Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Went down a whole $ .10 cents here yesterday. 😡

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Raeford
Jorge:
I don't disagree with you and I do have the tiniest bit of education on how those markets work.

I also find it odd that the moment 'oil' rises[futures], gas goes right up along with it[instantly].

Swifty52:
This also 'should' work in reverse[in averages], right?
Was the gas that is in the tank at the station made from the oil that hasn't made it to a refinery yet?
If not, why did it go up?

Locally we had stations going UP near 10% daily 2 weeks back.
This week I have seen where one station has dropped .05. That's it.

The increase rate never mirrors the decrease rate.
Too many Benjamins to be made each way....

Thats the bottom line.
X amount already paid beforehand at low price
Jack up the price based on current market rate as fast as you can

If pre purchased x amount gets you thru increase and into decline in market value
Drop price as slow as possible to max profits.

If buying x amount of futures during price increase
Stretch out decrease in price even longer.

Benjamins.....

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Oil is back over $100 today.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
It's Putin's fault, says our marvelous leader.....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Illegitimi non carborundum

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I was grumbling about that to a local station owner, he got a little irked and read me the riot act. Something like, 'When I see the spot price jump up, I jack pump price to be able to buy the load coming in next week at the higher price. I don't lower pump price until the higher price product I paid for is sold and spot says the next bulk delivery will go down, it's just good business, I can't sell 4 dollar product for 3.50...I have to wait. I wish there was no fluctuation at all, but I'm not in charge'. That shut me up.

I was in the fuel business for over 25 years, and that's exactly the way it works. Fast to rise, slow to come down at the pump. If the average guy knew how thin fuel margins are, they'd think anyone in the retail fuel business is nuts.

FYI....crude oil is up over $7/bbl to $102, UL Gas up 20cts/gallon, Distillates up 37cts per gallon today on futures market. Unfortunately, not a lot of downside for fuel prices for a while.

JG, what's the deal with the price bumps for holidays where lots of people are on the road?

The traders know demand will spike in Summer, holiday's ,etc so they buy/sell accordingly. Same goes when a hurricane gets into/projected to get into the Gulf. They speculate that supply will be disrupted and run the price up.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Raeford
So oil is off of it's high by 10%

Gas[here] is still sitting on it's high.

Funny.....how that DOESN'T work when the #'s are declining instead of climbing.

Just rumbling aloud here.

Local Murphy station has it now for 3.99/gal. Two days ago they had it for 4.29/gal. Pretty good drop.

87 octane.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I was grumbling about that to a local station owner, he got a little irked and read me the riot act. Something like, 'When I see the spot price jump up, I jack pump price to be able to buy the load coming in next week at the higher price. I don't lower pump price until the higher price product I paid for is sold and spot says the next bulk delivery will go down, it's just good business, I can't sell 4 dollar product for 3.50...I have to wait. I wish there was no fluctuation at all, but I'm not in charge'. That shut me up.

I was in the fuel business for over 25 years, and that's exactly the way it works. Fast to rise, slow to come down at the pump. If the average guy knew how thin fuel margins are, they'd think anyone in the retail fuel business is nuts.

FYI....crude oil is up over $7/bbl to $102, UL Gas up 20cts/gallon, Distillates up 37cts per gallon today on futures market. Unfortunately, not a lot of downside for fuel prices for a while.

JG, what's the deal with the price bumps for holidays where lots of people are on the road?

The traders know demand will spike in Summer, holiday's ,etc so they buy/sell accordingly. Same goes when a hurricane gets into/projected to get into the Gulf. They speculate that supply will be disrupted and run the price up.

Always figured it was the speculators, knowing that travel would increase during those times of the year.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Stations don't come down until they sell off the gas they bought at the higher price. And get a new delivery which allows the to pay off the remaining expensive gas by averaging the new price and the old.. Sunce sales of expensive gas tend to be slower the downswing in prices always seems to take longer..

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

The traders know demand will spike in Summer, holiday's ,etc so they buy/sell accordingly.

If I was cynical I'd say this translates to "people on the road are gonna buy it no matter what so we can raise the price."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm sure lots of people look at it like that. Another one is that distillates, aka heating oil/kerosene/diesel fuel always go up in the winter since a huge amount of the population buy heating oil to heat their homes and the traders know that as well.

There will be a point where people won't buy as much of it unless it's a necessity. Not sure what that number is, but we can't be far off. I think airline tickets will rise dramatically as well if they haven't already.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

He wasn't lying.

Folks think you make profit on the margin between inventory bought, and sold.

Not true.

Unless it's your last day in business.

Profit is what is left after you replace inventory, so you can be in business tomorrow.

07-08 when gas was climbing, I delivered to a guy who owns one station
in a little mining town. Moved 8k gallon/wk. One load.

I'd pull in and he'd ask "How bad is it Karl?" "Well John, the numbers on my
bill are bigger than the ones on your sign."

He didn't make enough on the last load to buy the one I was delivering.
It was costing him money out of his wallet to sell gas.

I worked out a deal between my wife (who runs a c-store) and him.
She called him every time prices rose, that way he could at least keep
current and break even.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
We didn't charge the retailer for 10 days, the same terms we had with the supplier at the terminal. That gave him plenty of time to sell the load at the higher price and pay us, and we both made money. We only had 3-4 retailers on a COD basis like you're describing.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I read somewhere that when prices per barrel spike that oil companies raise prices at a lower rate than the futures increase. This creates a squeeze on their profits that they then get back by lowering prices at the pump more slowly than we would like to recoup their profit losses.

I hate to see the slow crawl downward but it made sense. Anyone that can verify?

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We didn't charge the retailer for 10 days, the same terms we had with the supplier at the terminal. That gave him plenty of time to sell the load at the higher price and pay us, and we both made money. We only had 3-4 retailers on a COD basis like you're describing.

Interesting. He paid me on delivery.
We served our stations, only had a couple independent stations
we delt with. A high risk deal, most who we tried to serve ended up
sticking us. One, for well over $100k.

Once they bounce a check,
You are stuck in a catch 22.
Cut them off, they close and you lose.
Let them pay part and keep delivering, hope it works out.
Sometimes, it does.

We paid the suppliers by the next day.
That saved us 1 cent.
To most that sounds like nothing. And it isn't, much.

But you know the math.

8k/load x.01 x 3 loads/day x3 trucks.
$720 per day, free money, just for paying at delivery instead of
waiting a couple days.
Since we moved that daily, once you started the cycle you were
paying the same money everyday anyhow. It was just a matter of
maintaining finances until you were able to get caught up.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 222Sako, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 60 invisible), 2,643 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,293
Posts18,486,934
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.