Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a Kimber 84 Classic 257 Roberts.

Really like the rifle, it's accurate enough but have two issues.

Chambering a round is difficult, the last 1/2-3/4 of bolt throw takes quite a bit of pressure, almost feels unsafe.

2nd issue - If you directly feed a round into the chamber, it will not extract the round. If you feed it from the magazine, it extracts it just fine. You need to use a cleaning rod to push the round out (obviously not very good in the field).

I have two other Kimber 84's, one in .223 and 280 ackley that will cycle the rounds without any issue.

Spoke with Kimber today, guy states that the cycling a round is normal and they're meant to pick up the rounds from the magazine. Told him that's not the case with the other two rifles I own and he didn't have a response. Not a lot of experience, but don't recall any other claw extractor rifle being limited to feeding from the magazine?

First issue, not sure if it's a head space issue or ?? I thought I read something similar at one time, especially with the Roberts, but can't find that forum thread.

First option is to send it to Kimber for an evaluation (50.00 bucks, plus shipping). 2nd bring it to a different smith, which I'm not sure where I'd go? Eastern, SD or Southern, MN?

Thanks for any suggestions/thoughts.

HR IC

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Kimbers rifles are perfect in every way, especially for left handed shooters.

The problem, is that youre not holding the rifle properly. Just consult your 24hour campfire kimber experts. Mere words, will make everything better.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What’s the serial number (example KM12xxx) or date of manufacture?

Are these handloads that have been re-sized or virgin cases/rounds?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Brad - It was manufactured in late 2009, shipped early 2010.

Factory ammo - If memory serves me correctly, Winchester chambers just a tad easier vs Nosler or Hornady.

Reloads are the same, if not just a tad worse. I don't reload, but had a friend load up a few rounds.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, that’s an early Robert’s. I had one from 2009 (a Montana) with a badly cut chamber… I’m struggling to remember the details, but IIRC the chamber was undersized. I sent it back to Kimber and they re-cut it.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've always operated with the understanding that a true CRF is always better off feeding from the mag, not because you can't top load, but because doing so puts extra stress on the extractor when it gets forced over the case and risks breaking it.

That in mind, if you've got a short throat, I wonder if there's literally not enough room/give to let you force the claw over the rim to get it gripped? I.e., because your round can't get far enough forward, it doesn't leave clearance for the claw to get over it.

Could be totally off base...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pretty easy to Start At The Fhuqking Start and it's fascinating,that nobody does. Hint.

Firstly,ascertain correct assembly. Most fhuqk that up. Hint.

Secondly,ascertain headspace. Everyone fhuqks that up. Hint.

Thirdly,ascertain throat geometry. Everyone fhuqks that up. Hint.

From there and with a $.99 Sharpie,you will KNOW exactly what the fhuqk. Hint.

Thank me later.

Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Pretty easy to Start At The Fhuqking Start and it's fascinating,that nobody does. Hint.

Firstly,ascertain correct assembly. Most fhuqk that up. Hint.

Secondly,ascertain headspace. Everyone fhuqks that up. Hint.

Thirdly,ascertain throat geometry. Everyone fhuqks that up. Hint.

From there and with a $.99 Sharpie,you will KNOW exactly what the fhuqk. Hint.

Thank me later.

Hint.................

Has Kimber ever acknowledged what a crapshoot these seem to be?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've "only" shot multiple dozens of Montuckys and patiently await my first "bad" one. I've also long been in da' bidness of buying used rifles that "don't shoot",yet have not encountered one that was "bad". I also like the ones with "bad" feed/function. Hint.

LW's are of course always suspect,as is Reupold. This one had fore base fastener touching barrel shank. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Kiss,find pressure and rock on. Hint.

Not that I don't enjoy watching Fhuqktards Flounder and the AMAZINGLY long list of Simple Schit,that folks can't do. HOPEFULLY she'll sell it and I'll build another 224 Speedmire on it. HINT.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I've "only" shot multiple dozens of Montuckys and patiently await my first "bad" one. I've also long been in da' bidness of buying used rifles that "don't shoot",yet have not encountered one that was "bad". I also like the ones with "bad" feed/function. Hint.

LW's are of course always suspect,as is Reupold. This one had fore base fastener touching barrel shank. Hint.

Kiss,find pressure and rock on. Hint.

Not that I don't enjoy watching Fhuqktards Flounder and the AMAZINGLY long list of Simple Schit,that folks can't do. HOPEFULLY she'll sell it and I'll build another 224 Speedmire on it. HINT.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................

You are really a national treasure! Next to Bricktop, no one stimulates more people on the fire than you do, congratulations!

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
KchuntRun,

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Here's to how Hilariously WELL Founded your countless Insecurities are and rest in assurance,that I'm more than a "touch" at ease in fueling same. Pardon my simply shooting it all and then some,as you Whine from your Couchbound Kchunt. At least you "get" to feverishly read my EVERY word and gawk EVERY Splendid Pixel,as you "live" vicariously. Hint.

Bless your heart.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...................

C
C
I have the model 84-M in a stainless ultra lite rifle in .257 Roberts. When you call Kimber they say their guns are made the way we want our guns made. A 84-m in 7mm-08 had a bulge in the barrel, a 10mm pistol arrived with a broken piece on the back strap. This brings us to the .257 Roberts, if you were an inexperienced shooter you would try to close the bolt but it was so hard that you would stop and ask the old man what is wrong. Their great rifle would not close on a go gauge. They did send me a return pick-up at no cost to me. Then the best part. They whined about my trigger, I told them I do not want a 22 lb. trigger but they kept whining. Then they told the lady I was working with a lie saying the rifle was fine and being returned to me. I asked for and was transferred to the shop where the gentleman told me the truth. They had in fact had to finish chambering the rifle. They only use Remington ammo in the shop for this caliber which I have no use for. Today the rifle will chamber Remington and Norma ammo without taking the felt marker off of the shoulder. Winchester, Hornady and Federal ammo closes so hard it makes you wonder if something is wrong. They keep saying they are known for their tight chambers to which I said that should be diameter not length (I know both count). After many month they agreed to take it back at their expense but then I remembered I have the trigger back where I want it so I will not let them mess with it again. In addition, They must think all people use factory ammo (which I seldom do) so they do not want us using hand loaded ammo. BTW, the rifle closes very hard and any ammo and brass from Winchester, Hornady and Federal. My man will finish chambering the rifle properly for $65.00 and not whine about the trigger which they would make heavy again. Also, I would give anything to have them make me the same rifle with a 24" barrel and long action. Get in touch if you like.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not everyone can make a paragraph. Hint. Fhuqking LAUGHING!

What Montuckys S/A's might you have for sale,that are "bad"? HINT...................

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 56 invisible), 2,271 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,391
Posts18,488,753
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.