Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
One of these days you might wish you had that powder.

I have lots of real black powder. I even have a bunch of smokeless from when I used to reload.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like that would be fun.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Looks like that would be fun.

It would make for a good show for the Fourth of July. Buy a pound from Bass Pro Shop and try it out

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by smokepole
I had a pound of Triple 7, purchased about 25 years ago, that was no longer consistent in my black powder guns, so decided to dispose of it. You can't just toss that stuff in the garbage.

Sure you can. Just fill up the container with water first.

Yeah, I guess that would work. My way was more fun, though.

No doubt. I would've burned it too. In fact, I have some I should get rid of....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lol, reminds me TRH, many moons ago probably around 1996 or so my Dad and I were out in his garage and he had found the hiding place for my black powder I used for fishing when I was a kid and he asked me what i wanted with it. I figured it wasn't much good anymore so we decided to pour it out in the driveway and light it off, we made a pile of it with 2 lbs and I put a 2 foot fuse into the pile, I lit it and walked back to the garage......WOOF! it was spectacular!

We didn't know it but my Mom was looking out the kitchen window when it went off and she came running out to the garage threw the door open and yelled ARE YOU GUYS ALRIGHT!

the look on her face was one of pure terror and fright, my Dad and I looked at each other and started laughing our asses off, Mom stood there dumbfounded, pretty soon she says "It ain't funny you dumb sonsabitches!"

She shut the door and locked the deadbolt, We just continued to laugh, we couldn't help it. Good times.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Lol, reminds me TRH, many moons ago probably around 1996 or so my Dad and I were out in his garage and he had found the hiding place for my black powder I used for fishing when I was a kid and he asked me what i wanted with it. I figured it wasn't much good anymore so we decided to pour it out in the driveway and light it off, we made a pile of it with 2 lbs and I put a 2 foot fuse into the pile, I lit it and walked back to the garage......WOOF! it was spectacular!

We didn't know it but my Mom was looking out the kitchen window when it went off and she came running out to the garage threw the door open and yelled ARE YOU GUYS ALRIGHT!

the look on her face was one of pure terror and fright, my Dad and I looked at each other and started laughing our asses off, Mom stood there dumbfounded, pretty soon she says "It ain't funny you dumb sonsabitches!"

She shut the door and locked the deadbolt, We just continued to laugh, we couldn't help it. Good times.

Bwahahahaha! That's awesome! grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Real black powder will last centuries, no problem.

-HINT-

DD

PS: Don’t use that method of disposal with Lord Black.

I did that when I was a pup. My plan was to make the fuse trail and light it and run. The reality was that running wasn't an option.....blinking wasn't an option.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cannon fuse, PVC pipe and caps, canning wax. Enjoy.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Cannon fuse, PVC pipe and caps, canning wax. Enjoy.

Bullshit.

You would have started a warranty claim....

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I pulled a stunt like that about 48 yrs ago. I was about 19. My brother and I cleaned out my grandfathers basement of all kinds of reloading stuff and had 2 paper grocery bags of powder that had clumped up from moisture and some old tins of powder that had rusted through, along with a bunch of 45 auto ammo that had gotten wet and corroded and several thousand corroded primers. We took it out in the desert and set it on fire. Wholly crap we though we were going to start a brush fire when that went off.

Then just last year my son and I tried some tannerite at a gravel pit that I shoot at. Thought we were plenty far from the pine trees.... Wholly crap I though we were going to start a forest fire.

I had thought about putting a bag of the tannerite behind the paper target we were shooting on my 2x4 target frame and not tell them about it, good thing I didnt or it would have demolished my target frame.

Some boys just never learn I guess.

Last edited by AZmark; 03/03/22.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Dad had a cannon when I was a boy, and myself and my older brother got into his black powder one time when we were about 10-12 years old.

We had a sawdust pile in the back yard, and made it into a "volcano" by putting a family sized soup can full of powder on the top.

What a SITE when it ignited! We must have had flames 10 feet high and the "mushroom" cloud of smoke must have been 20 feet around!

Thank goodness none of the neighbors called the cops!

Fun times!!!! Virgil B.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
So, I guess that 777 pellets will go bad also?

I went to the range last October to shoot the muzzle loaders and the first round that I shot with the inline just went POP and I completely missed a 50 yard target. I've never had that happen before. I shot about 10 more rounds that day and they all acted fine. Then, in December during muzzle loader season, I had a little chip shot from about 30 yards at a doe and had the same thing happen. The deer was so close that I can't imagine that I missed her, but there was no sign of hair or blood. I hope I missed. I'm not sure how old it is, but I might want to throw it in the fire pit. I've got another unopened box that I think is only a couple of years old.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Real black powder will last centuries, no problem.

-HINT-

DD

PS: Don’t use that method of disposal with Lord Black.

My understanding is black powder is an explosive. I’ve never seen the need to test that theory.

I’ve got some Pyrodex that’s knocking on 40 years old. Reckon it’s still good?

Might be inconsistent or delayed when shot in a black powder gun vs real black powder of any age.

This is pretty much my experience with the one[and only] bottle of Pyrodex I bought, and straight out of the freshly opened bottle.
Back to FFG and never looking back.

FJB & FJT
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Wayne Mayes the greatest skeet shooter ever died after being burned badly disposing old powder. This happened right after a good friend of mine was seriously burned working on reloads. He survived but is scared. Point is handle with care, accidents can and do happen even to experienced people.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ring3
Wayne Mayes the greatest skeet shooter ever died after being burned badly disposing old powder. This happened right after a good friend of mine was seriously burned working on reloads. He survived but is scared. Point is handle with care, accidents can and do happen even to experienced people.

Yep, I'm an adult with many years of experience and accumulated knowledge, so all precautions were taken.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1234, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 71 invisible), 2,223 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,785
Posts18,495,990
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.