Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by waltcollins
From the list of deceased smiths, I treasure my Seely Masker .280 Remington.

I didn't have any dealings with Mr. Masker but was in his home town daily for year prior to his death, I wish I could have met the man. Hard to believe he passed 25 years ago.

https://buffalonews.com/news/seely-...5405a87-5a70-55bf-bdf5-0734a78246a8.html

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
2nd post on this for me.i have had rifles built by many of the top benchrest builders.going back as far as 35 years.from j borden to c spencer to b stevens and a few other of the old timers.best especially in this day and age is subjective and personal to each.but when it comes to hunting animals that can kill you and hunt you in return.controlled round feed by only the best will do.has to feed and function flawlessly in any condition.upside down or sideways.i bolt you can field strip and clean when necessary.darcy echols is known as the best.i wont argue it as i know a lot of the intricate things he does.to that point mr simillion and mr penrod are right there.i have 2 of marks rifles.one on a pre 64 and one on a classic.i have trusted both of them in the alaskan wilderness and have total faith in them.i also believe his chambering work is better than the other two.anyway as far as rem clone buils in my future.jon beanland and matt stewart will get the work.one each.i also own a gradous built rifle.perfection is the only fitting word.robert recommended matt stewart to me and that was all i needed.jon beanland and his work speaks for itself..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hardin284
Eddie Fosnough is still doing his thing. Been super satisfied with his work, comms and turn-around time

I’ve been very satisfied with the work I’ve had Eddie do, from simple bedding to partial customizing on a donor. He is presently building me a full custom 7mm-08 on a Zermatt Arm’s Bighorn Origin action. I’m confident it will be a shooter.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Roger Ferrell, member ACGG, he has built a number of Model 70s for me, a true master.

I own a rifle he built in 7mm RM and it shoots anything I feed it incredibly well. It’s a pleasure to shoot and the fit/finish is perfect. I second this call, Roger Ferrell can build a rifle! I will add it’s not a wooden stocked rifle either!

Bob Green builds a hell of a rifle! I have one he built and it possibly is the best shooting rifle I have.

Accurate Ordnance built fantastic rifles as well. Shame they’re gone.

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Interesting that most posts refer to the size of groups as the only measure of quality.

Last edited by RinB; 02/22/22.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Roger Ferrell, member ACGG, he has built a number of Model 70s for me, a true master.

Pics Man!

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Been forever since I had a copy of Rifle or Handloader in my hands - but IIRC he used to advertise in there. Little add, black and white. Name seems really familiar.

Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RinB

Interesting that most posts refer to the size of groups as the only measure of quality.

Yes it is. A decent number of my hunters start out bragging about their rifle’s accuracy. It’s way down on my list of important things on a hunt.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
This is like " what is the greatest scope for hunting deer".
Originally Posted by Ralphie
Originally Posted by RinB

Yes it is. A decent number of my hunters start out bragging about their rifle’s accuracy. It’s way down on my list of important things on a hunt.

I'll bet you see all kinds with different equipment.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Tony_Soprano
Funny story about that build. I called Charlie up and said I’d like for him to use 26” Krieger barrel after all that’s what everyone on the Internet forums say is the best.

There was a pause.

Then in a calm drawl he said “yup. I can do that, but I’ve had some real good success using Lila barrels and 24” in a 300 (Win).” Begrudgingly I said ok.......

A couple-three years later I got rid of a pair of G33-40 actions, 4 or so Pre War Mod 70 donors and a pair of Pre War custom rifles. No need to build nor want to take anything else hunting.

I ’d like to say I wish I needed to build another rifle but I don’t. The new Echols action has me very interested but I don’t need another rifle.

Sisk 300 Win in Zimbabwe 9/15/2018

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Beautiful lion !!!!

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Anyone heard of BROWN PRECISION out of California? The father died several years ago and the son took it over. I believe the father also manufactured the "BROWN POUNDER" stock. My 7-08 is still a lot more accurate than I am, especially at 76 years. Wasn't pretty when I bought it from the original owner, not that it had been mistreated but was solid black barrel, action and stock. I have toted it over a large part of the US and it now shows it's battle scars but will make a ragged hole when I am up to the job. Daniel

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Biebs
If wood and blued is to your lijing, Jim Kobe in Minnesota is also a good rifle builder. He's talented, relatively fast, and reasonable.

Same experience. He’s made multiple wood stock, and synthetic stock rifles for me. They’re very accurate and look great. Another one is about to start, on a Sako action.

NRA Patron
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

148 members (300_savage, 1_deuce, 308xray, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 22 invisible), 14,869 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,969
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.