Hop To
Page 22 of 24 1 2 20 21 22 23 24
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Rogan isn't going to lose his audience because of the people working against him.

He very well may lose his audience for apologizing.

He should have just given the finger and kept going.

+1

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antlers
People nowadays also use the phrase “judging their words according to the context in which they were spoken”…pertaining to the Founding Father’s…in order to support and justify their own agenda. Even when they’re on opposite sides of the spectrum…! The anti-gun people use that very phrase to devalue and deemphasize the 2nd Amendment nowadays. Others use it to justify the imposition of a Christian theocracy.

Seems if ‘Christians’ were really concerned about extending the ministry of Jesus, the best way to do that would be through their personal lives, rather than forcing their beliefs upon others through governmental actions.

Once long ago, a handful of disenfranchised Jews who were crushed between the Roman Empire and the organized religion of the Jewish Temple, maintained and exercised their personal faith in a resurrected savior…and changed the world. And they didn’t do so by forcing their beliefs upon others through governmental actions.
Originally Posted by efw
You’re presenting a false dichotomy and ignoring my points. What say you of the words of the Declaration of Independence? What was the point of those words if I am so wrong as you suggest? Do you recognize that there is an awful lot of real estate between what I’ve argued which is not against religious freedom but for a different interpretation of it based upon the time & place of the writing of the Constitution and the “forcing of their beliefs upon others through for governmental actions”? Consider how the interpretation I’ve suggested was implemented in allowances for legal immigration, and how much of the cultural problems we face today are due to people who have no common ground with American culture coming without any intention of assimilation. This is detrimental not only for American culture but also for those who come without intention of assimilation; they might likely be happier elsewhere if they don’t share our ideals, yes? It’s a big world. Or would you suggest there is no American culture? Or perhaps your hatred of the Christian Church would have you believe that our culture is actually an anti-culture, characterized by the idea that the FFs didn’t really believe that God had in fact endowed anyone with anything, or that it mattered not from whence freedom is derived?
Nothing that you’ve said above diminishes what I’ve said above. In any way. And the highlighted accusation that you made above…although it caught me off guard coming from you…doesn’t surprise me at all that it’s coming from a ‘Christian’. It’s, unfortunately, a typical ‘Christian’ response when one simply has a differing opinion about certain matters such as these.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
People nowadays also use the phrase “judging their words according to the context in which they were spoken”…pertaining to the Founding Father’s…in order to support and justify their own agenda. Even when they’re on opposite sides of the spectrum…! The anti-gun people use that very phrase to devalue and deemphasize the 2nd Amendment nowadays. Others use it to justify the imposition of a Christian theocracy.

Seems if ‘Christians’ were really concerned about extending the ministry of Jesus, the best way to do that would be through their personal lives, rather than forcing their beliefs upon others through governmental actions.

Once long ago, a handful of disenfranchised Jews who were crushed between the Roman Empire and the organized religion of the Jewish Temple, maintained and exercised their personal faith in a resurrected savior…and changed the world. And they didn’t do so by forcing their beliefs upon others through governmental actions.
Originally Posted by efw
You’re presenting a false dichotomy and ignoring my points. What say you of the words of the Declaration of Independence? What was the point of those words if I am so wrong as you suggest? Do you recognize that there is an awful lot of real estate between what I’ve argued which is not against religious freedom but for a different interpretation of it based upon the time & place of the writing of the Constitution and the “forcing of their beliefs upon others through for governmental actions”? Consider how the interpretation I’ve suggested was implemented in allowances for legal immigration, and how much of the cultural problems we face today are due to people who have no common ground with American culture coming without any intention of assimilation. This is detrimental not only for American culture but also for those who come without intention of assimilation; they might likely be happier elsewhere if they don’t share our ideals, yes? It’s a big world. Or would you suggest there is no American culture? Or perhaps your hatred of the Christian Church would have you believe that our culture is actually an anti-culture, characterized by the idea that the FFs didn’t really believe that God had in fact endowed anyone with anything, or that it mattered not from whence freedom is derived?
Nothing that you’ve said above diminishes what I’ve said above. In any way. And the highlighted accusation that you made above…although it caught me off guard coming from you…doesn’t surprise me at all that it’s coming from a ‘Christian’. It’s, unfortunately, a typical ‘Christian’ response when one simply has a differing opinion about certain matters such as these.

For whatever your reasons you’re simply an anti Christian troll that will spends days arguing. I’m not going to waste that time. Our founders views on Christianity were well stated right down to the very core concept of inalienable rights bestowed by our creator and notion that without a God their would be no natural God given rights.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by efw
What we have as the result of having sought after the “ideals” you argue for is the definitive proof of what Jefferson implied in the DOI; that to set aside the Creator was to kneel to capricious and unlimited state power, and the resultant obliteration of individual rights.
Did the Holy Roman Empire…which was a lot more Roman and a lot more Empire than it was Holy…set aside the Creator in order to force its subjects to kneel to capricious and unlimited state power, with the resultant obliteration of individual rights…?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
For whatever your reasons you’re simply an anti Christian troll that will spend days arguing. I’m not going to waste that time. Our founders views on Christianity were well stated right down to the very core concept of inalienable rights bestowed by our creator and notion that without a God their would be no natural God given rights.
More accusations and attacks and name-calling from a “Christian”.

shocker

IC B2

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

I have to apologize; that wasn’t meant as a mischaracterization of what you believe. I think perhaps I’d have been more clear to say “as an institution” or some such? Would that be fair?

What about my specific questions? It seems to me that you confuse an awful lot of categories and at times it’s frustrating to me because I can’t tell whether you’re purposely doing so to obfuscate or if you’re genuinely confused yourself.

There is nowhere that I have ever suggested anything like a theocracy or governmental enforcement of religious views yet you suggested as much earlier. I’d always expected you and I to have a conversation rather than a slam dunk competition?

Your vague generalities don’t address the specific points; as I mentioned, there is a lot of space between the extreme mischaracterization of my position you compose as a straw man and what I’ve actually said.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Our founders views on Christianity were well stated right down to the very core concept of inalienable rights bestowed by our creator and notion that without a God their would be no natural God given rights.
My very first post on this thread…
Religion and politics clearly don’t mix very well. Most of the Founder’s may have believed in God, but they also believed in the rightness of separation of church and state, and they most certainly didn’t believe that there should be a state religion. They were all about freedom of religion and freedom from religion. “Freedom” was the operative word for the Founder’s.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by efw
What we have as the result of having sought after the “ideals” you argue for is the definitive proof of what Jefferson implied in the DOI; that to set aside the Creator was to kneel to capricious and unlimited state power, and the resultant obliteration of individual rights.
Did the Holy Roman Empire…which was a lot more Roman and a lot more Empire than it was Holy…set aside the Creator in order to force its subjects to kneel to capricious and unlimited state power, with the resultant obliteration of individual rights…?

Again you sidestep the assertion.

Just because an instance in history can be cited where the other extreme (one which I’d agree with you is to be avoided) proved fatal to human liberty doesn’t mean that the opposite can’t also be true.

I’m arguing for balance, not for the establishment of a state religion. Again you seem hellbent upon arguing against something I’ve not ever posited.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by efw
Your vague generalities don’t address the specific points;
First, I’m good with conversing with you. We have differences of opinion regarding some things, and that’s OK. Second, I think I’ve been quite clear, from my very first post on this thread. You may disagree with my position and/or views regarding these things, and that’s OK too.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by efw
Your vague generalities don’t address the specific points;
First, I’m good with conversing with you. We have differences of opinion regarding some things, and that’s OK. Second, I think I’ve been quite clear, from my very first post on this thread. You may disagree with my position and/or views regarding these things, and that’s OK too.

When I ask you specific questions it’s an attempt to clarify things I don’t understand in your thinking. They’re not rhetorical.

Would my comment that you hate the Church (which you said was incorrect and I accept that) have been ok if I’d have said something about it as an institution? I don’t want to mischaracterize your positions but to avoid doing so I need to understand.

Similarly if you’re in a position where you don’t understand mine you are free to ask questions and I’ll answer. Better to do that than make false assertions… if we’re trying to understand one another…

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do people filter their faith through their politics…? Or do they filter their politics through their faith…? I see a clear difference between the two, and one is much more amenable to the “balance” that you refer to than is the other.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Do people filter their faith through their politics…? Or do they filter their politics through their faith…? I see a clear difference between the two, and one is much more amenable to the “balance” that you refer to than is the other.

I filter my politics through my faith just as I assume you do.

We both do to the extent we can… there are likely more limitations to our ability to transcend our cultural context than we realize.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

Mark 12:17 “Give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s and to God what is God’s.”

Politics is byproduct of man's lust for money... many people think that money is a byproduct of politics... Get to the foundation of all things... i.e. ALWAYS FOLLOW THE MONEY.

Faith is unrelated to either... always has been... and always will be.

If a man sees it differently,,, it a direct affront to his Faith.

At least that is my humble opinion on the topic.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by efw
Would my comment that you hate the Church (which you said was incorrect and I accept that) have been ok if I’d have said something about it as an institution? I don’t want to mischaracterize your positions but to avoid doing so I need to understand.

I’m attracted to Jesus’ ekklesia. ‘Organized religion’…not so much.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by CashisKing

Maybe we define politics differently but how is this possible?

How do we, as men of faith, not bring our faith into the voting booth with us?

Isn’t part of the reason why we appreciate Conservative nominees to the SCOTUS their willingness to (at least according to the materialists) “bring their religion” into the politics of abortion?

I mean just a citation of scripture is a political statement; Christ was reminding us of God’s place over the state, because Ceasars imagine was on the coin, and God’s image is on us (ie we’re made in His image) which is to say we don’t belong to the state contra Caesar’s assertions otherwise.

Genuinely trying to understand here because I think that there have to be differences in the ways we’re defining terms?

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by efw

I’m attracted to Jesus’ ekklesia. ‘Organized religion’…not so much.

Yep that’s what I meant when I said you hated the church. Again I apologize for the mischaracterization it was not intended.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by efw

Maybe we define politics differently but how is this possible?

How do we, as men of faith, not bring our faith into the voting booth with us?

Isn’t part of the reason why we appreciate Conservative nominees to the SCOTUS their willingness to (at least according to the materialists) “bring their religion” into the politics of abortion?

I mean just a citation of scripture is a political statement; Christ was reminding us of God’s place over the state, because Ceasars imagine was on the coin, and God’s image is on us (ie we’re made in His image) which is to say we don’t belong to the state contra Caesar’s assertions otherwise.

Genuinely trying to understand here because I think that there have to be differences in the ways we’re defining terms?

If politics ended tomorrow and there was never again a reason to vote.

No need to vote for war... or against war.

No need to vote for abortion... or against abortion.

Would somehow your Faith increase or decrease?

Hopefully neither...

-------------------------------------------------

Now the inverse. No Faith.

Do you now care more (or less) about money and it's power?

Do you now covert to be in Caesar's image because there no longer is an image of anything... but almighty Caesar?

"...a citation of scripture is a political statement."

Only if you allow it to be.

It can also be a statement of non politics...

Seek ONLY God.

Just a humble opinion from a lowly Christian.

Any man is free to seek his God in way he chooses... or to seek not any.

I'm not very bright... I will never be my place to tell another what to do or think.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

"...a citation of scripture is a political statement."

Only if you allow it to be.

It can also be a statement of non politics...

Seek ONLY God.

Sorry I should have said “a citation of THAT passage of scripture is a political statement” because in it Christ was making a statement at least partially political in nature.

There were folks in His hearing who were loyal to Caesar above God. There were also folks who claimed that being disloyal to Caesar was the only way to be loyal to God. By giving the answer He did to the question He told both parties they were wrong.

If Jesus in the very passage you cited was political then wouldn’t your assertion that I quoted be called into question?

As to your questions about “if” they’re worthwhile; we pray in the Lord’s Prayer “thy kingdom come” for those exact reasons. The problem is that until our Lord returns we are left to play out our faith the in public sphere as best we can, yes?

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
In the absence of enemies.....

I am MAGA.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

Your response here is rather hypocritical. By putting ‘Christian’ as you do when dealing with those who disagree with you it appears you’re casting aspersions upon their faith, correct?

A yes or no straight up will suffice.

Page 22 of 24 1 2 20 21 22 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (12344mag, 219DW, 204guy, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 52 invisible), 2,419 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,865
Posts18,517,909
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.