Mainly Kimber Hunter and Tikka Xlite

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1badf350, 1minute, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 1Longbow, 59 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,164
Posts18,503,048
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.