Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had ONX for a couple years. Liked it, but I have switched to basemap and I like it better for what I use it for. I use mine for hunting, but more for trail riding in the SxS.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Base Map is pretty popular with the locals here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've used it for 4 or 5 years. It's not as pin point accurate as my Garmin Montana but it's close enough 99% of the time. Unless you need super accuracy, like for geocaching, it will work fine. The accuracy depends on the unit, not the program. A dedicated gps, like a Garmin, will be more accurate than a phone's gps. It will eat a battery if you have it running all the time. Downloading maps and running on airplane is a battery saver. Most of our elk hunting areas have no cell service, so mine spends a lot of time on airplane.

Downloading maps can be an issue with a phone with small storage, like a 32gb phone or a 64gb phone if you have a lot of apps or photos stored. A 10mile map will use about 140mb. If you're short on phone storage, that can get to be an issue if you need a lot of maps. You can't put them on an SD card. They will only save in the main memory. If you have storage problems, here's something you can do if you have an old smart phone that works but you aren't using it. Even if a phone isn't connected to any phone service, the internet will still work on WIFI. Set it up at home on WIFI and download all the maps you need. Then put it on airplane and go hunting. It can be used as a gps or as backup if you run out of battery on your main phone.

It costs about $30/state/yr. I use mine in several states so I pay the $99/yr and get the entire US. It's seamless between states so you don't have to open and close states as you cross borders.

Here's site that helps explain how the GPS in your phone works. If you have cell service, it will be using AGPS which is faster and saves battery. If you're out of cell range, it'll be using regular GPS. HOW GPS WORKS

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They aren’t very accurate compared to a survey, many yards off

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
RC that's a great idea about using the old phone for maps! Also, with the $99 Elite membership, there are several groups out there that have promo codes that I think can get you up to 20% off that membership fee.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
They aren’t very accurate compared to a survey, many yards off
My Garmin Montana is accurate down to about 3'. My phone with OnX can be 20 or more feet off. That's plenty close enough for anything I do but it certainly isn't close enough for surveying.
I've had a tracking issue with my phone. I don't know if it's the phone or the software. The tracking is recorded on the program but it doesn't always show up on the screen. Then it might suddenly appear. It'll show me where I am, but the tracking line is missing. It comes and goes. OnX hasn't been able to resolve it. I'm getting a new phone (should be here later today). We'll see if the problem's still there.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not tech at all but love the On X app.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ackleydave
Seen them recommended before but what concerns me is cell service and battery life of my phone more so than anything. It will be nice to hear some reviews on it from folks who have used it in a lot of different situations. Dave

Get on their website and learn how to use it.
1) Run it in airplane mode to save battery life. I keep a battery pack to recharge the phone on extended hunts.
2) You can download map areas and don't need cell service to use them offline.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SturgeonGeneral
I own some hunting land in an area broken into 10 and 5 acre parcels. Most of it with no fences or visible property lines. It can be a bit of a mess. Instead of paying for a bunch of expensive survey work, the landowners all agreed to use OnX to set the property lines. There can be a few feet of variance sometimes, but for the most part, it has been a great way to decide who owns what in a practical way. I know it wouldn't stand a legal challenge, but it's a great rule of thumb.

If you are looking at real estate online, it's also a nice tool to map property lines.

SG, that is a practical solution until someone, probably a new owner, builds a fence or a cabin in the wrong spot...

Land surveys are cheap in the long run.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When my 15 year old GPS started malfunctioning, it made more sense for me to buy onX for a subscription of $100 per year than spend $500+ on a new device. I download maps and use my phone in airplane mode. The only negative is that it does not give a bearing to a destination, only a general direction and distance. It means that you have to watch the phone to go somewhere in a straight line rather than grabbing a bearing and distance and using a compass. But, I will renew when my first year is up.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

267 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 160user, 257 roberts, 10Glocks, 2UP, 31 invisible), 1,711 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,296
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.