Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Agree 1Minute. I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max. It absolutely kicks butt on photographs. My pics I post to my Instagram page (doublehknives) are all done with my iPhone. As impressive as the lens is, the photo processing is other worldly. I wish Photoshop was that easy.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Godogs57:

Surfed up the knife site. Nice looking work there. Only thing close to that for me is flintknapping. Have put a few pics up here once in a while.

Link to some points

A little easier process as all I have to do is break stuff.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/11/22.

1Minute
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Nice work! I collect artifacts here in SW GA. We have more than a few flintknappers here as well. Two close friends here produce museum quality replications. We have good caramel flint here by the truckload.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Didn't read every word on the thread but these come to mind.

If you haven't already:

Check to see if you need to calibrate/sink/reboot etc. your lenses with the new body. Go to the Canon website, they should have info. Also check for firmware updates related to your body and lenses.

If you haven't started yet, use "focus peaking" (ie. digital manual focus) for all your landscape shots and make sure you are using a high enough aperture/Fstop setting like f11-f16+ to get the best depth of field unless you want short depth of field. This is where focus peaking comes in handy so you can see what you want to focus on and then determine depth of field accordingly.

Once you have all this figured out and you have your camera mounted on the tripod ready for the shot, another trick is to set your shot timer (usually 2 second +- etc.) press the shutter release and don't touch anything until after the shutter releases. The camera will then take the shot off the timer with no vibration from you, and hopefully no wind.

Keep in mind pixel count really isn't as important as you might think with full frame except for enlargements like big poster size and up. Many professional shots with incredible sharpness have been made with camera bodies under 12 mp.

If you still have the MK III do some side by side comparisons with the two bodies of the same subject with the same lens/settings using the focus peaking etc. and see how it goes. If there are still issues then it may be time to contact Canon and see what your options are.

Last edited by SBTCO; 03/16/22.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Well I guess nobody has an opinion. Thanks anyway

Can you post a couple of example shots with EXFIL data? It is sometimes possible that your lenses need MFA with your camera body?

Last edited by duckster; 03/17/22.
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by duckster
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Well I guess nobody has an opinion. Thanks anyway

Can you post a couple of example shots with EXFIL data? It is sometimes possible that your lenses need MFA with your camera body?

I posted before (5D MK iii) and after pics (5DS R) on page one. The lenses I use in both cases are a Canon EF L 24-70 and a 100-400 f 4.5 - 5.6 is II. The good $tuff.

Last edited by Godogs57; 03/17/22.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Godogs57,
I just spent some time with a friend with very good familiarity with the 5D line. He agreed with me that the 5DS R should give you sharper images than your 5D-3 because of the removal of the AA filter. He threw out a bunch of possibilities many of which are covered here or on PM's. Top possibilities;
1) Technique.
2) In camera settings.
3) Front/back focus problem.
4) Defective focus on camera.

He offered to take a look at images out of the camera, so I'll repeat the same offer I made in our PM's. If you send me jpgs or RAW images straight out of the camera, I'll send them over to someone more knowledgeable about 5D's.

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by ChrisF
Godogs57,
I just spent some time with a friend with very good familiarity with the 5D line. He agreed with me that the 5DS R should give you sharper images than your 5D-3 because of the removal of the AA filter. He threw out a bunch of possibilities many of which are covered here or on PM's. Top possibilities;
1) Technique.
2) In camera settings.
3) Front/back focus problem.
4) Defective focus on camera.

He offered to take a look at images out of the camera, so I'll repeat the same offer I made in our PM's. If you send me jpgs or RAW images straight out of the camera, I'll send them over to someone more knowledgeable about 5D's.

Thanks! Been reading up on it and spending even more time checking out my earlier photos that didn’t make the grade. I’d place the primary blame on myself and having to get used to the capabilities of this model. Switching to Av mode showed a huge initial improvement over the P mode. I’ll play with it some more and get with you. It’s a dang good camera…no doubt. Referencing the “is it the Indian or the arrow” argument. It has to be the Indian.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (160user, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 2,498 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,472
Posts18,471,452
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.