Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WGM
I don't think Les Miles is any kind of genius, but I also don't think he's an idiot ... He's learning, somewhat quickly, that he needs to yield to his assistants and even his players when they come to him with what they think they should be doing on the field ...

I, like others, have seen Les make some calls that could be costly, but have yet to see him do something that will cost the team a game ... If/when he does do something like that, we can most definitely discuss it ... but until then, I prefer to think that Les and his staff are just doing some weird things when there are no real consequences ... can't see him making some of those calls if/when a game is on the line ...

Also, it should be noted, that I am not oblivious to the fact that LSU is so incredibly stacked with talent, that it does mask some coaching inadequacies ... that kinda scares me and excites me at the same time ...

Zook could recruit like a mofo...Meyer won an NC with Zooks players...you got to be able to coach the just a wee bit, or hire good coaches to make you look good. Miles isn't a complete buffoon. You're right to an extent, talent on the field will win you a lot of games by itself.

War Damn Eagle!

GB1

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by isaac
Good morning party-boy!!

Great ballgame in schitty conditions....Did you keep the charcoal dry??

charcoal stayed dry, as it didn't rain a drop until about 20 minutes before scheduled kickoff ...

rain in the stadium was off and on ... I think there were 4 separate downpours of about 10 minutes each ... roughly one per quarter... wasn't really too bad, as the temperature was much cooler than we expected, and we had our ponchos ...

and the excessive amounts of bourbon helped too ... (grin)

-WGM-
WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
it's just like any administration ... the 'head' has to be somewhat able to do the job ... but the real work is done by the administration under 'him' ... that's why head coaches hire assistants, offensive/defensive coordinators, etc...

Les, from what I understand, is slowly backing away from making decisions during the game, and letting his coordinators (Crowton and Pelini) do their jobs ... Hopefully, in short order, Les will become no more than a figure head for the team, while the real mad scientists under him do their work ... (grin)

-WGM-
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by WGM

Also, it should be noted, that I am not oblivious to the fact that LSU is so incredibly stacked with talent, that it does mask some coaching inadequacies ... that kinda scares me and excites me at the same time ...

It should also be pointed out that it was Less Miles that stock piled all of that talent,with his great recruiting ability...
No one seems to be talking about Spurrier's bone head decision to go for it on fourth and one deep in his own territory against a deffense like LSU has....
Myles not only had the best team,he also out coached the OL BALL coach.....[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Maybe when Miles wins the national championship people will allow as how maybe he ain't stupid and actually is a pretty fair coach. Maybe. I don't really care...as long as the Tigers kick the ass of every team on the field, the armchair athletic directors who never coached a down of footballl above the 6th grade level can say whatever they want about ol' Les.

BTW where does that "Ol' Ball Coach" crap come from with Spurrier? I never could stand the guy but since he might be our coach next year, I'd like to know. wink

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B2

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Steve ... we were just talking about that yesterday, while at the game ... I think I'm the only one of my family and friends that doesn't hate Spurrier. I've always thought very highly of him as a coach, and am always very amused by his demeanor and sideline antics ...

If Miles is moving on, I'd gladly take Spurrier for our coach ... the guy has BT/DT and shown he's very capable ... I got no problems with combining that with the type of talent LSU is fielding these days ... (grin)

-WGM-
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by .280Rem
Don't disagree at all, but it hits out of conference teams much harder. I recall when Syracuse came to Auburn a few years back...one of their sports writers wrote a column that made it back to Auburn...they were floored by our fervor...and it was a game where only about 84,000 turned out...nothing special. Can't imagine how they'd have felt coming in to Red Stick for a 6:45 kickoff! They might have cut and run.
If you're talking about the 2002 game, SU couldn't have been that floored, they scored 34 points and only lost by a field goal.

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I thought the way he used to grab kids by the face mask and yell at them on national TV was absurd, and an abuse of his power over their lives. And his lack of self-control and sideline tantrums was a bad example....I wouldn't want my kid playing for him. But he can coach football, and made LSU his biotch most of the time I was there...When he was (briefly) in the NFL, I was always hoping he'd try getting up in the face of some 29 year old millionaire black running back about 6 foot 4 and 275 pounds and get the snot knocked out of him during a game. Didn't happen, unfortunately.

But why do the call him the Ol' Ball Coach?

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I think he has called himself that in interviews and it kinda stuck. I might be wrong!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I may be wrong,but I believed that he once refered to himself as "just an OL Ball Coach" and the Media ran with it.....

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
But why do the call him the Ol' Ball Coach?

I have no clue ... 'they' just do call him that, I guess ...

re: the other stuff you mentioned, I liken it to Bobby Knight, only not quite so outlandish ... I don't mind a coach that acts like a drill sergeant, but I do think you're right about it not being acceptable to physically harass the players on the sidelines, and that it sets a bad example ...

I haven't seen him act like that since he left Florida, and wouldn't expect him to start it up again if he came to LSU ...

regardless, we'll see what happens ... Miles might not be going anywhere anytime soon, which negates this entire conversation, for now ...

-WGM-
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
The announcers yesterday were speaking as to how Miles has the greatest respect from his players and the players know he's there for them. That often is enough motivation to excel for a coach. The fact they are some boss ass athletes don't hurt none either.

WVU/LSU is becoming more than just a fancied wish!! The top 10 is going to change much by the end of October,IMO!!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I sure hope so, I'd like to see some stability in the program. LSU is a perennial top 5 team, they need a long term coach who's here for the duration, not as a springboard to the NFL or their "dream job".....I want somebody who thinks LSU is his dream job.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
I thought the way he used to grab kids by the face mask and yell at them on national TV was absurd, and an abuse of his power over their lives. And his lack of self-control and sideline tantrums was a bad example....I wouldn't want my kid playing for him.

Steve,when I played I didn't much mind a coach get in your face when you made a bone headed play,what I didn't care for was a coach that kept the team cripp;ed up,because of an axcessive amount af hitting drills in pracice...
Notice Wiess made ND practice on Sunday after a loss and made practice tougher and that is why I knew that ND would lose to Michigan St. ND would not be physicaly able to compete the entire game.

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know why you want an LSU vs. WVU so bad ... I want to see the LSU vs. USC game that we seem to have avoided since 2003 ... I'm ready to put that discussion to rest ...

save the WVU vs. LSU for next year please ...

-WGM-
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
B/C my dough went to both those schools and still does as far as WVU is concerned. It would make me feel good!! Also Trey...the SEC ain't fully decided yet. Don't lay some bad juju on the Tigers just yet!!

WHY are you so convinced that USC is already playing for the Natl Championship??

William Arthur Ward

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not ... I'm just hoping for the LSU vs. USC matchup, so that we can put it to bed ...

but really, I don't care about anything other than LSU taking each game, one at a time, and laying an azz-whoppin' on each team they face ...

take care of one game at a time, and the rest will take care of itself ... (grin)

-WGM-
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
If LSU keeps up like they have been Trey, ain't no doubt in my mind they'll be playing for the NC.

That defense of theirs is devastating.

William Arthur Ward

.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If you're talking about the 2002 game, SU couldn't have been that floored, they scored 34 points and only lost by a field goal.

Guess UGA wasn't all that impressed with Tuberville Field at Jordan-Hare West Stadium (better known as Bryant-Dummy err Denny) either. UGA WON by a fieldgoal yesterday. And, I gotta tell ya, winning by a FG feels a dmn sight better than losing by one.

Last edited by .280Rem; 09/23/07.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by isaac
Just one slight problem with the 7 teams ahead of OSU in the polls who are undefeated as well. Also there are several very good teams behind them in the polls who are also undefeated. Things like upsets and the establishing of the true top ten start to take shape during week 7 and in the last 2 weeks of the season. Lot's of football to be had and proved and WVU vs. USF this Friday night is a great example. It will be a great football game,IMO. If WVU loses...their season is over essentially. Same for USF. Be patient gopher, OSU hasn't beaten MICH yet!!!
I doubt the Buckeyes are exactly quaking in their boots about playing the Wolverines right now, considering the big fat egg they laid against Appalachain State. Like I said, until someone knocks them off, the road to the championship runs through Columbus, and say what you will, but Tressel's got the Wolverodent's number! As for a rematch with an SEC school, they will be definitely looking for a rematch. Revenge is so sweet.......

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (219 Wasp, 204guy, 1badf350, 222ND, 1lesfox, 10Glocks, 68 invisible), 2,941 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,611
Posts18,532,845
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.