Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pointer
Thank you for the explanation. For my uses that would likely be sufficient. I don't find plugs/muffs cumbersome when at the range, but do not like them for hunting.

What about for a rimfire?

Subsonic .22 RF in a bolt action is very quiet. On a 1022 the action is the loudest noise.
Originally Posted by SKane

JB,

Thread specific (fixed) or is there potential modularity in direct thread (like, say, the Omega 300)?

Direct thread.

5.56 and 22 use the 1/2-28 and 6MM, 6.5MM, and 30 cal use 5/8-24.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by WiFowler
-require you to think more about barrel contour (need enough barrel shoulder to make the suppressor or mount lock up reliably, without having a very thick barrel)

Can't agree more.

+2

Talking with one of the fine gentlemen at Bartlein, he floated the idea of contouring the barrel (2B) with a flare at the end for a 5/8 thread. I love the idea, just haven't worked up the courage to order yet - deciding on chambering/caliber would likely be a good first step. blush

Similar to what Barrett was doing on the threaded fieldcraft?
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by AKwolverine; 03/04/22. Reason: Pic
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Thank you for the explanation. For my uses that would likely be sufficient. I don't find plugs/muffs cumbersome when at the range, but do not like them for hunting.

Subsonic .22 RF in a bolt action is very quiet. On a 1022 the action is the loudest noise.

JB,

Thread specific (fixed) or is there potential modularity in direct thread (like, say, the Omega 300)?

Direct thread.

10-4. Thx!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Suppressors are great....end of discussion

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I will consider one, just as soon as I can buy them over-the-counter for a reasonable price. I am not paying the ATF to "Allow " me to have a silencer. I have had people shoot them on my range and I am less than impressed. There is still the crack of the bullet breaking the sound barrier. If you shoot tons of rounds with a silencer, you had better still be wearing hearing protection.

I'll pass for now.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
IC B2

T
ths Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
TX35W, what suppressor are you using on the 35 Whelen? A suppressed Whelen would make a hell of a hunting machine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Yes sir.

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yes sir.

Now do you see why they're worth 3 grand? grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hear that ADCO and maybe a few other companies will install a shoulder for you, so you can run larger threads for strength.

ADCO shoulder

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

JB,

Direct thread.

Thank you.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sbhooper
I will consider one, just as soon as I can buy them over-the-counter for a reasonable price. I am not paying the ATF to "Allow " me to have a silencer. I have had people shoot them on my range and I am less than impressed. There is still the crack of the bullet breaking the sound barrier. If you shoot tons of rounds with a silencer, you had better still be wearing hearing protection.

I'll pass for now.

That's one of the reasons I always use the term suppressor.

I was amazed at how effective suppressors were at hiding to location of a shot from animals.

As other previously posted mutiples on coyotes are much more common and deer or elk stick around a lot longer.

These 2 bucks were taken about 5 minutes apart from the same location.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

Yes sir.

Now do you see why they're worth 3 grand? grin

WWP53D
T
TX35W Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Adco will do a barrel shoulder for you: I have a few done that way. McGowen made me a barrel with a muzzle shoulder like the Barrett a few years back; I think it was maybe $50 extra for a custom contour. Krieger has changed the muzzle taper on a few different barrels I bought from them in order to have enough shoulder for a suppressor (this was the heaviest and maybe the worst option). If you own one of their suppressors, Thunderbeast will do a face mount brake (suppressor mount) that indexes off the face of the muzzle itself, rather than a shoulder behind the muzzle. I think you need .565 at the muzzle for their face mount brake.

Lots of options. Mostly out of laziness I mostly just run Rem sporter contours bc they are stiff enough for the shooting I do and don't taper much after the major step down from the barrel shank so you get plenty of meat for a 9/16x24 mount at almost any barrel length. I've also mounted 9/16x24 mounts on shoulders as small as about .600, red loctite, obviously, no problems. But still would like a bigger shoulder.

If you want a suppressor to be silent, you are going to be very sad unless it's a subsonic 22LR. It's more like the difference between a Harley with straight pipes and a Harley with a muffler. If you don't care about that, don't buy one.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Im "real life" suppressors are mot as quiet as movie "silencers". A high velocity round that "breaks" the sound barrier will mot quiet down that much. I use a .44 "mag" TC 14" barrel with a "custom" built suppressor in a carbine stock for hog hunts. Trick is to use sub sonic ammo. I load heavy - 300 gr to 335 gr - hard cast bullets at 800 - 900 fps. It's a short range round, but fairly "quiet" - & those heavy hard cast bullets penetrate VERY well up to at least 75 yards. I use this set up on my private property to avoid exciting the neighbors too much. The only other suppressor I use/meed is a .22 LR on a Ruger semi-auto pistol - IT is pretty quiet.

Just got fitted for hearing aids yesterday. I'm 71, if suppressors would have "saved" my hearing, sure would have been great had they been legal "back I'm the day"!

PS - I do have a "suppressor" on my 30 caliber air rifle, & it does take down the loud "pop" I get without it. Air rifle suppressors are MOT legally regulated as are those for firearms, so little reason to do without it.

Mike Holmes

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mikewriter
Im mot silencers mot carbine sonic penetrate/meed
back I'm the day

. MOT legally

The 'M' and 'N' keys arem't imterchangeable.......

Last edited by huntsman22; 03/04/22.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Only f’n heathens hunt un-suppressed. It so easy, a caveman can do it. Ti is the way to go.
20” barrels, or shorter, is where it’s at.

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by sbhooper
I will consider one, just as soon as I can buy them over-the-counter for a reasonable price. I am not paying the ATF to "Allow " me to have a silencer.

I'll pass for now.

This is where I’m at. Have a little knowledge/experience with the atf when they raided my fil’s buddy for selling a shotgun with a barrel 1/2” to short. Fil got dragged into their 5hit5storm because they were buddies and were trying to get him to roll over on his buddy. It was complete bull5hit! I’ll never pay those ba5tard5 to own a suppressor…

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Fugly

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
i have had a suppressor on my squirrel huntin rifles (ruger 10/22 and cz 452, both .22LR) for many years, and i only hunt with sub sonic ammo. i only have one big game rifle (308 win, 20" barrel) which came threaded, but i have no intentions of adding a suppressor. i just don't see the need for me. i think suppressors are great when using sub sonic ammo. when using full house loads, not so much. to each his own.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i will next season.

got my first suppressor a few weeks too late for this deer season.

trial run on my 6.5cm made me a believer.

no boom. just a crack and echo.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,764 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,385
Posts18,469,625
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.