Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Diesel--- we built a raised hearth for the same reason---- you took it up a notch. --- the large massive stone work sends a message to the eye

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great story, beautiful work !!

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
G
G23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Great story and pictures. Please share more.

G23

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cool! Thank you for sharing. What a place.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
You should share those drawings in another thread so that the information is not lost. I'm certain more than a few guys could use it.

I will try to get them scanned, they are not letter format, rather closer to full sized for layout, on a type of parchment waxed paper, and like me, pretty dang old.

Getting a firebox to draw to the chimney is an art, and depending on if you need it just for heat or want to use for cooking and size of wood to be used are variables that have to be considered.

The engineering firm that my company owns may be able to help me reproduce those drawings.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Beautiful Home! A most enjoyable read. Thanks for sharing with us.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by worriedman
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
You should share those drawings in another thread so that the information is not lost. I'm certain more than a few guys could use it.

I will try to get them scanned, they are not letter format, rather closer to full sized for layout, on a type of parchment waxed paper, and like me, pretty dang old.

Getting a firebox to draw to the chimney is an art, and depending on if you need it just for heat or want to use for cooking and size of wood to be used are variables that have to be considered.

The engineering firm that my company owns may be able to help me reproduce those drawings.

Thank you sir for the response. I have always wanted to hand build a cabin. Myself and others would find the information invaluable. I hate to see the old ways lost.

Buy once, cry once.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Good job, Diesel!

Diesel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Day 2 of the thread,

This first pic is of the dining area. It looks out over the main field and towards the spot we first saw the old cabin. Coffee tastes better from this spot for some reason. All the critters put on the show out that big window. Spring has the gobblers strutting and the fawns with their moms. Deer are out there all year but with the rut comes the fights. When I plant corn the bears are about. Great entertainment.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The next two are pics of the same room with the door leading out to the big deck.

When the chinking is applied it will give the walls that log cabin feel. I am making my own light fixture for this room that will be very unique and "artsy". I am still gathering components.

I just had hand surgery, so I have time to do this thread or I would be building the table for the dining area. In due time.

I planted the main field perimeter with 30 apple trees a dozen years back and the apples draw in the deer and bear late September to December. Rule number one is no shooting big game in these fields...It's too easy and would stop the show.

Crops for the wildlife are rotated year to year and season to season mainly for the critters. I have learned a lot about food plotting over the years to much satisfaction. There are perennial wildflowers strips planted in the forefront of this view that just adds to the whole picture.

Diesel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
These pics are of the den or study. My wife is a hunter too and some of the deer are hers. The kids jokingly call it the dead animal room.

The first pic is looking toward the dining area. This post is being done from that desk.

The lumber you see stacked in this pic will be a built in wall system that will display a few rifles and guns and store all the clutter laying about. I read a lot and just getting the books corralled in one spot would be huge for me.

I used to do some bobcat hunting with my friends who have good mountain cur dogs. Legs are getting too bad to keep up with the young bucks so not so much anymore. That's one of the cats you see in this pic if you can make it out. The wall is made of vertical 2x10 plank ship lapped and scribe fit. The whole idea of the build is to take the same elements and repeat them in different ways throughout the house. Just another use of the same plank as in the living and dining areas. All the antlers in this pic were shot by my wife on the property.

We used to have a pretty good crew of bear hunters that over the years have killed over 30 Pennsylvania bears. I have taken my share.

Last edited by Diesel; 02/12/22.
IC B3

Diesel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
These first three pics are of my wife's desk and computer area. She runs her dog business from here. She can see through the kitchen and out the big picture window in the dining area from her desk chair. It is a cubby next to the stairwell to the basement. The desk is made from live edge slabs with the supports for the shelving done with two inch pipe that came from around the property discarded from old oil wells. I used that same pipe in the stair railing both vertically and horizontally. BTW, that pipe is used on the exterior deck railings too. Two inch pipe fits the hand nicely.

I made the pitch for this are to give it a more intimate space. A flat ceiling would have been cavernous inside. It also added to the look of the exterior.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
This is a wonderful home! I'm gonna tag along on this for sure!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Beautiful place for sure.

Diesel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
From standing by the stairwell railing you would be looking down the hall. The hall was designed to give a sense of all the beam work in the ceiling. As you look down the hall you are looking toward the master bath at the end. The idea was to show off just how many beams are in this house. Canned lights are recessed and spaced every third beam throughout the entire house. All lights are on dimmers and L.E.D. to conserve power usage. The whole house runs on a Honda generator adapted for natural gas.

This pic shows the triple windows on the left. They are there to give natural light into the hall. They look out to the small deck and toward the old cabin. Anytime I could add views and light into the design, I did. Living in that old cabin with little light taught me that and it also keeps power usage down.

All the interior doors I made are different. No two alike just for fun and add interest. This first one is pretty heavy from the one inch thick strips on both sides of the door. Clavos cover the attachment screws and give it the "look".

The pic below is a sliding door just behind the clavos door. It leads into the master bath. It is made with salvaged twisted succor rods from days gone by given to me buy a friend in the oil business. They are pretty rare nowadays.

This third door it to my wife's walkin closet. It is a speakeasy slider with small pieces of twisted succor rods.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You are a good carpenter. What do y'all have for a bathroom? Do you have hot showers? Do you have a washing machine?

Diesel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
We are now in the master bath. The first pic is of the stone floor before the clawfoot tub was set. I gathered these flat stones from the creek that starts on our land. They are also used this way under the commodes in the half bath and in this master bath. Gathering stone out of creeks and mountain sides is hard on the back and knees, but it is free and adds to the natural elements theme.

The tub is set on the stone floor. Note the ceiling pitch above the tub area. It is a pushout space that gives great views while in the tub. There are wall sconces on each end of the tub and a built in towel cubby hidden from view.

This pic is trying to show the mirror and vanity. I made the mirror out of acid washed metal and scraps of hemlock.

The shower stall is made of galvanized sheeting with a pass through to the vanity and has a glass door The pass through allows you to grab a towel off the hook outside and adds a sense of a bigger shower.

My wife asked for a particular look for her vanity The pic doesn't show the detail very well. There is a full-length mirror opposite the vanity mirror and her closet is behind that sliding door.

Diesel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Last pics. Laundry room and bedroom. Nothing special about the bedroom except the views.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I consider myself reasonably handy, but your on a whole other level. That's outstanding work and creativity.

Diesel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
In case you missed it, all the wood except the plank and beams is done on a circular saw to keep the saw marks visible. Band saws did the beams and plank. I burned up six orbital sanders and one table saw in the process. Almost all the lumber and raw material was hauled in my ford f150. I had help with the framing and roof and block work. My wife and step daughter contributed in so many ways, from sanding to insulating and painting.

I absolutely hate drywall work but pushed through it. This is my last build as i am 69 now and just want to putter around on the land now. I am truly grateful to have accomplished this much and have it turn out as envisioned. It was a hell of a lot of work and appreciate my wife's patience throughout the process, she is a tough nut.

I have been told it was foolish to do this at my age and that I would not have much time to enjoy it. But it was a labor of love and there is plenty of reward in that alone. If I were to die today I would have been happy with the ride.

There are still things to do but should finish this summer, God willing and health holds up.

Thanks for looking in and all the wonderful remarks. I AM kinda proud of the whole thing

And to Wabi.. IF, there any imperfections somewhere, my old eyes are now a blessing.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
well done . Very well done , thanks

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

62 members (Bluethunder8, BALLISTIK, Akhutr, 11 invisible), 1,255 guests, and 965 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,995
Posts18,481,147
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.