Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
What ever happened to identifying a target first.

Plus they were hunting bulls and there are antler point restrictions. No way to know whether it was a legal bull without a clear look at the antlers.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If you shoot at movement, and kill a human, it's on you. If you go to prison for a while, it might get others to think before they shoot.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Lee_Woiteshek
Face shine and movement is going to give you away with all else being equal at bow distance if you have the wind. I think 300 square inches is a bit much. A blaze orange ball cap is all you need for any of the big game hunting.

The requirement here for firearms hunters is 500 square inches. That's about equal to a vest and a hat.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by WAM
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
A azzhole from Pennsylvania who supposedly was a hunter safety instructor shot at a elk that was in front of me. He told the guide and me that "he saw me in the scope and knew he wouldn't hit me" I did end up shooting 2 nice bulls that day, well 2 raghorn 5x5's but nice for a Florida cracker.
You need to know what the he'll your shooting at and where the he'll they were standing when you shot.

Where were you hunting that allows 2 branch antlered bulls to be taken? Asking for a friend…..

Saw that as well but waiting for someone else to comment on that.

I doubt we get a reply…..

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Lee_Woiteshek
Face shine and movement is going to give you away with all else being equal at bow distance if you have the wind. I think 300 square inches is a bit much. A blaze orange ball cap is all you need for any of the big game hunting.

The requirement here for firearms hunters is 500 square inches. That's about equal to a vest and a hat.

I should of known that living here. I wear a coat/jacket/parka that's all blaze along with the hat during elk rifle.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by WAM
Originally Posted by WAM
A azzhole from Pennsylvania who supposedly was a hunter safety instructor shot at a elk that was in front of me. He told the guide and me that "he saw me in the scope and knew he wouldn't hit me" I did end up shooting 2 nice bulls that day, well 2 raghorn 5x5's but nice for a Florida cracker.
You need to know what the he'll your shooting at and where the he'll they were standing when you shot.

Where were you hunting that allows 2 branch antlered bulls to be taken? Asking for a friend…..

Why wouldn't I reply, it was one he'll of a hunt. We were herd shooting elk after a 7 hour horse back ride. Our two guides rode down to the fence line of a ranch that bordered BLM land that had alfalfa planted on it. They had 22lr pistols and would shoot and and holler every 5 or 10 minutes. The herd of 56 elk came my way like they were on a string. They were walking on the same trail that I had shot a 180 class mule deer on a hour earlier. The dickhead from Pennsylvania who was supposed to stay on the opposite side of the mountain heard my shot and came over to my side of the mountain. The elk were only 20 yards from me when he started shooting over my head with a 300. At that moment I said screw the elk and laid down and started yelling and cussing at the dumbazz. Once I got my shirt back together the fun began. I was definitely excited, shook up and pissed. I shot at the first bull and he just kept on running like I missed. Then I shot at the second bull and he never flinched. So I went back to the first bull and thought they must be running faster than I figured and I was shooting behind them. So I just put a little air in front of the lead bull and squeezed the trigger and down he went. At that moment I knew I had screwed up. There was 3 of us shooting at the bulls and I was the only one shooting Remington bronze points. And needless to say the guide found my little bronze point in the off side hide right behind the shoulder of the second bull I shot. One of the guys from Pennsylvania who was blasting away claimed the bull and everything worked out. My Dad and brother were hunting with me and would of claimed the other bull it there was any BS. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho has no requirement for orange. They recommend it but leave it up to the hunters. One place we hunt a lot has a lot of busy hiking trails. As long as the hikers stay on the trails, the deer and elk ignore them. Almost none of the hikers wear orange but some worry about getting shot. Depending on where we plan to go, I sometimes don't wear orange in that area just so I don't attract the attention of some of the idiots. One time an anti-hunting biker asked me why I wasn't wearing orange. The question should have been why wasn't HE wearing orange. I had the gun and was unlikely to shoot myself. If I was going to do something really stupid, he'd be the target, not me.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by WAM
Originally Posted by WAM

Why wouldn't I reply, it was one he'll of a hunt. We were herd shooting elk after a 7 hour horse back ride. Our two guides rode down to the fence line of a ranch that bordered BLM land that had alfalfa planted on it. They had 22lr pistols and would shoot and and holler every 5 or 10 minutes. The herd of 56 elk came my way like they were on a string. They were walking on the same trail that I had shot a 180 class mule deer on a hour earlier. The dickhead from Pennsylvania who was supposed to stay on the opposite side of the mountain heard my shot and came over to my side of the mountain. The elk were only 20 yards from me when he started shooting over my head with a 300. At that moment I said screw the elk and laid down and started yelling and cussing at the dumbazz. Once I got my shirt back together the fun began. I was definitely excited, shook up and pissed. I shot at the first bull and he just kept on running like I missed. Then I shot at the second bull and he never flinched. So I went back to the first bull and thought they must be running faster than I figured and I was shooting behind them. So I just put a little air in front of the lead bull and squeezed the trigger and down he went. At that moment I knew I had screwed up. There was 3 of us shooting at the bulls and I was the only one shooting Remington bronze points. And needless to say the guide found my little bronze point in the off side hide right behind the shoulder of the second bull I shot. One of the guys from Pennsylvania who was blasting away claimed the bull and everything worked out. My Dad and brother were hunting with me and would of claimed the other bull it there was any BS. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

This has to be made up.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by WAM
Originally Posted by WAM

Wow. What did your guides have to say to the guy who was shooting in your direction?

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by WAM
Originally Posted by WAM

Wow. What did your guides have to say to the guy who was shooting in your direction?

I don't really want to go there. But we had 3 more days of hunting left and the one who said he seen me in his scope stayed in his tent a day and a half.

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
True Grit, maybe you realize this but shooting two bulls in Colorado is illegal. Having someone else put their tag on an elk you killed is also illegal.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by riverdog
True Grit, maybe you realize this but shooting two bulls in Colorado is illegal. Having someone else put their tag on an elk you killed is also illegal.

Of course I know, but stuff happens, I'm not perfect. Is it illegal to shoot a wounded animal that your helping someone trail up? It's been almost 30 years ago and I owned it then and will now.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
[quote=riverdog] Is it illegal to shoot a wounded animal that your helping someone trail up?

Yes

You can only shoot if you have a valid tag.

The way it went down sounds like a real goat show.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Interestingly I'll attempt to kill any badly wounded animal I see regardless of rules. Its call ethics. Sometimes ethics are above rules but you have to pay a price to be ethical.

What he did was not shoot at a wounded bull basically, but kill two bulls because he was stupid.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by rost495
Interestingly I'll attempt to kill any badly wounded animal I see regardless of rules. Its call ethics. Sometimes ethics are above rules but you have to pay a price to be ethical.

I wholeheartedly agree and have been in that situation more than once.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by riverdog

Of course I know, but stuff happens, I'm not perfect. Is it illegal to shoot a wounded animal that your helping someone trail up? It's been almost 30 years ago and I owned it then and will now.

As mentioned if you still have a valid tag in your pocket it’s legal. If we don’t have a tag, but are honestly confronted with that situation, the DWM’s I know here in Colorado most likely would not take any action.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by rost495

I wholeheartedly agree and have been in that situation more than once.

Sometimes doing the right thing comes with a price. I’ll help any deserving individual, short of getting a citation.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by WAM
Originally Posted by WAM

You sir, are full of chit.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chesterwy

You sir, are full of chit.
Why would you say that? Stuff like that happens all the time

As to the bow hunter fatality, if it were me I would charge negligent homicide if he mistook a man for an elk. But Louisiana law and Colorado could be different on what qualifies for manslaughter. I would guess a jury will downgrade the manslaughter charge if they have that option.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Hastings

As to the bow hunter fatality, if it were me I would charge negligent homicide if he mistook a man for an elk. But Louisiana law and Colorado could be different on what qualifies for manslaughter.

That was the original charge. The newspaper article said that they were in negotiations but the negotiations apparently broke down. I'd guess they offered a plea deal for the lesser charge, the defendant didn't accept it, so they set the trial date.

Do you have any insight as to what an expert witness for the defense would be looking to testify on?

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

689 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 3,188 guests, and 1,412 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,481
Posts18,471,797
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.