-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never touched it seems to like 140 gr pills no matter brand..

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem

You should have been nearly 5 inches high at 100 yds at lowest 'battlesight' setting. My ammo duplicates 1973 'prickskytte' (sniping) ballistics. The D bullet is 140 grs at 2650 fps.
Your sight has been modified or you are using an extreme 6 o'clock hold.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by flintlocke

You should have been nearly 5 inches high at 100 yds at lowest 'battlesight' setting. My ammo duplicates 1973 'prickskytte' (sniping) ballistics. The D bullet is 140 grs at 2650 fps.
Your sight has been modified or you are using an extreme 6 o'clock hold.

Most of us here know that. I know this was not directed towards me, but Like I said in an earlier post, mine was shooting about 11 inches high when I first got it. That was with a 6 o'clock hold. Its funny because I watch videos on youtube and they say to use a center hold. Boy times have changed. There's no reference when you use a center hold. This is the front sight I used to get POI down to where I wanted it with a proper 6 o'clock hold:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I also agree, his front sight has been modified. He should have been more than 5" high at 100 though. The battle sights are regulated to a 300 meter zero.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fellas thanks for your input, I do use a deep 6 hold but as I said never touched the sights ..Had it for 15 yrs at least and the sights look original without any mod even though original sights are set at 300 mtrs...There seems to be some discoloration on the tip of the blade which could be a clue since it measures about .253

Woody
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Fellas thanks for your input, I do use a deep 6 hold but as I said never touched the sights ..Had it for 15 yrs at least and the sights look original without any mod even though original sights are set at 300 mtrs...There seems to be some discoloration on the tip of the blade which could be a clue since it measures about .253

The taller sight blades are usually marked. Like the one I use says +1.5. I think the base of the front sight on my rifle also says +1 or something of that nature. If you look at yours closely, it will probably have a number stamped on it.
Like others have said, your rifle would be shooting noticeably high. Even with a 6 o'clock hold. Trust me, I had to shoot 12" low to maintain the 10 ring on my first shoot. That got old pretty damn quick. I replaced the front sight ASAP. You've owned your rifle for 15 years, the rifle is probably over 100 years old. Do the easy math. Your front sight was changed out.. Dang, all this talk. I need to go and shoot mine:

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Video # 2:

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Barely legible but the front sight stamp reads +1 and another number i can't read...

Woody
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

The front sight is drifted out and replaced very easy. The sights are numbered for various heights. Carbine and rifles numbers are different from each other but the dovetail is the same. I ordered an assortment of heights and used one that got me set up for my shooting. I would expect most get changed this way. It is no big deal. The Swedish civilan and military were serious shooters, if not changed prior to import, often changed after. No harm to resale or collector value. The sights area all Swedish surplus. This is what we do. I could say more, but; your gun is all set now. You are not lucky or crazy. More par for the course than you maybe led to believe.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by fourbore

The front sight is drifted out and replaced very easy. The sights are numbered for various heights. Carbine and rifles numbers are different from each other but the dovetail is the same. I ordered an assortment of heights and used one that got me set up for my shooting. I would expect most get changed this way. It is no big deal. The Swedish civilan and military were serious shooters, if not changed prior to import, often changed after. No harm to resale or collector value. The sights area all Swedish surplus. This is what we do. I could say more, but; your gun is all set now. You are not lucky or crazy. More par for the course than you maybe led to believe.

Yes, his gun is just fine. All the guys I know that use them and shoot short range (100 yards) have definitely changed out their front sight. Like you say, it does not depreciate the value of the rifle at all. No one is knocking his set up, as it is extremely common to find these with taller front sights. Most will buy and extra tall and then file it down until it is calibrated for a certain zero range. 300 meters, to me, for an iron sight zero is not acceptable. That is for my type of shooting though. Others mileage may vary..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Seafire
Video # 2:

I spent 40 minutes of my day watching that John. Didn't really learn anything. The girl reminds me of the woman I know in my club that has a nice collection of Swedish mausers. She knows how to shoot them too. She's actually one of the ones that talked me into buying mine. She's mad at me though, for breaking the clubs high score, which she set about 10 years ago. Its all in fun though.. The stock in the video is pretty fuggly, however they love it. It takes all kinds, they say.. I looked at my rifle yesterday. I was going to take a pic of the front sight and how its labeled "+1.5" or something to that effect, but I didn't want to take the front hood off. Its easy enough to visualize though....

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Just found a Swedish Mauser bayonet and frog I knew I had somewhere. I'll offer it up here before posting it in classified. PM me if anyone is interested.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I paid $150 for a 1900 Gustafs m96 that a dealer/importer hand selected for me in the early 1990s. It is unique in that it doesn’t feature a bore condition disk but instead has a disk indicating it was issued to the Swedish Air Force. It also has the bullet conversion sighting data lacquered over on the stock. It is very accurate. When it was first taken to the range, a neighboring shooter offer to “buy that Swede” when he saw the first dime sized group, bettering his scoped-rifle group. It must have sat in the rack at the armory for most of the first 100 years as there is no significant wear to the bluing. The only defect is a bolt-sized divot on the butt stock, probably from the rifle sitting adjacent to it. I doubt that bayonets we’re issued with matching rifle serial numbers but a 20-year gun show and eBay search resulted in finding one that matched the last three digits. I think it will stay with me a while longer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have one I chopped but still carrying the original barrel. Most accurate rifle in the safe and I have some pretty fine ones.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
6.5x55mm - alive and well in 2022.

GR

V
viking Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
That’s nice

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
GR

That looks like a Ruger African.

Need any extra kidneys??😉

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Agreed re the Ruger African. Good looking rifle.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Does anyone know why they went with the slightly larger base diameter.
That is the only thing that tempered my desire for one as they have always been famous for their performance on the line/in the field.

I tried to stick with things with a 0.473 diameter so I can form brass if need be.

BSA1917hunter
That is one fantastic looking receiver sight.
Substantial

Last edited by LouisB; 04/09/22.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks LouisB. I was very lucky to find that rifle when I did and do love it. As for brass, I wouldn't let the size of the base run you off. You can find cheap brass like Privi Part PPU or even spring for some good stuff (Lapua) and it really doesn't set you back as much as you would think. As for loading the ammo, I just keep the shell holder in my die set and when I have to load some up, just pull the shell holder out and away you go. Its not really that much trouble. It would be nice if it was .473, but keep in mind this cartridge is 130 years old. Its pretty much the grand daddy of most smokeless cartridges and it is a damn fine one. Like I have said many times in different posts regarding the 6.5x55 and Swedish mauser, they were really ahead of their time. They used fast twist rifle barrels, unlike American barrels manufactured way back in the day. Check out this video. Its a good one as well, but more about how to read the stock disc on the Swedish mauser:

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Garandimal
6.5x55mm - alive and well in 2022.

GR

That's a beauty!!

BSA MAGA
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1936M71, 01Foreman400, 160user, 52 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,656
Posts18,474,665
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.