Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Originally Posted by humdinger
Originally Posted by Hogeye
Can't imagine shooting enough to wear out 8-10 Benellis. Must be leaving them in the truck for people to steal.

We've worn out a Nova in our duck crew... not that they were really worn out, but certain parts are not replaceable and you scrap the gun.

That's pretty impressive.

Just curious............. Do you have any guess as to the round count when it went to the junk heap ??

Only a couple seasons. Just poor parts.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by humdinger
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Originally Posted by gaswamp
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Those Stevens 301s are pretty nice. I got to handle a 20g and a .410 at a gun show and was pretty impressed. They "look right" and feel very good. Thats the first time I realized people were seriously using .410s for turkey.

the stevens 301 is made in China

The H&R Topper / NEF Pardner is made in the USA.

I knew they were made in China. Still nice guns for the money.

The H&Rs WERE made in the USA. Too bad they stopped making them. I always intended to buy one and they went under before I ever did.

The H&R's and NEF's are still available on the used market EVERYWHERE, And for Stevens 301 money or less.

They dried up around here and its only junk left. Better ones are priced close to an economy pump.

I suspect ruffed grouse road hunters are buying them.

Have you tried GunBroker ??

I didnt try gun broker.

I bought a 12 gauge 301 the other night because the sale price was less than used single shots I've seen.
Not sure if I will try a full 3 inch turkey load out of it.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Finding one right now is the trick, but I can't imagine anything better than my 870 youth. Once you get an extended turkey choke on it the barrel ends up 22" It is light and easy to carry. The stock is a little shorter than a full-size gun but is close enough for me. It did take some experimenting to find a shell that patterned tight enough for me to be comfortable with out to 35-40 yards.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by pullit
So Remington280, did your gun come in and what do you think about it?

My gun did come in, I bought some TSS 9 shot but I haven't patterned it yet. I plan to shoot it Sunday as I'm busy Saturday fixing my daughters car. Seems like when it starts to get warm I have too many irons in the fire.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
how does the bore look where the forcing comb meets the chamber? A lot of the older ones had tool marks that needed polished out.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
how does the bore look where the forcing comb meets the chamber? A lot of the older ones had tool marks that needed polished out.

I'll take a look, I've had the barrel off but did not look at that as I wasn't aware of this issue.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
R
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
I bought the Mossberg SA20 Turkey Thug and after a couple of years of use on a lot of different kinds of hunts and birds, I can highly recommend it.

Semi auto 3", 22" barrel with fiber optic sights and it's DT'd and optics ready.
I liked the fiber optic ( Ghost Ring ) sights so much that I didn't bother with the optics.

Camo synthetic stock ( I shortened mine with a thin recoil pad ).
Sling ready. Has stock inserts to adjust comb pitch.

It comes with a turkey choke and then I bought Mod and a IC choke to go with it.
It's super light at 5.5#, and functions very smoothly.

The trigger was pretty stiff, so I installed a McCarbo trigger spring ( 5 min job ) and it's much better.
This is the same basic platform used by Weatherby and Winchester. There's lot's of good write ups and videos on it for research.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

What fiber optic ghost ring does the Mossberg come with? I'm wanting to install one on my Remington 870.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
rem 20 gauge compact camo, i picked mine up at walmart last year for $375 ish if memory serves me correct. handi little shotgun

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Remington280
I bought the Mossberg SA20 Turkey Thug and after a couple of years of use on a lot of different kinds of hunts and birds, I can highly recommend it.

Semi auto 3", 22" barrel with fiber optic sights and it's DT'd and optics ready.
I liked the fiber optic ( Ghost Ring ) sights so much that I didn't bother with the optics.

It comes with a turkey choke and then I bought Mod and a IC choke to go with it.

The trigger was pretty stiff, so I installed a McCarbo trigger spring ( 5 min job ) and it's much better.
This is the same basic platform used by Weatherby and Winchester. There's lot's of good write ups and videos on it for research.

What fiber optic ghost ring does the Mossberg come with? I'm wanting to install one on my Remington 870.

This one!
When I shoulder this shotgun my eye is naturally centered right through the peep to the front sight. I'd originally bought the Turkey Thug to mount a scope or red dot reflex sight on, but this does an outstanding job and is super simple.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

R
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R

This one!
When I shoulder this shotgun my eye is naturally centered right through the peep to the front sight. I'd originally bought the Turkey Thug to mount a scope or red dot reflex sight on, but this does an outstanding job and is super simple.

Gotcha, I was just looking at those. Thanks

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
IC B3

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Is the ring plastic ?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC
Is the ring plastic ?

I believe it is. It’s very strong and highly visible. Your not going to break it very easily. It pulls in any light source and combined with the fiber optic front it’s a very effective sight.

While not designed for “wing” shooting, I easily smoked a sage grouse that I jumped out of the sage.

Check out TruGlo and see if they have better info on it.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'd probably break that off just looking at it....

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I had one of those with a fiber optic front sight on a 12ga Browning Gold back in the day. When I got set up beside a tree and working the bird in, I looked down and my front sight was gone. I was able to still kill the bird as it was so close but never used it again.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had one of those with a fiber optic front sight on a 12ga Browning Gold back in the day. When I got set up beside a tree and working the bird in, I looked down and my front sight was gone. I was able to still kill the bird as it was so close but never used it again.

I have a very similar ghost ring setup on a BPS 10. Works like a charm. But I just noticed the other day the front sight (plastic) has broken. Gonna have to find a metal replacement.......if one exists.

Anyone knows of a metal front rib sight with a fiber optic bead....... I'd appreciate the info.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Sorry but I don't, after that experience, I went to red dots.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

I'll be heading out with this Mossberg 20 this Spring. Picked it up to take young people out a few years ago but, just picked up some TSS #9s and I think I'll leave the Big10 home this year. Highly recommend the Mossberg. The stock is a Blackhawk which I love because you can quickly adjust LOP for sitting or different shooters.

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

Here it is!

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I handled 2 very nice 20's at Whittakers yesterday. A Franchi and a Retay. Fully camo, an the Franchi came with a red dot. I really liked the feel of the Retay, but know nothing about them. Both were in the $1000 range. Pretty expensive, considering that I'd only shoot them a couple of times a year. I guess I'll stick with the 870 and 11-87 20's.

i agree with you the $1000 range is out of my budget. Wished Remington would get the 20 ga. fieldmaster out on the shelves.

I just bought a couple from shortactionsmoker yesterday. Black synthetic stock, 21” barrel. Great little home defense shotgun. He’s got 2 left…..

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Remington 870, Benelli Nova, Mossberg 500.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

463 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 257_X_50, 1Longbow, 22kHornet, 55 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,743
Posts18,495,111
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.