Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
AZmark Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Not sure where to post this question so you may see it in a couple different forums.

Just wondering what your experiences are about barrel length on a 7mm08. I've got 708's with 20 and 24" barrels. So my question is...So for hunting purposes, is it worth the extra length to put a 24" barrel when building a new 708??

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
not to me.....

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Agreed. I'll take a little velocity loss to keep it short and handy

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have a 20" Mossberg 100ATR that my son and I won at a church trap shoot. It's nice, light and handy. The 20" barrel works great while hunting from a blind.
With 6.5 StaBall, I've got some extremely good velocities while staying within book loads. Took a nice whitetail buck with it last fall.

Last edited by Lar45; 03/06/22.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
AZmark: I do NOT mind longer barrels in any way shape or form - in fact I prefer them - for reasons I won't take up your thread for now.
My 7m/m08 (Remington 700 Mountain Rifle) has the 22" barrel barrel and if "I" were building a custom 7m/m08 I would definitely choose the 24" barrel length.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Yep 22, 23 or 24 would be my preferences depending on the rest of the build

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hunting out of a blind in the woods I like short handy rifles with 20" barrels but hunting out of a box stand on a field length isn't a factor.
I would like a 24" on my 7-08 for sure.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
not to me.....

Same.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
This is Long Range Hunting..free velocity I like. 24 for me.

You have both..what do you like?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
My preference is for 22". Others mileage may vary..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
This 7mm-08 is short and handy, 20"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think you're talking minor velocity differences when you discuss one or two inches of barrel length. Stating the obvious, when you start comparing a 24 inch barrel to an 18 inch barrel then you have to start making decisions on how much velocity difference you're willing to accept or attain. This thread is already a classic example of different strokes for different folks. To me, 22 inches is about the sweet spot for a 7mm-08. As this is the Long Range Hunting sub-forum, if I were building for that stated purpose, I would think the 24 inch barrel would be my preference if that were my allocated use; however, 22 inches would work for me in that scenario.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Just posted on this subject recently. Of all the common hunting rifle cartridges I’ve chronographed over the past 40+ years, the 7mm-08 generally shows the least velocity loss with shorter bbls.
Personally I prefer 22” bbls because seems to me to be the sweet spot for less perceived muzzle blast vs lighter weight and portability.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
To me 20" is the perfect length for a 308. I assume 7-08 will be very similar. As far as velocity is concerned you have to go to 26" or more to see any meaningful gains. In fact, my 20" Tikka CTR 308 shoots the same ammo FASTER by a small margin than either of my 308's with 22" barrels. I find 20" easy to carry through brush, but it isn't short enough for noise to be a problem. Maybe in another cartridge.

I wouldn't go any shorter, and 22" doesn't bother me either. I wouldn't pay to have a 22" barrel cut shorter. I might if it were 24". But if building I'd want something shorter that 24" with a little meat in the barrel. Split the difference and go 21"

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Just posted on this subject recently. Of all the common hunting rifle cartridges I’ve chronographed over the past 40+ years, the 7mm-08 generally shows the least velocity loss with shorter bbls.
Personally I prefer 22” bbls because seems to me to be the sweet spot for less perceived muzzle blast vs lighter weight and portability.

Yup...22” inch is a nice place to be for a 7-08...IMO

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
22.5" works pretty good grin
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like 22”. I could suffer a 22.5”. smile But no longer than that for a 7-08.

Nice goat! Oregon?

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Nice goat! Oregon?

Silvies

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Yup...22” inch is a nice place to be for a 7-08...IMO

🦫

Very nice rifle Beaver.

Mine is just a plain jane Tikka:
It works great. I have a 6.5 superlite and a 308win, but I always grab the 7 for some reason..??

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have 7mm-08's with 22" and 24" barrels not much difference to me.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
22 is your huckleberry

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dre
22 is your huckleberry

Its quiet and deadly.. Shoot them behind the ear..

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had a 20” 7-08 in a factory Model 7 LSS. That rifle became my beloved .358.... my 22” 7-08 is a M700 mountain rifle which I have lightened about as much as one can. The whupass/weight/recoil ratio is pretty amazing. 7-08 is a great cartridge, and I gotta think it would be a hoot in a medium-weight 24” or even 26” target type rig. But for hunting I just cannot abide anything over 24”.... and there needs to be a good reason even to go 24”. Like being a 7 WSM for example. smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cut a 700V and a 700 BDL SS to 21" - both had OEM 24" IIRC.

Chrony showed 2960 with 139/140s with Varget and 4064. Partial sized brass. Safe in MY guns.

HOW I hunted and rifle BALANCE would dictate choice. A longer sporter will yield more speed and less blast.

FWIW, same loads produced 2850 in a 20" M70 Carbine ...........I never felt handicapped. When you get to a longer distance, Shooting skill will change the outcome more than 100-200 fps.........IMHO.

Lastly, heavier bullets LOSE LESS MV than lighter bullets, as you go shorter on barrel length. To me the round melds well with the 140 AB and 150 BT. Others do fine also. The 21" above........gave 3050 with 120s if one is interested. Varget.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
7-08 isa fine round but will never be a speed demon, If I am in open country, I would most likely go 24" if I am hunting thick cover, most likely go shorter.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A

Nice goat! Oregon?

You’ve bumped your head too many times……

Seriously a 1/2”…..?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have carried long and short barrels. I have never felt like long barrels in close cover was a hindrance. I would always go with a 24. I don't hunt from a ground blind, which would be one argument for the shorty. Velocity losses are irrelevant, unless you are talking extreme ranges.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Would rather have a lighter, shorter, handier rifle especially for alpine hunting. In real world hunting terms at 400 yards it is miniscule. With 20" @ 400 yards you’re 23" down, 7.7" WD and 1,700 ft-lbs of energy. With 22" @ 400 yards you’re 21.5" down, 7.4" WD and 1,800 ft-lbs of energy. With 24" @ 400 yards you’re 20.8" down, 7.2" WD and 1,875 ft-lbs of energy. No one should lose any sleep over such a non issue, especially for a hunting rig

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Yes, me too.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by sbhooper
I have carried long and short barrels. I have never felt like long barrels in close cover was a hindrance. I would always go with a 24. I don't hunt from a ground blind, which would be one argument for the shorty. Velocity losses are irrelevant, unless you are talking extreme ranges.

Ack- yes, I have bumped my head too many times and yes, I’d slum 22.5” but only if’n I was forced to. smile

SB, man, couldn’t agree less. I’ve hunted in thick stuff a lot and barrel length is a big deal, for me. My 20” .358 is a joy. 22” works. 24” in a short action is doable. 26” in a long action SUCKS.

I’ve put my money where my mouth is... I have a really good-shooting M700 XCR in .338.... those were 26” barrels. I hunted it that way (elk) a few years but it’s just never felt right. But the damn thing was so flippin’ accurate I was afraid to mess with it. Finally paid a smith to shorten it to 23” (this was before I was doing my own work).... Somewhere there’s a thread about this. Long time ago. It still shoots great. smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
My belief the 7mm08 is a great round and better stand in for the 308 for most general applications! The 22" really is a good compromise with the 20" perhaps a close second. For a lot of carrying in relation to shooting & not really reaching out, a 20" would seem fine. Also, almost a dying subject but if anyone besides me yet uses open sights, sight radius could dictate toward 24".

My only 7mm08 is a Win 70 med length action c.2000 and a really nice rifle in "Custom Compact" Model w/20" bbl. In terms of length, for me, the most important factor isn't barrel length, but of stock length. 14"+ is good for me. Such with 24" barrel, great canoe paddle too! smile smile smile
Best!
John

Attached Images
R427-2U.jpg (23.34 KB, 742 downloads)
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
You are not differentiating a 1/2” without a tape measure in your hand……….

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Dre
22 is your huckleberry

Lol!!! My bad
22” is what I meant. Best of both world when it comes to velocity and handy in the field

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by Dre
22 is your huckleberry

Lol!!! My bad
22” is what I meant. Best of both world when it comes to velocity and handy in the field

It sure is. Ha ha.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by iskra
My belief the 7mm08 is a great round and better stand in for the 308 for most general applications! The 22" really is a good compromise with the 20" perhaps a close second. For a lot of carrying in relation to shooting & not really reaching out, a 20" would seem fine. Also, almost a dying subject but if anyone besides me yet uses open sights, sight radius could dictate toward 24".

My only 7mm08 is a Win 70 med length action c.2000 and a really nice rifle in "Custom Compact" Model w/20" bbl. In terms of length, for me, the most important factor isn't barrel length, but of stock length. 14"+ is good for me. Such with 24" barrel, great canoe paddle too! smile smile smile
Best!
John

John, you got a good one. Thanks for sharing buddy.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If it was one I put together for myself...

24 inch.... same with the 260 Remington...

I prefer the long barrel... if I can't hump it out in the wilds, then its time for me to just quit hunting...

Although If I didn't have a couple of 260 Remingtons, I could see a Winchester Featherweight in 7/08....

but then my Featherweight in 7 mm Mauser would get jealous I bet...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Seafire
If it was one I put together for myself...

24 inch.... same with the 260 Remington...

I prefer the long barrel... if I can't hump it out in the wilds, then its time for me to just quit hunting...

Although If I didn't have a couple of 260 Remingtons, I could see a Winchester Featherweight in 7/08....

but then my Featherweight in 7 mm Mauser would get jealous I bet...

When Winchester came out with the featherweight in 1952, the barrel length they chose was spot on. Been great ever since too. Even works on the 7mm08. Mausers can get jealous all they want..

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
You are not differentiating a 1/2” without a tape measure in your hand……….

He was referring to the real nice gun with a 22.5” inch barrel. If you read the post right above his I think it will clear up all the 1/2” confusion for you.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Haha... yeah.

It’s true, I probably couldn’t differentiate between 22 and 22.5” without a tape. But here’s the thing. 22” is “perfect”, and so any deviation from perfect, isn’t perfect. smile

Pretty much just kidding around... my .223AI is some wacky random length. I think I started it at 22”. I liked it that way, but when I made a brake for it, I didn’t want it to be longer, so before I threaded the barrel I shortened it. I think it’s something silly like 20.5” plus the wee little brake, so like 21-1/4”. I LOVE the brake BTW. From prone, the rifle barely even moves. Super easy to see my shots at longer ranges, which was the notion.

When I had my .338 shortened I agonized (this is me we are talking about here after all) and ended up compromising at 23”. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited by Jeff_O; 03/08/22.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

why does an anti gun idiot like you, who doesn't even hunt, post on here ?

Haha... yeah.

It’s true, I probably couldn’t differentiate between 22 and 22.5” without a tape. But here’s the thing. 22” is “perfect”, and so any deviation from perfect, isn’t perfect. smile

Pretty much just kidding around... my .223AI is some wacky random length. I think I started it at 22”. I liked it that way, but when I made a brake for it, I didn’t want it to be longer, so before I threaded the barrel I shortened it. I think it’s something silly like 20.5” plus the wee little brake, so like 21-1/4”. I LOVE the brake BTW. From prone, the rifle barely even moves. Super easy to see my shots at longer ranges, which was the notion.

When I had my .338 shortened I agonized (this is me we are talking about here after all) and ended up compromising at 23”. 🤷‍♂️

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've never had a 7-08 shorter than 14"(XP-100),nor longer than 26"(VLS). That being said,with lotsa 18,20,21,22,23 and 24's in the fray in said chambering,I'm happy performance wise at 21". Not that an 18" can't do nice thangs,they're just louder. Hint.

While these Fhuqktards muse "performance",nary a one stipulates the schit that fhuqking matters most,which is RPM/Throat Geometry/COAL. Hint.

I'll happily gun a "lowly" 21-incher wearing 8" RPM,with .796 BC 180 ELD's,at a 2.950" Square Smooch. Hint.

Thank me later.

Just saying.

Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Stick, what's your thoughts on the 162 ELD in a 20" 1:9.5 Howa Alpine? What powder would you choose? I'm thinking the 180 is a stretch for the current barrel. Next barrel will be a 1:8.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ElkSnort
Stick, what's your thoughts on the 162 ELD in a 20" 1:9.5 Howa Alpine? What powder would you choose? I'm thinking the 180 is a stretch for the current barrel. Next barrel will be a 1:8.

I've shot alotta 162 'Max outta a 10" RPM Liljee SALAMI 7-08,in all weathers and nary an issue. No problem with said ELD version of same. Hint.

The attraction of a Howie 8" RPM for 180's in 7-08,do appeal. Hint.(grin)

'17 is warm/fuzzy for me. Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stick, 150 Scenars? I have a Rem Varmint Special that I want to play with at the range, but at 2.832" Looking for around 2750 fps

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Skinners are Skookum and said velocity is a breeze. Hint.

I'd be powerless not to AICS binderless DBM it and be whistlin' 162's. Hint.....................

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I use Varget with the 162 A-Max. I still have about 700 of them. It’s running 2612 with 39.5 grains from a 22” barrel. I’ve had it as high as 41 grains with no pressure signs but accuracy was falling off after 40.

This is the third barrel I’ve ran that combination in and they’ve all three been between 39.5 and 39.8 for the most accurate load.

The ELD series replaced the A-Max. I don’t know how similar they are in actual use. I’ll run out sometime this fall and find out.

In my opinion the 180 is too big for the 7-08 case unless you have a 26”+ barrel.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 7-08 is a fhuqking MONSTER with .796 BC 180's and a 21" will make 2600fps easily. Vargay sucks ass,in everything. Hint...................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For me, a 162 A-Max will get about all I can want from that round, and a 150 BT and 140 NAB will do alot of killing further than most will take a shot.

Wp - re: the 180s and long barrels, bear in mind, a HEAVY bullet will lose LESS speed as you shorten the tube.......So I would not expect a big difference. For me, I tried some 160s long ago in a 20" and was not impressed. Outside of the most extreme ranges, a 140-154 will do very well.

No doubt powders MATTER, as I was not using the latest powders back then. I had a few chats with a guy in Tx who used a 17" with a can, and some heavies...180s, his speeds were not impressive. Personally, trajectory was much better and more forgiving with lighter weights for his set up...but he wanted to use the heavies and that's fine. So long as you KNOW the range and CLICK to align POA to POI, then the animal will not know. I would rather use a 140-150 if wanting a max PBR. Not run #'s, but that's my logic.

My 21" never disapponted in both the SS BDL and the V - but they were LOUD. That said, the short tube were very accurate. 100, yes even 100gr HPs shot 1/2" at 200 yds in my V, with 3 shots over Varget, and not just once wink Yes, I was surprised also, would give a yote heck....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A 21" 7-08 with 180's does thusly,in this morning's atmosphere. Hint.

It loses less than 1000fps of velocity,at the 1000yd line and makes 1000ft lbs of "energy" at 1000yds,if only for conversation. Simply looking through the scope,will get it past 1100yds and one can juggle 30 MPH full value winds at 1100yds easily. Hint.

Just sayin'.................

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Stick if your 7-08, or at least your calculators, can achieve accuracy at that velocity then I’m impressed.

Last edited by Wp75169; 03/20/22.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kiss,find pressure and rock on. No different than anything else. Hint..............

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A buddy of mine has an 18.5” and although it’s very handy it’s very loud. I’ve got a 20” m7 and I love it. But when I built one I couldn’t decide on a 20” or a 22”… so I went 21”. Love it. It’s a douglas and shoots 140TTSX over varget into less than .5”.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a Rem 700 Mountain Rifle in 7mm08 and it has a 22 inch barrel. I like that length fine, but if I were to get another I would prefer a 24 inch barrel. This is partly personal preference and partly because I mostly hunt in open country where a little extra velocity is always welcome.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
The way I hunt I’d take the longer barrel for a few free feet per second and a little less blast.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

22” is just about perfect for a sporting rifle

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Poconojack

22 9/16" is the perfect length.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
22" on my 7-08.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Craigster

Nooooooooooooo

That extra 16th is gonna haunt me, just knowing it’s hanging off someone’s otherwise nice rifle. whistle

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Just end it JeffO.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
22" on mine

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Craigster

Nooooooooooooo

That extra 16th is gonna haunt me, just knowing it’s hanging off someone’s otherwise nice rifle. whistle

Other than being a commie liberal the only thing that haunts you is a box of bullets........

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
This is in the long range form. So 24 is the correct answer no doubt. Actually even 26 be better.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
150 eldx at 2790 can shoot a loooong way out of my 22 7/16” barreled Tikka.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
I prefer mine with a 15” barrel

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by pacecars

Those are pretty damned cool. Have you shot it much? Those have always interested me.

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
22 on mine. Pretty handy.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
22-24 inch work just fine on a 7mm-08

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by beretzs

Those are pretty damned cool. Have you shot it much? Those have always interested me.

Sadly I have not had the chance to shoot it yet but hope to remedy that shortly

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Post it up when you do, please.

Last edited by beretzs; 04/06/22.

Semper Fi
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
I have 18 1/2" a 22" and a 24" in 7mm08.
The short one (rem 788) is the most accurate of the bunch. i usually carry this one when still hunting or tracking.
The other 2 i mainly use in treestands.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
2670fps .670 BC 162 ELD-M 20" Smooches here. Hint.

I could give less than zero fhuqks,about another 25fps. Hint................

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I got my first suppressor last week and I don’t see anything ever being longer than 21” from now on. Flutes will be what keeps them at 20-21” 223 through 300 win mag this chop and thread. If it’s a bad idea I’ll not do it again.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No thang. Hint..................(grin)

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I wussed out on the starfish. Lol. I only have two so I’ll have a 19.5” 223AI and 20.5” -21” 6 creedmoor. I’m a little curious about barrel lengths anyway. 300 win will be 21”. 280AI 19” 18” 6creed and 17” 223 17-18” 243. Curious about balance too. Will see what’s what with these and go from there.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I can’t decide if I want to chop the 223 Montana’s off and keep shooting as is or wait rebarrel with 1-7” and have them threaded at that time.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Nice pic rail, Stick. Will it hold zero? grin

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by drano 25
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Nice pic rail, Stick. Will it hold zero? grin

Not when you throw it down a scree slope.
Hint laffin.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Going to have to go with the 20". A model 7 swings too nice with the shorter barrel!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You are going to get a lot of answers because the crux of the question depends on the individuals wants and needs. I hunt mostly thick woods in GA, AL and PA. A shorter barrel is important to me. If I were in AZ where you are shooting in more open country/desert terrain, I would prefer a longer barrel but balance wins overall. My REM600 in 7mm-08 wears a Douglas #1 with a 1.25" shank and is cut at 21 inches with a McMillan EDGE stock. It is light, balanced and shoots well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
himmelrr, said it for me: “Balance wins overall.”

My current 7-08 is a Kimber Hunter 22” and it’s balance is just about right for me. If the choice was to be shorter or longer, I’d rather have a bit of muzzle hang than muzzle light and whippy.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Balance wins but 20" everytime....portability and handiness beats 75 fps or an additional 50-75 yards or so on mpbr for you Kentucky holdover guys...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm thinking I"m going to chop mine to 18 or 20 inches, and go the suppressed route. Currently it sits at 24".

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I'm thinking I"m going to chop mine to 18 or 20 inches, and go the suppressed route. Currently it sits at 24".

Fully support....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Good to know Greg.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Hell ya!😀👍

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

I recently had a suppressed 19" cut down to 16" (which as everyone knows, is the shortest the law allows)

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
If you go 24" might as well make it 1/2" longer and chambered in 7 mm rem mag , you can allways download it to 7-08. Easier to ride a fast horse slow, than a slow horse fast...yup mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
A 22-inch barrel is my choice in a 308 Win brass based cartridge. The 7mm-08 ballistically betters the 308 Win on one end and the 6.5 Creedmoor on the other. Notice I said ballistically, as for hunting use they all have their own individual benefits.

A 20”-22” barrel with 8, 8.5 or 9 twist on a 7mm-08 may be the best carry, reduced recoil, long range payload (bullet weight, BC and WD) out there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As others say, balance matters most (with reasonable portability, of course). Noise matters second most. Velocity is probably third, at least with a 7mm-08.

20-22" sure seems like the sweet spot. I've used a couple of 18-18.5" models and they were a bit too loud for me. I have a 20" barrel at the gunsmith right now, being cut to 16.5" and threaded for a can.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Just recently got one of those in a 6mm Creedmoor. I’ve only shot it out to 600 yards so far with factory ammo.

In terms of the original question by the OP, my only advice is choose the length that you want.

Last edited by xphunter; 10/18/22.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rather than choose one barrel length, I shoot three 7mm-08 rifles: a Model 7 FS with an 18 1/2" barrel, a Howa Alpine with a 20" barrel and more recently I picked up a Remington 700 CDL with a 24" barrel.

Each rifle is set up to shoot specific bullet in different weights. For example the FS shoots TTSX pills, the Alpine Nosler E-Tips and the CDL 160 grain Barnes TSX bullets.

Being a rifle looney means you don't have to limit yourself to just one. smile

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My go to, whitetail setup is a GAP NT 7mm-08 with a 23” Bartlein that I absolutely enjoy. The rifle balances very well. My second 7mm-08 is a REM Mt Rifle with factory 22” bbl. It’s fine and I use it occasionally, since the GAP gets the nod more.

My next build will be either a 20 or 18” to run suppressed. Considering a 7 SAW but this project is still in infancy stage.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Well it's free velocity ... a little. More important are your hunting style and balance preference. Hard to go wrong.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Not worth it me in a short action cartridge like 7/08
I have a hells canyon speed with a 22” and that is as long as it needs. I run 140 partitions at 2922 fps with big game powder. If you don’t mind the longer rifle, shoot a 280. That may give you what you want if you feel 7/08 is not gonna get the job done

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
150 eldx at 2790 can shoot a loooong way out of my 22 7/16” barreled Tikka.

P
Yessir, that's good medicine too.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
A 20 barrel seems a little jumpy with a 308. But if I were to choose a 7-08 it would be for it’s efficiency and ability to be less jumpy with a 20 inch barrel. Something like a Micro Midas maybe.

....although this isn’t likely what I’d choose for a dedicated “long range” hunting rifle, I do think it would be acceptable out past 250 yards a bit.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Dude270
Agreed. I'll take a little velocity loss to keep it short and handy

+1

Ted
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I like less concussion at 24", and I have never felt like it swings slow. I prefer the 150g ElD x for the short range stuff, throated properly. As range gets extended, I then bump up to the 280 Rem with 180g ELD m at 2700(smidgen of powder), throated to match said bullet. Thanks, Stick!

Some things you just have to see to believe, 180g ELDM, .796 BC....impact velocity will make a true believer out of you!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by JMR40
I wouldn't go any shorter, and 22" doesn't bother me either. I wouldn't pay to have a 22" barrel cut shorter. I might if it were 24". But if building I'd want something shorter that 24" with a little meat in the barrel. Split the difference and go 21"

I agree with this for a whitetail blind rifle. Barrel contour about #3 or a Rem mag. barrel profile to about 21" would seem a perfect build to me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I was worried about velocity?

It go 24 with a bigger cartridge.
Ya gotta decide.

Why worry about trivial velocity differences when the STW, Ultra, or
Nosler....exist.

20 would be great.
18" would be ok. But loud(er).

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a 7mm/08 built a few years ago. I opted for a 23" bbl and have no complaints. The rifle was originally a 1984 Rem 700BDL in 243.

Last edited by dingo; 11/20/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's your average time to buff and polish that scope?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Yeah BABY!!!!

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AZmark
Not sure where to post this question so you may see it in a couple different forums.

Just wondering what your experiences are about barrel length on a 7mm08. I've got 708's with 20 and 24" barrels. So my question is...So for hunting purposes, is it worth the extra length to put a 24" barrel when building a new 708??

Either is fine. You can guess around 30-35 fps per inch.

Will that make a difference for your max distance for the game you are hunting.
If not, go with the shorty

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
What makes this post more interesting is that it's in the LR forum. There are some of us that must navigate nasty brush and be ready to shoot long range. I've done it with several rifle lengths, and shorter is better for sure. Compounding the challenge is the fact that I don't like to carry the rifle outside the pack. So, my 24 inch Tikka is really not fun to pack. One upside is that I move a lot slower and more quietly smile
Anyway, I'll vote for the 20 incher on a 7'08. And concur with the chorus here, or at least Stick (The One Man Chorus? smile ) -- the 160-180 grain low drag bullets in an 8 twisted rifle with a good chamber matched to the magazine is the epitome of rifle craft. For many years it took a custom rifle to bring those elements together. Now we're in gravy.

No charge for the Thanksgiving pun.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If I had to pick one platform, that is a question with an easy answer.

1980s and early 1990s Rem 700 Mountain Rifle with the Laminate stock in 7/08...
or a Model 70 Featherweight in 7/08...XTR with laminate stock
Or either rifle in 7 x 57...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have hunted in a lot of thick forest. The long barrel is not a hinderance. I will take less muzzle blast and more velocity every time. The “need” for a short barrel is nothing but the perception of the user. If it makes you feel good, then use a short one.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I have hunted in a lot of thick forest. The long barrel is not a hinderance. I will take less muzzle blast and more velocity every time. The “need” for a short barrel is nothing but the perception of the user. If it makes you feel good, then use a short one.

Actually just the opposite IMO. The need for a longer barrel and extra 100fps is nothing but perception. A 140 AB running 2700, or 120 BT runing 2925 are both killing machines.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Actually just the opposite IMO. The need for a longer barrel and extra 100fps is nothing but perception. A 140 AB running 2700, or 120 BT runing 2925 are both killing machines.

LOL.

You have never shot anything at LR.

Why do you think your lack of experience on the subject requires a post?

[Linked Image from external-content.duckduckgo.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don’t care if you hunt with a 6 inch barrel or a 26 inch barrel. As long as you can cleanly kill an animal at whatever distance you are hunting at and it’s legal, go for it!

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All I’ll say is whatever floats your boat is what you should go with. This is all personal preference and that’s it, nothing more nothing less.

I am nobody in the big picture of the world. Just a working man that likes to hunt. With that said, I have toted a 24” tubed 7-08 for the last 19 years all over North America. From my local deer stand, 5 provinces in Canada, 7 western states and up to AK. Shots from 6 feet to 525 yards resulting in dead critters. I think I am comfortable in saying that I have never felt that a 24” tube was an impedance on any hunt, including back pack goats in BC. Others mileage may vary and that’s all good . As I said all that matters is what you like because your the one humping it .

I Kill Things......deal with it..
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
22 is optimal

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Mine(stock 700 Mtn Rifle) has a 22” and I’ve always thought it was a nice length, it balances well and shoots fine. Shot a buck with it at 430ish this fall with a lumbering slow 162 ELD-M.

If I ever shoot it enough to rebarrel it’ll be 19 or 20”….

And have a can on it….

Ben

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My preference is for 22". Others mileage may vary..
This

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A 22 barrel? Yah, got that covered with a Kimber Classic Select shooting very well - better than the MOA guarantee.

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by olgrouser
A 22 barrel? Yah, got that covered with a Kimber Classic Select shooting very well - better than the MOA guarantee.

That's nice!
Would like to find one of those.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,411 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,422
Posts18,470,622
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.