-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My brother was donor when he died from a stroke 12 years ago. They only thing they used was his corneas. He had plenty of other healthy organs but apparently at the time his type wasn't needed.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
My brother was donor when he died from a stroke 12 years ago. They only thing they used was his corneas. He had plenty of other healthy organs but apparently at the time his type wasn't needed.

hmmmm

sorry your loss.........

thought there'd always be a 'list'

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by tikkanut

hmmmm

sorry your loss.........

thought there'd always be a 'list'

Time is of the essence upon death.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Donor here. When my wife passed 7 years ago, her corneas gave sight to two women. They also were able to take tendons and some bone. Which was appropriate, she had received cadaver bone during some neck surgery.
I agree with whoever mentioned the donor recognition event. Very moving

Dale

This space for rent

T
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Dale K
Donor here. When my wife passed 7 years ago, her corneas gave sight to two women. They also were able to take tendons and some bone. Which was appropriate, she had received cadaver bone during some neck surgery.
I agree with whoever mentioned the donor recognition event. Very moving

Dale

good deal man !

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Tikka, hopefully your thread will open some eyes of the need that is real and present.

Good on you.

A
acy Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Wife and I are set up to be organ donors. One of my uncles was a recipient of a kidney.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Houston_2
My immediate family are all donors and listed on their drivers license.

It’s a very moving thing to go to the Organ Donors (Procurement) annual summer get together and meet the person who has received a donation from a family member.

I looked into the very eyes of the woman wearing my Son’s corneas transplant. That feeling is difficult to put into words.

You hear it said that if God didn’t approve of this then he wouldn’t have made these parts so interchangeable.

Wow.

I can’t imagine.

Thank you for sharing.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Not that I have much left that's recyclable, but I'm a donor as well.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I am.

Doubt anyone would want my liver either. Pretty sure it's defective, or past its warranty. Wasn't properly maintained per the owner's manual.

IDGAF if they use my pieces and parts for research purposes, dog food, or whatever. If it turns out that somehow it helps someone else (or some dog) down the road, so be it. I hope it does.

Thanks Tikkanut for bringing it up.

HC: Fúck you, by the way. I didn't even click on your link, but I got a pretty good idea where it leads. Go away.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am. I have also received a cadaver tendon to repair one in my foot

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Epishemore
I'm an organ donor. Give my knees to the needy.

I see what you did there.

Not sure if I can donate, having had part of a cancerous kidney removed and a couple of squamous cell tumors excised from my arms.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

Just when you think he's hit rock bottom and couldn't possibly go any lower.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am.

Told my wife I don't care what happens to my remains. Just make damn sure I'm dead before proceeding.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I used to work with a lady whose youngest son Jake died in an accident the summer between 6th and 7th grade. Five years later her oldest son was married. Without telling anyone the bride tracked down the teenage girl who had gotten Jakes heart and invited her to the wedding. Someone brought a stethoscope. Mom, and her son were able to listen to Jake's heart beating. That was a special wedding present.

In June I lost an 8 year old grandson in an accident. It was some comfort knowing parts of him are keeping someone else alive.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I remember the Surgeon brining me into see the new kidney dripping urine less than 5 minutes from taking the clamp off the artery to the new one. Wife had been on dialysis for 8 years and was about ready to give it up, hard on you.

Not everyone has a daughter in law like that.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Only problem for me is i don't have many organs left. whistle

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Same when my wife passed. She had leukemia though so I have always assumed that since it’s all through the body, that was why.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I am for sure. Uncle is a 2x kidney recipient.. I worked for 2 large air medical companies. Most of the time it's a matter of time to get the right organs to the right recipients. I've logged many miles in Lear jets with a big red and white igloo cooler. We would also transport donors who had been declared dead, but still had blood perfusion, to other facilities to facilitate the harvest of multiple organ to multiple recipients. Once someone is no longer circulating blood, the chance of successful harvest drops by the second.

At my current facility, we always honor the donors with a line up when they are on their way to the OR.

Please have this conversation with your families now, takes a major decision off them should the need arise. Also, make sure you have POA, Medical POA, and a Living Will. I've seen it tear families apart when the two sides can't decide what they think Mom, Dad, Brother, Sister would want.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yes. I am.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

127 members (35, arky65, 240NMC, 10Glocks, afisher, 10 invisible), 1,514 guests, and 807 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,601
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.