-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks for that Cowboybart. Let me just pop in to our local library before you make the expense of an international fax call.

My interest in the 6.5 is lower recoil and still retaining my favourite case and action. I finally took it out for a hunt after many years and have rediscovered its merits just from a carrying safety standpoint. In reality, there is nothing wrong with my 303's recoil. It is very comfortable to shoot. I just don't load to max.

As a side comment, someone on this forum mentioned a fella using 303 Savage ammo in his 303 Brit! As shocking as this may sound initially, it probably would work just fine. The case headspaces on the rim and the bullet locates in the chamber throat. I'm just not sure why someone would want to do that!???

Last edited by 303Guy; 10/31/07.

303Guy
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 303Guy
As a side comment, someone on this forum mentioned a fella using 303 Savage ammo in his 303 Brit! As shocking as this may sound initially, it probably would work just fine. The case headspaces on the rim and the bullet locates in the chamber throat. I'm just not sure why someone would want to do that!???

However, the base diameter of the 303 Savage is somewhat smaller than the 303 British.................. frown

Ted

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Maybe this has been said here, didn't read the entire thread, but I think, officially, only the No. 1 rifles were known as SMLEs. I hate to pick nits, but there it is.

The No 4s were very much different, had a heavier barrel, and a stronger action. And a different trigger mechanism in the later models. There were more diferences in a SMLE and a No. 4 than in a 03 Springfield and a 03A3, I believe.

The Pattern 14 was known as the No 3. rifle when GB changed their naming pattern, which wasn't until after 1939 or so, when the No. 4 was introduced. (I think.)

Gibbs converts a lot of Enfields to 45-70. But the 303 is a great round, just expensive on the surplus market.

If you ever pull the bullet from a 303, you'll find it's filled with cordite, stringy powder that looks like small pencil lead and was put into the case before the case was necked. Also, it has a fiber wad between powder and bullet. Cordite, I have read, burns really hot with a low pressure, and hence few cherry original .303 rifles are found. Most will have erosion in the chamber area.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yup, I know ......looks like a lashup, ...the proofing fixture certainly was.

Old Uberti Barrel ( tapered octagon ) breech sleeved for a shoulder, and fitted to a MK4.....

A .45-90 smokeless / jacketed bullet ( Norma Brass) rig, very light and handy.

We really didn't think it would go Shrapnelistic,....but proofing is proofing......No?

I was offered the opportunity to "try" this 7 1/2 lb little monster, and politely declined......

Very effective little "Thumper", .....I'm not all that recoil shy, .....but like my 90s in a 10 lb + kinda' platform.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 11/02/07.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[quote=Yukoner.....However, the base diameter of the 303 Savage is somewhat smaller than the 303 British.................. frown

Ted [/quote]

Yeah ... I know. It's amazing that the case does not split at the base!!! confused (But why would anybody do that in the first place)! shocked

303Guy
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Gene L
The Pattern 14 was known as the No 3. rifle when GB changed their naming pattern, which wasn't until after 1939 or so, when the No. 4 was introduced. (I think.)

Sounds right.

303Guy
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Gene L
....... it's filled with cordite, stringy powder that looks like small pencil lead and was put into the case before the case was necked........

So that's how they got it in! I always wondered.

303Guy
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

Hang on there now ..... Are you saying someone will actually fire that thing from the shoulder? With full loads? shocked

HOLY $#!% ! smile

Mind you, such a heavy slug with a low pressure cartridge would give a strong push more than a sharp kick, so maybe it is managable. I would want to see someone else fire it first to pluck up enough courage. blush It looks great 'though. Actually, it looks really great!

Last edited by 303Guy; 11/03/07.

303Guy
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The Pattern 14 was produced in the US for Great Britain in World War I, until the US entered the war and stopped shipments of .303s, because we (Remington) started making .30-06s as the P-17.

Savage was making No.1 MkIII Enfields, too, in violation of our neutrality. It was the secret shipments of munitions from Savage and Remington on passenger ships which led Germany to sink the Lusitania, after running a full-page ad in the New York papers warning passengers that Undersecretary of the Navy Franklin Roosevelt was conspiring with his counterpart in the Admiralty Office, Winston Churchill, to ship munitions to England.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Pattern 14 was produced in the US for Great Britain in World War I, until the US entered the war and stopped shipments of .303s, because we (Remington) started making .30-06s as the P-17.

The contracts(3) had actualy had finished,Winchester,Remington and a Remington subsidiary ERA (Eddystone).The British were making enough SMLEs by then.They think someone at Remington suggested the conversion of the P-14.Hatcher oversaw it. The 30-06 works better in it anyway.

Savage also made #4s during WWII

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Yes, I have one of each, Savages from both WW1 and WWII.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After the Longbranchs,the Savage #4 is very highly considered by the 303 crowd.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 303Guy
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

Hang on there now ..... Are you saying someone will actually fire that thing from the shoulder? With full loads? shocked

HOLY $#!% ! smile

Mind you, such a heavy slug with a low pressure cartridge would give a strong push more than a sharp kick, so maybe it is managable. I would want to see someone else fire it first to pluck up enough courage. blush It looks great 'though. Actually, it looks really great!

That thing kicks like a Missouri Mule, ....with it's light loads.

I'm thinking it's a bit light for caliber.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Lee24

Savage was making No.1 MkIII Enfields, too, in violation of our neutrality. It was the secret shipments of munitions from Savage and Remington on passenger ships which led Germany to sink the Lusitania, after running a full-page ad in the New York papers warning passengers that Undersecretary of the Navy Franklin Roosevelt was conspiring with his counterpart in the Admiralty Office, Winston Churchill, to ship munitions to England.

ive got a No. 4 Mk1* made by Savage.........

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The Brits had been so disarmed after WWI during the scares of communist insurgency, that when WWII broke out, they were asking American civilians to ship rifles and handguns to them for the Home Guard, sort of like our State Guard units, which were used to guard factories and patrol the coasts (as were our State Militias ).

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[quote=crossfireoops.......
That thing kicks like a Missouri Mule, ....with it's light loads.

I'm thinking it's a bit light for caliber.

GTC [/quote]

It still looks pretty appealing! crazy
One could 'weight' the butt-stock quite a bit? Wouldn't harm the balance I should think?

303Guy
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Looking for a Peep sight for my early 1905 MK 1 BSA SMLE Sporter.
[Linked Image]

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Cowboybart
What can be made from one of these actions??
A friend aquired one and was thinking about a 6.5 Epps. After looking at the numbers he decided against it (same a a 6.5 Sweede- which he has several of).
Any info on a 9.3 Brit or 375 Brit??
In my mind the only cartridges on the action worth a hoot are the .303 Brit, the .375 2-1/2" NE and the .375 JDJ or Ken Waters Express version.

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looking at an old Parker Hale catalog from the 1920s/30s, I see BSA sporters on SMLE actions offered in .303, .375 (I suppose the 2 3/4") and of all things 8x50R Austrian. Wonder who bought those.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
kk alaska, it would be real easy to fit a peep sight to your rifle. Are you wanting a rear mounted type? It would have to be made up of course. If you know of anyone near you who has, or works in, a machine shop - you could give him a design and he could make it for you.

303Guy
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 1,957 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,755
Posts18,495,459
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.