Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
pete53 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Mule Deer , i just read your cheap 6 PPC bench rifle article was a great read ! i had a Remington 40x 6 PPC in the 80`s that did shoot well , but with a young family and i also enjoyed hunting and fishing too , so i sold my 40x cheap, baby needed a new pair of shoes , sure wished i had that 40x back .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I had a 40X in 222 for a while, was not hard to shoot into "the twos".

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by pete53
Mule Deer , i just read your cheap 6 PPC bench rifle article was a great read ! i had a Remington 40x 6 PPC in the 80`s that did shoot well , but with a young family and i also enjoyed hunting and fishing too , so i sold my 40x cheap, baby needed a new pair of shoes , sure wished i had that 40x back .

Steve,

Sorry to hear you had to sell your 40x!

I'm sure glad I got such a good deal on my benchrest rifle--especially because it shoots so well. Evidently grouping 5 shots in "the ones" is still considered pretty good....

John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
That was an excellent article. I need to go visit the Capitol gun shop in Helena...

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The first range-session “fireformed” the new, uniformed brass, using the three Bergers and a starting load of Benchmark, primarily because I had more Benchmark than any other suitable powder. Bullet runout on my Casemaster maxed out at .03 inch, which is okay for varmint rifles but not benchrest rifles.

I'm pretty sure there's a missing zero.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mathman
The first range-session “fireformed” the new, uniformed brass, using the three Bergers and a starting load of Benchmark, primarily because I had more Benchmark than any other suitable powder. Bullet runout on my Casemaster maxed out at .03 inch, which is okay for varmint rifles but not benchrest rifles.

A missing zero? That's nothing.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Can missing nothing be multiplying something?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can’t comment on any of the articles. But I will say that I picked one up at my local store and I have to say it was feeling a little thin. No headlines on the cover grabbed my attention so I slipped it back in the rack.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
That was an excellent article. I need to go visit the Capitol gun shop in Helena...

Take money. 😸

Last time I was there a LH M77 came south with me.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
P
pete53 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by HeavyLoad
I can’t comment on any of the articles. But I will say that I picked one up at my local store and I have to say it was feeling a little thin. No headlines on the cover grabbed my attention so I slipped it back in the rack.

i also thought this magazine was a little thin too ? but at least Mule Deer`s article was another good one ! i always read his first .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

Take money. 😸

Last time I was there a LH M77 came south with me.

If it wasn't so danged far I would suggest a road trip...

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I subscribed to both Rifle and Handloader many years ago, once they became thinner with fewer articles of interest I check them out at the bookstore. If there are articles of interest I'll buy that issue.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by mathman

Yeah, a typo reared its head during the publishing process...

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunswizard
I subscribed to both Rifle and Handloader many years ago, once they became thinner with fewer articles of interest I check them out at the bookstore. If there are articles of interest I'll buy that issue.

Thin or not, they’re about the only gun rags worth reading. I keep switching between the paper and digital versions; still can’t decide.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I suspect Rifle and Handloader run just about as many articles per issue as they did years ago, but three things can make magazines thinner: The paper they're printed on, the number and size of advertisements, and the length of articles.

These days advertising gets split up in ways it didn't 20-30 years ago, also going into digital editions, and often TV or videos. This has also helped shrink the length of magazine articles, since the average reader's attention span isn't as long as it used to be.

Plus the amount of ads often drops during the panic-buying "shortages" we've been seeing periodically since the 1990s. Some manufacturers advertise far less when they can sell everything they make without ads.

John Steinbeck
H
hlg Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I've got piles of Rifle and Handloader from day one,not many issues missing.Anybody interested?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hlg
I've got piles of Rifle and Handloader from day one,not many issues missing.Anybody interested?

Yep...feel free to pm me with particulars. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Attention span, well, ah.................what?

Any data that suggests reader attention span has changed? Is there a scientific basis for this, or an assertion made by magazine editors?

GOA
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
Attention span, well, ah.................what?

Any data that suggests reader attention span has changed? Is there a scientific basis for this, or an assertion made by magazine editors?

What were we discussing? ;-)

It's been well-known throughout the publishing industry for a number of years, partly because there's more than one professional publishing association that tracks trends in buying and reading preferences--both in "paper" publishing and on the Internet. If somebody can't read an Internet "article" in 3-5 minutes (or even see the end when they started reading) then they're going to click on something else pretty soon.

Apparently even many of those who still buy paper magazines don't want to see more than one "continued on page 56" notification.

Another trend over the past several years in the specific category of gun/hunting publishing is that hunting stories don't sell nearly as well, either in magazines or books, as they used to even a decade ago. Instead the bigger sellers are magazines and books about cartridges, ballistics, etc. If the author throws in an actual example of how a certain firearm and ammo worked in the field, it had better be relatively brief, or the reader will switch to scrolling through his "smart" phone.

John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1234, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,522
Posts18,491,039
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.