Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Anyone have any first hand experience with the Sightron 3-16X42 FFP Mil reticle?

Sightron

I am interested but I can't find any pictures anywhere of what one looks like looking through the scope. I have read several reviews on Sightron's site about the reticle being thin and easy to lose on the SFP MOA reticle.

Assuming that the FFP reticle is even thinner on lower powers, I would like to see what it looks like and how visible it is in actual hunting environments.

Also, does anyone own one and do you like it?

I appreciate any assistance!

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I just picked up a Sightron SFP with the Duplex reticle from Cameraland on sale.I could have had one of these for the same money ,but was leery of the the FFP reticle.They have great glass.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Leery? why? Seems like a lot of scope for just over $400.00 .

Last edited by sidepass; 02/01/22.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
FFP is fantastic. I don't get it.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
How do these compair to the swfa 3-15 and the Athlon Midas tac and Athlon Helos BTR GEN2 2-12x42

Last edited by Coopsdaddy; 02/02/22.

NE Oklahoma
Love all things outside and enjoy cooking.Married with 3 kids
IC B2

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Coopsdaddy
How do these compair to the swfa 3-15 and the Athlon Midas tac and Athlon Helos BTR GEN2 2-12x42

I would love to know this as well.

Especially the Athlon Helos comparison.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The reticle is super thin,even on 16.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I should have the Athlon Helos in hand next Tuesday, and have had the A-Tac for a few weeks. Hopefully shoot ‘em both next weekend. Initial impressions of the S-Tac are good. The illumination will definitely help on the lower powers.

Mike
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Benben
I should have the Athlon Helos in hand next Tuesday, and have had the A-Tac for a few weeks. Hopefully shoot ‘em both next weekend. Initial impressions of the S-Tac are good. The illumination will definitely help on the lower powers.

How tight is the eyebox? Particularly at higher power? I have read that the FOV is pretty narrow and the eyebox can be tight. But what is tight to some might be fine to me. My only point of reference is Leupold 2-7x33 and 3x9x33 EFR.

How does the reticle do at lower power? Particularly against a mottled background like woods or brush? Is it hard to find?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Crowhunter I think you are asking the right questions. Exit pupil nearing 16 power is going to be really small . Not a user of huge objective scopes but for 16 power I gotta think a 50mm objective a more appropriate minimum.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Just pulled the trigger on the illuminated FFP. I'll report back when I get to use it some.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Huntz
The reticle is super thin,even on 16.

And that can be a huge problem when you turn it down. How's the reticle when you are on 3x, 5x, 9x? That's the downfall of having a FFP on a hunting rifle. Some guys may like that, but I don't.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Curious as well

NE Oklahoma
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The skinny-a$$ reticle in fading light can be a pretty huge problem when you're trying to kill stuff. I'll report back.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'll put some rounds through it tomorrow, but initial impression on this 3-16 FFP is that glass is as good or better than my LRTS and that the heavier part of the reticle is slightly darker/thicker/easier to see than my LRTS (which isn't a huge accomplishment) and the light gathering is decent. There's a zero stop on the elevation but the windage knob is probably too easy to turn. Clicks are positive. Reticle illum is bright.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Followup: this thing tracks perfectly and overall feel of turrets, focus, power selector, illum, glass, is very good. Clicks match the reticle, turrets track in line with the reticle, the thick bars of the reticle are heavy enough to see at low power at dusk with the illum off.

At low powers, the reticle is much easier to see than my unlit LRHS, to my eye the glass is clearer than either my LRHS or any of my SS 3-9's. Haven't used the similarly priced Athlon but this seems to be another reliable sub-$1K scope. Sub-$500 at current prices. Will report more after I've beat on it some.

Overall I substantially prefer it over the LRHS in terms of glass clarity and the reticle. Only thing I like better about the LRHS (or SS 3-9) is that the windage knob is harder to bump on those scopes (impossible on the LRHS).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TX35W
Followup: this thing tracks perfectly and overall feel of turrets, focus, power selector, illum, glass, is very good. Clicks match the reticle, turrets track in line with the reticle, the thick bars of the reticle are heavy enough to see at low power at dusk with the illum off.

At low powers, the reticle is much easier to see than my unlit LRHS, to my eye the glass is clearer than either my LRHS or any of my SS 3-9's. Haven't used the similarly priced Athlon but this seems to be another reliable sub-$1K scope. Sub-$500 at current prices. Will report more after I've beat on it some.

Overall I substantially prefer it over the LRHS in terms of glass clarity and the reticle. Only thing I like better about the LRHS (or SS 3-9) is that the windage knob is harder to bump on those scopes (impossible on the LRHS).

That's encouraging to hear.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Interested in trying one of these,i like the donut reticle on the btr for hunting.

NE Oklahoma
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by TX35W

That's encouraging to hear.

When stating that the reticle is "much easier to see on low powers than an unlit LRHS", is the the reticle on the Sightron lit when comparing the two?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

When stating that the reticle is "much easier to see on low powers than an unlit LRHS", is the the reticle on the Sightron lit when comparing the two?

This Sightron reticle, unlit, is much easier for me to see in dim light than the LRHS reticle, unlit. The skinny part of the crosshairs isn't all that much thicker (if at all) vs the LRHS, but the heavy bars are solid instead of partially solid, like on the LRHS.

Smart folks bought the LRHS with illumination. I didn't.

I'm going to use this for real for a while and report back.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

446 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 163bc, 39 invisible), 2,118 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,541
Posts18,531,292
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.