Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by battue

Most Americans are not into good guns...shotguns or rifles.

Agreed. I remember the first time someone in our group bought a Krieghoff. Everyone flipped out on paying that kind of money for a shotgun when a Browning could be had for 1800 (at the time) or a Peerless for 1000 if you had to have an O/U

See it now with the money for an Echols or something.

Americans won't spend 20k on a K80, but will put 20k into a side by side UTV like it's nothing. You'll shoot the equivalent of 90k miles worth of traveling on that K80 and get a lot more of your purchase price back when it comes time to sell vs the UTV with those miles on it....

Me

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Well I have 2 and want more. A friend only hunted upland game with one (A Winchester M21) until he gained too much weight in his face and didn't shoot it well anymore. Now he uses adjustable stocked 12ga. I am prett sure if he found a 16ga that fit him he would go back to it.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Just sold a K80 I bought used...shot at least 30 thousand rounds out of it and lost 1k when I sold it after 3 years of use. The cost per day was less than some spend on a daily Starbucks or Big Mack.

As far as the UTV, you left out the truck and trailer to pull and carry it...

Last edited by battue; 02/03/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Ive got quite a few older shotguns. 870s , model 12s, 311s , A5s ,BPS , 1100s , 50s in gauges from 10 -410 . With the exception of the rare trip to eastern Va for deer i use a 16 gauge 90% of the time. In my humble opinion a 16 gauge model 12 is just about shotgun perfection. Last few years with the ammo shortage 16s and 28s were about the only thing on the shelves consistently.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348
First pheasant I killed was with a 16ga J.C. Higgins bolt action; one with a tubular magazine, not one of the clumsy detachable boxes that came along later. Those were very common farm guns once upon a time, and worked very well.

If I was looking for a 16, first thing I’d do is secure the shells, then look for a gun. Someone that wants to shoot clays or other high-consumption activity would be better off with a light 12 or 20. Can’t imagine anything more frustrating than having a nice bird gun and no ammo-nition.

Still have my dad’s 12 but it had a box magazine. Strangely to me anyway, it’s very light for gauge. Cheap American guns usually weighed and handled like a fence pole.

Speaking of shot shells, Scheels the other day were fully stocked with 28’s, 20’s, 16’s…but no 12’s!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Battue, nothing there I disagree with. Totally different cultures in about every way. Here, not every landowner is wealthy or has available disposable income, and with public lands, even the peasants can hunt to a degree. Most of them want a tool..

There, land- owners are aristocratic or oligarchs and can order a high quality gun for thousands of £, €, or francs, and have many of them. There’s a real market.

And thankfully, we get a few coming this way.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
I have an old Remington model 11 on 16 gauge that I love. It has somewhat taken over as my small game gun. I opened the full choke to modified to make it a bit more versatile. It held it’s own in the dove field this year and has proven to be a great squirrel gun the last couple years. I can see myself using it more and more, as long as I can find ammo for it.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Battue, nothing there I disagree with. Totally different cultures in about every way. Here, not every landowner is wealthy or has available disposable income, and with public lands, even the peasants can hunt to a degree. Most of them want a tool..

There, land- owners are aristocratic or oligarchs and can order a high quality gun for thousands of £, €, or francs, and have many of them. There’s a real market.

It may come as a surprise, but probably the most used shotgun by the masses in Britain are the various Browning O/U's. There will always be those who for whatever reason can afford...or appreciate, and sacrifice for....higher end wares. And the average Brit thinks we are rich in comparison....and rightfully so. Much the same with the Italians, however it seems they are willing to sacrifice more for good gear.

Here, most are willing to sacrifice for a 50-70K truck.....and the UTV....

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have 3. An 870 with all three barrels, an Ithaca 37 with a Polychoke, and a M12 with a Polychoke. One for each grandson. grin
Btw, I have plenty of shells.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

It may come as a surprise, but probably the most used shotgun by the masses in Britain are the various Browning O/U's. There will always be those who for whatever reason can afford...or appreciate, and sacrifice for....higher end wares. And the average Brit thinks we are rich in comparison....and rightfully so. Much the same with the Italians, however it seems they are willing to sacrifice more for good gear.

The Citori / Mirokus are another nice 16 gauge. The 12 gauge Citoris are well-made but on the heavy side for a field gun, though I had one I used as a target gun and shot 20,000 rounds or so at sporting clays and really liked it for that. The couple of 16 gauge Citoris I've owned were an ounce or so less than 7 pounds, well balanced and really nice shotguns. Another example of where the gauge and gun design / balance go together well.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Yeah but shotguns are all the masses of Brits own. Rifles being more controlled and most don't own large numbers like is common here. I have never owned a high dollar shotgun myself and probably never will but have and do own quite few.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
In the last 25 years or so we have seen a resurgence of the 16 gauge. As late as the mid-90s, I remember several specific guns on dealers racks that were discounted because they were 16s. Today we see premiums on them. That said, I think it’s growth/demand has leveled off, but doubt it will go down. It’s also a bit of a cult gauge, with lots of hunters like me who roll their own.

I love the gauge, have three that I use a lot: a 1969 Browning Sweet Sixteen, a 1959 Winchester Model 12, and a Browning Citori Superlight (steel receiver). And I pine for the Piotti 16 gauge that I sold several years ago!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
They may not own as many, but most often go for high end rifles and air guns...Same with scopes.

For verification, I receive a Brit sporting mag and shoot with a couple Brits who are here...There is more going on with Brits in the field than most realize....and it isn't just the wealthy that participate.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
They may not own as many, but most often go for high end rifles and air guns...Same with scopes.

For verification, I receive a Brit sporting mag and shoot with a couple Brits who are here...There is more going on with Brits in the field than most realize....and it isn't just the wealthy that participate.
I used to talk at length to a Brit on another forum who was a professional game manager for many years. He said comparatively few Brits own rifles and that those who do usually don't or can't own many due to licensing restrictions/requirements. When you can't or don't own as many firearms, you can afford to spend more on the few.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The English middle class with industrialization rose out of the peasantry but a long way from purchasing a £100k Purdy.

Perhaps it’s because of the vast distances here that settlers put a premium on a good horse; maybe that attitude inculcated into today’s brain results in the $70k 4w truck ( the technical features of which will never be used) the Stevens 311 20 lying on the floor in back.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Agree with a lot of what you say....but the Settler DNA for the most part no longer exists in the majority of those here today. Most, myself included probably wouldn't last a month on the trail west. You either had it or you didn't, and you couldn't BS your way West on the internet.

Then again like guns, I never favored beater vehicles.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer

The Citori / Mirokus are another nice 16 gauge. The 12 gauge Citoris are well-made but on the heavy side for a field gun, though I had one I used as a target gun and shot 20,000 rounds or so at sporting clays and really liked it for that. The couple of 16 gauge Citoris I've owned were an ounce or so less than 7 pounds, well balanced and really nice shotguns. Another example of where the gauge and gun design / balance go together well.

The Citoris have always, mostly, been overweight though of good quality. Ive had three? Even their so-called “lightweight” or “feather” or “featherlight” models, Lightening and Field Grade’s, etc., have mostly been too heavy in my view. How many ways can you describe a 20 or 16 ga (if offered) shotgun that weighs 61/2 to 7 lbs? 😀 12’s we’re often a bit over.

The one that hit the mark for me was the Superlight Feather in 16 at 6lbs (Miroku) which I just obtained though it took some years of casually looking. Of course it has an aluminum receiver but with a steel breech face. These have been shown not to wear any quicker than an all steel receiver. Obviously they didn’t have a big demand for them which mystifies me.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I used to talk at length to a Brit on another forum who was a professional game manager for many years. He said comparatively few Brits own rifles and that those who do usually don't or can't own many due to licensing restrictions/requirements. When you can't or don't own as many firearms, you can afford to spend more on the few.

That philosophy has been mentioned as what they should have done by more than a few here...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You either had it or you didn't, and you couldn't BS your way West on the internet.

Oh, there were a lot that “didn’t have it” that are under the sod somewhere or turned around at some point..

I’m pretty sure there were the usual BS’ers too, including some of the “journalists” who recorded the various personalities of those bygone periods.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Blackheart

That philosophy has been mentioned as what they should have done by more than a few here...
Yes but we like variety. Many of us even have several different rifles and/or shotguns for hunting the same species under different conditions. In contrast that professional game manager, who was contracted to kill upwards of 500 muntjac, fallow, roe and red deer per year off of several different large estates only owned two rifles.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

360 members (160user, 10ring1, 219DW, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 32 invisible), 2,064 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,724
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.