Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Only public for me these days. Private access in the Eastern Panhandle of WV and nearby VA is very hard to come by. There’s a double plot consisting of over 1300 acres I can get to in 20 minutes, and another of 22,000 in less than an hour. Not prime, but pretty woods good enough for an old fat man to wander around in, and I usually scratch down a deer or two and sometimes a turkey. Gotten kind of lazy in my old age, but have lost nearly 30lbs in the last three months, with more to come, so I’m hoping it will liven me up some. It’ll soon be time to start scouting for turkeys

Outstanding! 30lbs is a great accomplishment. Not easy to do that. Being in the woods certainly clears the mind & focuses the priorities we each have

Actually, it's been easier than I could have imagined. For about half that time, I’ve been unable to user my rower because I’ve strained a knee again (apparently a Spring tradition for me), so it’s all been about what I eat, and some about when. I stay full on the keto stuff, and have given up bread, pasta, chips, ice cream, and beer. Seldom get hungry, and my well-controlled BP is dropping into the 115 over 70ish range.

One thing I’ve learned is that an old man will kill himself trying to lose weight by exercising alone; you gotta change your diet. Woulda done this years ago if I’d known how easy it is.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any of you fellas Public land hunters? I love public land because I can move around to different units if needed. I sorta treat the East like a collection of game units anyhow - smaller country than the West and it’s easy to bounce around every 4-5 days.

I’m sure this is a dumb question - most of us are.

Yes. Only public land for me. Mostly the Moshannon SF in PA

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Up on the Blue Ridge in VA. Got an old Navy buddy that grew up there and we did some hunting on his grandmother's farm which butted right up against public land. Some really big deer there on the public stuff.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Only public for me these days. Private access in the Eastern Panhandle of WV and nearby VA is very hard to come by. There’s a double plot consisting of over 1300 acres I can get to in 20 minutes, and another of 22,000 in less than an hour. Not prime, but pretty woods good enough for an old fat man to wander around in, and I usually scratch down a deer or two and sometimes a turkey. Gotten kind of lazy in my old age, but have lost nearly 30lbs in the last three months, with more to come, so I’m hoping it will liven me up some. It’ll soon be time to start scouting for turkeys

Outstanding! 30lbs is a great accomplishment. Not easy to do that. Being in the woods certainly clears the mind & focuses the priorities we each have

Actually, it's been easier than I could have imagined. For about half that time, I’ve been unable to user my rower because I’ve strained a knee again (apparently a Spring tradition for me), so it’s all been about what I eat, and some about when. I stay full on the keto stuff, and have given up bread, pasta, chips, ice cream, and beer. Seldom get hungry, and my well-controlled BP is dropping into the 115 over 70ish range.

One thing I’ve learned is that an old man will kill himself trying to lose weight by exercising alone; you gotta change your diet. Woulda done this years ago if I’d known how easy it is.

I gotta say - this is good advice that I could apply to myself. Diet is 90% and if I’ve got a vice it’s slow BBQ chicken & whiskey old fashions.

Your BP numbers have got to be giving you a nice smile!

Last edited by PintsofCraft; 03/20/22.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MAC
Up on the Blue Ridge in VA. Got an old Navy buddy that grew up there and we did some hunting on his grandmother's farm which butted right up against public land. Some really big deer there on the public stuff.

Mac, I’ve heard the same thing - doing some research into that area over the next few days. I enjoy dialing in my Fall travels then moving onto gardening season without needed to think much about the Fall hunt stuff until it arrives. Thanks for your post.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by moosemike
Any of you fellas Public land hunters? I love public land because I can move around to different units if needed. I sorta treat the East like a collection of game units anyhow - smaller country than the West and it’s easy to bounce around every 4-5 days.

MM, Are the deer numbers as good as they once were there? Never hunted that region but always had a desire to.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I gotta say - this is good advice that I could apply to myself. Diet is 90% and if I’ve got a vice it’s slow BBQ chicken & whiskey old fashions.

Your BP numbers have got to be giving you a nice smile!

BP was never really bad, just bad enough to show traces of protein in my pee. Still, like smoking and sugar, it makes everything else worse. Hope to get off the little pill, maybe next month🤞🏻

Ditto on those big Blue Ridge deer. I’ve seen some whopper bodies on Skyline Drive, huge does too. My son lived near Front Royal for a while, and killed a boomer on the little plot he lived on; 172 dressed and 12 points. Saw some huge, long-legged does in fields nearby. Public land in that immediate area gets a lot of pressure though, so weekdays are best, or farther West.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Couple of states I'd like to try my luck, are KY for the first couple weeks of archery season to try to get a velvet antlered buck. I'd also like to try Alabama if I could catch some of that January/February rut action.

You've not mentioned, Indiana, but there is quite a bit of public land to in the S/SW part of the state to hunt. Some of the more interesting are some of the old strip mines. Some of these were shallow mined a long time ago, making them a series of steep, low ridges. If one has a small boat, canoe it could really open up some areas around the reservoirs or smaller rivers that flow through public land.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

MM, Are the deer numbers as good as they once were there? Never hunted that region but always had a desire to.

No. They are there but the numbers are thin

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

I’ve heard that from a few folks that still run their hunting camps down there. Traditions in that neck of the woods run very deep it seems.

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I hunt Pa public land a lillte farther east than MM but its the same here numbers are down But we still do well

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Northern Maine

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Deercamp
Man I’ve seen some huge bucks in Georgia on some YouTube videos

Not trying to stir up any trouble, but I look at the Georgia outdoor news quite often and as far as I can see, there are some damn nice deer shot there and not just a few. Also, it appears their fishing is outstanding.
I have never been there to check for myself!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
jackman maine

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I’ve hunted the Big Woods plenty - I track here in the Greens and am looking for something a little different than the norm. I gotta say that The Jackman area is very special.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman

Northern Maine

Lots of land open to the public. Great country if looking for scenery and exercise but not so great if looking for deer.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by eblake
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman

Northern Maine

Lots of land open to the public. Great country if looking for scenery and exercise but not so great if looking for deer.

Agreed.

Though, I've hunted northern Maine for over 40 years and shot enough mature bucks there to keep me coming back. Its the vastness of the big woods that holds the allure for me, not pulling the trigger. I have plenty of other places and opportunities to fill the freezer during the year, both back east and out west.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
For the state of TN, East TN has the best deer hunting.

Lol

Solid advice if trophy pigmy deer are what you seek

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I’ve heard that from a few folks that still run their hunting camps down there. Traditions in that neck of the woods run very deep it seems.

The northern PA hunting Camp scene is all about tradition. Many of them are still hopping mad that Rifle season opens on Saturday instead of Monday

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
…and crossbows!

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 257Bob, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,279 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,276
Posts18,486,677
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.