Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Very Seldom do we get a DO-OVER - I bought back my Verney Carron Custom Shop XA Azur 600NE

Hello All,

I like guns with interesting stories .... well here's an interesting story about this gun for sure.

Back in 2015 I bought my very first "BIG BORE" Double rifle. It was a brand new Custom Shop Verney Carron XA Azur in 600 Nitro Express. This was the most expensive gun I ever bought. I had to sell 50+ pieces from my collection to get it.

[Linked Image from ]

Well, soon after buying the VC 600NE, I wanted something BIGGER. So ... I had Aaron Little build me a Custom 700 NE. That was truly an awesome fun project. You may recall I posted about the details of the build here on this Forum.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/12306693

[Linked Image from ]

Over the following years, like in the picture above, I displayed my double rifles at various Gun Shows in my area, and I enjoyed the interest they brought from fellow shooters. There are not very many Big Bore double rifles here in Wisconsin.

However, after I got the 700NE, no one seemed to pay much attention to the VC 600NE ..... so ....... not too long later, I sold the VC 600NE to an interested friend. .....but, I immediately had massive seller's remorse. .... Sadly, I missed not having a 600NE so much, that a couple years later I had Aaron Little build me another Custom Double Rifle in 600NE caliber. It was a Side-Lock Bernardelli Custom. I posted about its build here also.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...fle-the-long-wait-is-over-l#Post12302289

[Linked Image from ]

Although the Bernardelli Custom was a very nice Double, I always regretted selling the Verney Carron. The Bernardelli just wasn't in the same class as the VC. It didn't have all the whistles and bells, and no where near the fine engraving of the Verney Carron - I really liked the VC's Bank-Note engraving of the Rhino. It was like a detailed work of art and it was even signed by the Engraver.

As many of you may have seen, I sold a lot of iron last Fall, including the Bernardelli 600NE, to purchase my hunting land. So, once again I was without a 600NE ... I had lots of brass, and ammo, and bullets sitting on the shelf, always reminding me of a missing friend from years before. .... I really missed not having a 600NE in my collection. . ... Hard to explain, but I was really sad.

Surprisingly, 4 months after selling the Bernardelli 600NE .... .. and very fortunate for me, ... the friend that bought my VC 600NE back in 2017, bought it with the agreement that I could have the "first right of refusal" if he ever decided to sell it. Well, that happened this past weekend. He gave me first right of refusal, and I didn't refuse it. I bought back my Verney Carron 600NE .... for the exact same price I sold it to him for 5 years ago. As I said in my Heading ... "Seldom in life do we get a DO-OVER".

[Linked Image from ]

You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Very nice!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
They are truly beautiful pieces, but....what do you do with them?

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Westman

I was wondering the same thing, but I understand that a person likes what he likes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Be adequate for pigs I suppose, if they invaded your property.

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by hanco

I was wondering the same thing, but I understand that a person likes what he likes.

Well, them big Texas 'Dillers would be one use. Up where Buckstix lives, probably too cold for "Dillers.

Well, I guess he still has the 700 NE, if the 600 is a bit light.

I've shot a 500 NE, didn't find it too intimidating. But, I hear those bigger versions are a bit much. The 500 was enough for me.

DF

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Just looking at the 700 makes me shake and hurt all over - I can't imagine pulling the trigger on one of those

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I understand having a nice rifle , have several nicely built Shiloh Sharps. Nice to look at and nice to hold but if I didn't shoot them they would be sold. Your links don't work...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Uff Da

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Wow…as a craftsman myself, I am just so impressed with that kind of meticulous attention to detail and skill.
I always wonder how many man hours it takes to create a true work of art like that.
I have some nice hunting rifles, but just good well built factory rifles. No customs or really expensive rifles. Every time I get a chance to hold a nice custom, I am in awe of that kind of talent.

Congrats, beautiful creation!

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Beautiful Buffalo rifle, sending a 900gr Woodleigh into a cape buffalo at 15 yards would be a hell of a rush! glad you got that rifle back.

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, congratulations! We rarely get “ do overs” in our lifetime.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Well done, Buck! I love my VC, albeit mine isn't nearly as nice as yours and in a "little" 450NE 3 1/4" smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by jorgeI; 03/18/22.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I wonder how long just to do the RINO?

Beautiful guns but they really need some elephant blood..

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello to all,
Thanks for the reply.

Hello Westman,
Thanks for the reply.

I'm the man in charge in keeping the elephant population under control here in Wisconsin, ...... and I must say I've been doing a pretty good job of it. smile

You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Originally Posted by buckstix
Hello to all,
Thanks for the reply.

Hello Westman,
Thanks for the reply.

I'm the man in charge in keeping the elephant population under control here in Wisconsin, ...... and I must say I've been doing a pretty good job of it. smile

I don’t care who you are that’s funny

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Two amazing rifles. That rhino is something else. 😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

Didn't ya ever see Tremors?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
ELKHUNTERNM, CALLING ELKHUNTERNM!!!

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That’s an incredibly beautiful rifle. I’d love to shoot something like that once….just once.😃

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1minute, 1234, 007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,105 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,778
Posts18,495,852
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.