Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't really have a work bench.

But have learned to throw a blanket or towel underneath if you're working on stuff outside.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
Originally Posted by blanket
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
Every time I go to the auto parts store, I buy a pair of Mechanix gloves because I wear them at work. Problem is, I don’t go through them at the rate that I buy them. So I probably 6 or 7 extra pairs.

One of my pet peeves was people who who wear mechanics gloves, what a bunch of pussies

They’re great for LE work. Not so thick that you cant do pat searches, apply cuffs, or shoot. They’re not so thin that you can’t knock on a bunch of doors or hit someone without banging your hand up. They’re also great on the range when shooting ARs or shotguns. Keeps you from burning your hands after several hundred rounds.

The only gloves I can work in.
Sometimes it's too darn cold to be working on stuff barehanded.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
As I have gotten older, my fingers have no texture, and are as slick as a greased door knob. I constantly drop things. Pain in the ass. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Magnetic parts trays have saved me hundreds of $$ in NOT LOST screws/parts/pieces.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Sometime, 200 hundred years from now, an archaeologist will be digging through my shop ruins (it's already a ruin) and find about a thousand tiny steel check balls and two thousand tiny springs from chainsaw carb metering jets. He will ponder it for a while...and conclude that they are indeed tiny religious artifacts sacrificed to the gods to atone for fat fingers and poor eyesight.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've moved my shop 3 times in the last 11yrs.

Found lost stuff all 3 times, especially that first move because that one had been in use for 20+ yrs.

Magnetic trays and telescoping magnets/grabbers help a lot.

Sometimes I'll use a large clear plastic bag with the bottom cut out as a see thru sleeve to catch things.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Absolutely nothing. My 2 workbenches are clutter free before I wander into the house. I never go to bed that my garage and workbenches are not organized and cleaned. The only exception to a clear work bench is when either an object is being glued or painted and must remain in place till dry. I use my workbenches multiple times per day. Have used it 2 times today before 8 AM. Will be using it while changing ATF and solenoid in transmission later today when it warms up. I do not have OCD. I have CDO. That is OCD put in proper alphabetic order.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by jimdgc
My workbench isn’t too bad, but my shop floor eats screws. You drop any kind of scope ring or base screw and it is gone, never to be seen again.

And that is why I have a magnet on a stick in my shop.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
A magnet doesn’t work on dropped primers 😮

Last edited by navlav8r; 02/14/22.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Loosing a spring & knowing it has me really pissed at myself & I go on a complete tare to find it.

But seeing a spring on the floor & not having worked on anything for weeks will probably haunt me for life.

Decided to clean my bench up . Don't it look better?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by navlav8r
A magnet doesn’t work on dropped primers 😮

Nor on aluminum, but it was a lifesaver the other day when I dropped a tiny screw on the floor. I knew it was there as I heard it hit, got down on the floor and did the cheek to the ground look and nothing. Got the magnet and ran it around and at first thought - nothing. But on closer examination, it had found the little screw.

My wife still kids me about a time many years ago when I was rebuilding the carb from her race car and I sent a small part into orbit when a large spider dropped onto the work bench (that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I don't really have a work bench.

But have learned to throw a blanket or towel underneath if you're working on stuff outside.

Call that an Indian Creeper.

Cardboard works good too.

I am MAGA.
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A clean workbench doesn't stop anything from rolling off.

Work on a towel or carpet piece instead of a hard, slick surface.

Get an aluminum angle and screw it to the lower edge of your workbench top, making a small gutter to catch rolling screws, pins. etc.

Wear an apron. Use a couple of clips or velcro to fasten the lower apron edge under the workbench when you are sitting. But not so strong it will stop you from getting up. It will catch parts that jump the gutter.

Bruce

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you can't keep a job site clean and organized you aren't going to make it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

324 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 160user, 22kHornet, 1badf350, 21, 33 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,112
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.