Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by .280Rem
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by .280-Rem
It should also be noted that when UGA scored the winning TD in OT last saturday against UGA, the cups, and whiskey bottles rained down from the Alabama student section on the UGA players to the point Saban had to comment on it in a press conference the next day. His reply about his own fans? "No I don't think its classy to throw things, and I don't think its classy to call someone in the middle of the night to complain." When asked if someone had called him he said he didn't answer the phone at his house. Its come out that the OC Major Apple-white got a midnight call, allegedly from a drunk big money booster, complaining about his play calling. Saban ole bud, when you signed up for the richest job in college football, did you not expect such calls? I mean big money means access. Rank and file fan didn't have Apple-white's home number I can assure you. And your constituency isn't known for actually having class, though they throw the word around a lot as if they know what it means.

That would seem very improbable, but I know better. This is the same bunch that threw a brick through Bill Curry's window after a 10 win season. It's time to pass a little Xanax around in Tuscaloosa.

Granted it would seem improbable or over the top to an outsider. You and I know better. Xanax won't touch the delusional behavior many bammers suffer from. They be's see'n thangs! They hired the $32 Million Dollar Man and started having visions of Crystal Football Trophies dancing in their heads. I know you're pretty close to it all in Atalanta, but still there's a buffer...you don't have to suffer the litany of phone calls to sports talk shows that begin and/or end with "rowtide" or "RTR y'all".

You're right about that. We are "Feinbaum" proof over here. You have my sympathies. My AU buddy down Mobile way was moaning about how Saban is "cleaning up around here" in recruiting. I told him "so what?" Many of AU's stars over the years certainly have not come from in state. Remember Tracy & David Rocker, Ronnie Brown, Takeo Spikes, Kenny and David Irons? All from Georgia, to name a few. We have a pipeline from Dillard HS in Ft. Lauderdale. Georgia has 7 million people, Florida about 16 million, and Alabama has what, 2.5M? Lot's of out of state talent. No worries.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK
Originally Posted by jwp475
The BCS, not OU, decided who would play in 2003.

We know who made the decision,but that didn't make it the correct decision .....

Well, that's your opinion...............

Let's see,it was my understnading that the 2 teams playing in the BCS championship game are to be considered the 2 best teams in the country..OU did not lose early in the season and get strong toward the end of the season,no their lose was for the conference championship.Their conference consist of 12 teams and OU came in secound in a field of 12.Their are 12 conference and 4 indepedents in division 1A football,consisting of 119 teams...OU came in secound in a field of 12 and you believe that the decision for them to play for the National champioship was correct..................AMAZING

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Let's see,it was my understnading that the 2 teams playing in the BCS championship game are to be considered the 2 best teams in the country..OU did not lose early in the season and get strong toward the end of the season,no their lose was for the conference championship.Their conference consist of 12 teams and OU came in secound in a field of 12.Their are 12 conference and 4 indepedents in division 1A football,consisting of 119 teams...OU came in secound in a field of 12 and you believe that the decision for them to play for the National champioship was correct..................AMAZING

So who should have played then? OU won more games than USC that year. USC played an easier schedule and didn't have to play a conference championship game.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

USC had one loss the same as OU and LSU. USC and LSU won their conferences that year and their one loss came earlier in the season and they climbed back up in the rankings. Their were no undefeted top ranked teams that year.....USC was ranked ahead of LSU unitll the last weak.....USC played in the Pact Ten and OU played in the Big Ten, about even on conference shedule I'd say,too long ago for me to remember the out of conference schedules...To lose the conference Champioship game 35 to 7 and not fall in the polls, Come on you've got to be kidding to thimk that was right........

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I started the job I have now in November 1997. From that point up until October 2004 I worked pretty much seven days a week on second shift (3pm to 11pm) from September through about May. June, July and August were six days a week. Between that and having a young family I kind of lost track of football and most everything else.

Having said that. I honestly didn't know that Oklahoma lost the Big 12 Championship and still got to play LSU for the BCS Championship. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Oklahoma OU is my home town tean(I live in Norman Oklahoma)but I
Agree with you!

We play real .375 H&H Mag football here,just sometimes it gets real personalized and football gets secound rate rateings!

We know what real football is about!

Pump your feet(1200 rpm) get horizontal and anything that gets in your way goes down!

Bob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

USC had one loss the same as OU and LSU. USC and LSU won their conferences that year and their one loss came earlier in the season and they climbed back up in the rankings. Their were no undefeted top ranked teams that year.....USC was ranked ahead of LSU unitll the last weak.....USC played in the Pact Ten and OU played in the Big Ten, about even on conference shedule I'd say,too long ago for me to remember the out of conference schedules...To lose the conference Champioship game 35 to 7 and not fall in the polls, Come on you've got to be kidding to thimk that was right........

OU is in the Big XII, not the Big 10 and Pac 10 = Big XII was certainly not the case that year. In 03 OU had one conference loss just like USC and LSU and OU had the best conference record in the Big XII that year even after losing the conf championship game to KSU. Our non-conference games that year were against North Texas State, Alabama, Fresno State, and UCLA.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

OU is in the Big XII, not the Big 10 and Pac 10 = Big XII was certainly not the case that year. In 03 OU had one conference loss just like USC and LSU and OU had the best conference record in the Big XII that year even after losing the conf championship game to KSU. Our non-conference games that year were against North Texas State, Alabama, Fresno State, and UCLA.

Expat
When you lose your conference championship you shouldn't be able to play for a national championship. That makes the conference championship's completely irrelevant, especially if there is a conference championship game (SEC, Big 12 and ACC). The team that wins their conference championship from any conference should go to a better bowl game then the rest of the teams in the conference. No sense in having a conference championship game if it's not going to mean anything. WE NEED A PLAYOFF SYSTEM!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The first step that needs to be taken, is that they either eliminate all the conference championship games, or they make every singe conference out there play one ... God only knows how Notre Dame would be handled, since they are too good to be in a conference ...

anyway, NY Hunter2 is right ... at the point you enter your conf. championship game, all bets are off ... THAT game is what decides who moves on ... it's the closest thing to a playoff that we have right now ... and when the team that loses that game is still considered 'better' than the team that beat them, the system has completely failed ...

the 2003 OU team was a very good team, no doubt ... but the reality of the matter is that LSU should have been playing USC ... There were just too many stupid/weird/strange happenings in the BCS that year ... not that there aren't every year though ...

-WGM-
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
There is a very simple way to deal with Notre Dame. Just don't play them. If nobody plays them, they'll have to join a conference sooner or later.

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Not agreeing or disagreeing, just pointing out... You don't have to win your conference to get a national championship in ncaa basketball, baseball, or softball. Probably not track either but I don't follow it so I'm not sure. One of the things I hate about the current BCS system with rankings is that all that matters is when you lose, not who you lose to. I think thats bs. A loss is a loss, it shouldn't matter if its in September or November. Don't remember who the losses were to that year but I'm betting the team that beat OU was a hell of a lot better than the one that beat USC. I do think there should be a rule stating you have to win your conference (in all sports) but there isn't one so I'm not going to hold that against OU.

Fact is, anytime you have more than 2 teams with the same record theres going to be arguments.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WGM
The first step that needs to be taken, is that they either eliminate all the conference championship games, or they make every singe conference out there play one ... God only knows how Notre Dame would be handled, since they are too good to be in a conference ...

anyway, NY Hunter2 is right ... at the point you enter your conf. championship game, all bets are off ... THAT game is what decides who moves on ... it's the closest thing to a playoff that we have right now ... and when the team that loses that game is still considered 'better' than the team that beat them, the system has completely failed ...

the 2003 OU team was a very good team, no doubt ... but the reality of the matter is that LSU should have been playing USC ... There were just too many stupid/weird/strange happenings in the BCS that year ... not that there aren't every year though ...

I hear you, but what to do about all the conferences that play no conference championship game? OU had as many if not more conference wins in 03 as USC and the best conference record in the Big XII.

My issue with discussion of the 03 season is OU went to the BCS Championship game based on the established process for deciding who would play in the NC game. I can understand not liking the way it is decided, but that is the BCS' problem. Should OU have forfeited rather than play? As it was, they lost the NC game by 7 points, though I will be the first to admit that they looked like crap that night.

Expat

Last edited by ExpatFromOK; 09/27/07.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Even being a SOONER fan, you should win your conference championship before going on the the NC.

I don't like pre-season rankings. The rankings should start sometime after the season is going.

Im sort of torn on the play-off deal. It would stop arguments and all...but I really like the "every game is huge" part of the college football setup.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by WGM
I don't think Les Miles is any kind of genius, but I also don't think he's an idiot ... He's learning, somewhat quickly, that he needs to yield to his assistants and even his players when they come to him with what they think they should be doing on the field ...

I, like others, have seen Les make some calls that could be costly, but have yet to see him do something that will cost the team a game ... If/when he does do something like that, we can most definitely discuss it ... but until then, I prefer to think that Les and his staff are just doing some weird things when there are no real consequences ... can't see him making some of those calls if/when a game is on the line ...

Also, it should be noted, that I am not oblivious to the fact that LSU is so incredibly stacked with talent, that it does mask some coaching inadequacies ... that kinda scares me and excites me at the same time ...

Like I said, Lester would do something to lose a game this year.
Poor play calling there towards the end, wouldnt you say? uh, I think the game was on the line at the time

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 14,492 guests, and 1,042 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,167
Posts18,542,956
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.