Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
A few comments:

Again, the directions for the RCBS Casemaster suggest measuring runout approximately .1 inch in front of the case mount, or about where the ogive typically begins. As somebody else already stated, this is the area where the bullet typically enters the rifling.

Annealing after every shot certainly helps, especially when searching for the finest accuracy--which is why I typically anneal the 6mm PPC brass for my benchrest rifle after every firing.

With hunting rifles I typically anneal after every four firings, but keep the brass separated in Ziploc bags, with how many times they've been fired written on the bag with a Magic Marker. Have gotten fine accuracy by using only brass that's been fired the same numbers of times after the last annealing when loading a box or two of ammo. (I anneal after four firings because even with "ordinary" brass that's soon enough to prevent necks from cracking. But have found that even "premium" brass results in more consistent accuracy when annealed regularly, even if not after every firing.)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Might also mention "experiment" I made with factory ammo around 20 years ago. Had a custom rifle built in a well-known but not super-common chambering, and shortly thereafter was invited on a Coues deer hunt in Sonora. Didn't have time to work up a load, but lucked upon some factory ammo that had received great reviews--and not just in gun magazines. Since Coues deer aren't very big (in general smaller than pronghorns), I wanted all the accuracy possible.

Bought several boxes, then sorted them according to bullet run-out, measured as described above, about .1 inch in front of the case mouth. The batches were those with at most .003 run-out, .003 to .005, and over .005, which ran up to .008.

The .003 or less rounds averaged 3 shots in around .5 inch at 100 yards, the .003-005 rounds around an inch, and the over-.005 rounds about 1.5 inches. Now, even the >.005 rounds would certainly work fine on most big game at "normal" ranges, but I used the <.003 rounds. The buck I eventually got was only 220 yards away, but I was very confident at twice that range--or more.

Apparently that variation in accuracy potential would be meaningless to some here, and my field experience indicates it is--on animals considerably larger than Coues deer. But I was indeed happier and more confident with the best accuracy.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
That's closer to what I've seen. The other fellow's comment that he hasn't seen runout up to .008" make any difference is in direct contradiction to the blind test shoot I did with my friend.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I can truly state that I have NEVER measured round out on any cartridge, nor do I plan to in the future. I do believe that if you are a benchrest competition shooter, that it would be a critical factor, BUT for 99% of big game hunters I believe it is a waste of time and energy. I am a hunter primarily elk and deer, and believe that one should do the best job possible in developing a hunting load, I do not believe that weighing cases, weighing bullets, or primers, will make a difference in your ability to get the job done. Load them carefully with good components and don't worry about the minutia.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
For conversation, what falls under the headings of doing the best job possible and loading them carefully?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well that's just great... .003 or less runout =1/2 inch groups, and .005 or more = 1 to 1 1/2 inch groups... now i want a slant bed concentricity gauge to check my load test ammo (before i taint the data with crooked necks)... And a teslong bore scope from that other thread (so i can be sure what my barrels look like)... You guys are kill'in me ($$$)... You know that, Right!... A bunch of Enablers for sure... lol

Last edited by 7mm_Loco; 02/14/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
Well that's just great... .003 or less runout =1/2 inch groups, and .005 or more = 1 to 1 1/2 inch groups... now i want a slant bed concentricity gauge to check my load test ammo (before i taint the data with crooked necks)... And a teslong bore scope from that other thread (so i can be sure what my barrels look like)... You guys are kill'in me ($$$)... You know that, Right!... A bunch of Enablers for sure... lol

Both those items are nice to have but not necessarily required.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
With all the discussion about cartridge run-out, has anyone ever delved into how precisely rifle chambers are aligned with barrels, and that effect on accuracy?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by elkmen1
I can truly state that I have NEVER measured round out on any cartridge, nor do I plan to in the future. I do believe that if you are a benchrest competition shooter, that it would be a critical factor, BUT for 99% of big game hunters I believe it is a waste of time and energy. I am a hunter primarily elk and deer, and believe that one should do the best job possible in developing a hunting load, I do not believe that weighing cases, weighing bullets, or primers, will make a difference in your ability to get the job done. Load them carefully with good components and don't worry about the minutia.

I hear ya - in general however with the reduced a availability of components I’ve started elevating my quality standards if only to reduce my use of materials. To me, checking runout is an easy way to make more sure that a loader isn’t just churning out substandard stuff and testing more loads than necessary chasing better accuracy. It’s nice to qualify what different die sets or combination of dies creates the best ammo or not.

So I guess, for me, this step helps me determine what my quality components indeed are then I can load more freely without worrying about every single cartridge etc.

Last edited by PintsofCraft; 02/14/22. Reason: Spelling
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Might also mention "experiment" I made with factory ammo around 20 years ago. Had a custom rifle built in a well-known but not super-common chambering, and shortly thereafter was invited on a Coues deer hunt in Sonora. Didn't have time to work up a load, but lucked upon some factory ammo that had received great reviews--and not just in gun magazines. Since Coues deer aren't very big (in general smaller than pronghorns), I wanted all the accuracy possible.

Bought several boxes, then sorted them according to bullet run-out, measured as described above, about .1 inch in front of the case mouth. The batches were those with at most .003 run-out, .003 to .005, and over .005, which ran up to .008.

The .003 or less rounds averaged 3 shots in around .5 inch at 100 yards, the .003-005 rounds around an inch, and the over-.005 rounds about 1.5 inches. Now, even the >.005 rounds would certainly work fine on most big game at "normal" ranges, but I used the <.003 rounds. The buck I eventually got was only 220 yards away, but I was very confident at twice that range--or more.

Apparently that variation in accuracy potential would be meaningless to some here, and my field experience indicates it is--on animals considerably larger than Coues deer. But I was indeed happier and more confident with the best accuracy.

Thanks for adding so much solid data to the thread - helps us all evolve in a more thoughtful manner

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by mathman
For conversation, what falls under the headings of doing the best job possible and loading them carefully?

I start by case exam, i look for red fingernail polish on primer, if it's red it goes in trash, check, for cracks, then size, length, clean and chamfer. I load powder with spoon, and measure each amount ( especially on full loads), then seat bullet. Done except for running through magazine.

Last edited by elkmen1; 02/14/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Royce
With all the discussion about cartridge run-out, has anyone ever delved into how precisely rifle chambers are aligned with barrels, and that effect on accuracy?

Sure have. smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Originally Posted by Royce

Sure have. smile -Al

Great. Can you describe the process?

GOA
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Dialogue on this thread is outstanding- thank you all!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Seems like what I've learned so far is, the people who say there's no need to measure, do in fact measure, just maybe not as often. That's not the same as not measuring.

Still want to know more about fixing problems (not necessarily the rounds themselves) and what are you doing with the culls? Breaking them down and starting over? Saving them to "shoot out" for a just cleaned barrel?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
After reading a lot of Mule Deer's writings on this subject, I now check my rifle rounds for runout and adjust as necessary with the Tru Angle tool. The result has been more consistent accuracy from my rifles. The extra effort is definitely worth it to me.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Could you refine your components and processes so adjustments to runout become unnecessary?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Could you refine your components and processes so adjustments to runout become unnecessary?

I've worked on that some but am not there yet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bowmanh

I've worked on that some but am not there yet.

I’ve done the same over the years. Starting with consistent necks (either from the factory or turned), I found that a combination of the LCD, Redding BD, and Forster BR dies is almost guaranteed to produce 0.0015” or less of TIR, indicated on the ogive. Cheap dies can give good concentricity performance, as well, but it’s not such a sure thing, IME.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco

Amazon will put a very serviceable Teslong borescope on your doorstep for $55.99.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1234, 160user, 219 Wasp, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 60 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,459
Posts18,489,777
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.