Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm considering an anorak style jacket for hunting. I don't want it overly insulated, want it to function as a windproof 'shell' but it needs to be quiet. Camo is not required, some kind of drab color works, OD is preferred. A small amount of insulation is desired (40-60 gr). A hood is a must.

I've seen a few interesting military anorak jackets online but hesitate because my experience with military gear is that most seem to be cut for someone with a completely different physique than me - I tend to swim in them, especially at the waist. Snowboarders have a bunch of anorak jackets which is cool if you like multicolor with rainbow patterns prevalent......

Anyone have any favorites?

Thanks.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I haven't used anoraks in quite awhile, but there are a lot of them out there, try a searches for "wool anorak" or "bushcraft anorak" and you should find a bunch.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've seen the Bushcraft. Know anything about them?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Sounds like you want one of the newer hoodies made from quiet materials.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yep - with a bit of substance to it. I've looked at Sitka, Kuiu, First Lite and haven't landed on nirvana yet.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Heard great things about Swazi from NZ - don’t have any personal experience with them but the guys at Kifaru do

https://swazi.co.nz/

https://swazi.co.nz/products/rkav?variant=40107496341689

For a shell anorak - I ski with this but it’s too loud for hunting imo

https://www.dopesnow.com/

Last edited by PintsofCraft; 03/24/22.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The Swazi look really interesting. I'll check them out. Thanks!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Take a look at asbellwool. com.
G. Fred Asbell used to build Bighorn Custom Bows years ago, but now makes wool pullovers and other jackets and accessories.
I haven't bought any yet, but maybe soon.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Look for one of these Helikon-Tex Men's Woodsman Anorak Jacket I have worn anoraks for over 40 years and when I needed to replace my last ripstop nylon that I had bought years ago I found the Hellion. It was available on amazon and that is where I bought mine.

A nice bit of kit!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Luke at theoutdoorgearreview has done youtube review videos on the Pilgrim and Woodsman Anoraks from Helikon-Tex. He gave positive grades to both. I tend to get too hot in Anorak pull-overs, so armpit vents are a must have for me.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Asbell wool is nice. You can usually pick the weight of wool you want it in. I wouldnt classify it as windproof though.

https://asbellwool.com/products/anorak-olive-drab

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Been wearing a zippered Asbell wool jacket for years. Love it. The jacket I wear is blanket weight which I believe is the heaviest. It’ll cut the wind decently but still breathable and great for layering. They are very simple made and are great value. The other company you should be looking at is Boreal Mountain Anoraks. They have canvas and wool anoraks but are a bit pricier.

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I kayak in an anorak, but they are too hot and more difficult to vent well or take off for my hunting preference. My all time favorite knock around town or camp was a canvas anorak from I think it was Eddie Bauer. My sister LOVED it even though it was way too big for her and I finally gave it to her.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JeffyD
Take a look at asbellwool. com.
G. Fred Asbell used to build Bighorn Custom Bows years ago, but now makes wool pullovers and other jackets and accessories.
I haven't bought any yet, but maybe soon.

Wow G. Fred. When I was learning to shoot instinctive back in the late 80's, early 90's I bought his books. I hadn't thought about him for years.

I'll have a look.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Okanagan
I kayak in an anorak, but they are too hot and more difficult to vent well or take off for my hunting preference. My all time favorite knock around town or camp was a canvas anorak from I think it was Eddie Bauer. My sister LOVED it even though it was way too big for her and I finally gave it to her.

Yeah - I am concerned with overheating on one - which makes picking one that isn't too warm a must. I've worn anorak style jackets 20+ years ago and really like their simplicity, kangaroo pocket, and simply the feel of a good anorak jacket.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have an older Cabelas polar fleece one with Dry-Plus lining. I found it to warm to use hiking into places and worked best in the boat. It is in pretty good condition and is marked XL- Reg I thint it runs a little small if you wear much under it. It is waist length and it is your for the price of shipping. Picture if your interested PM me with a phone number and I'll text you a pic

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by bwinters
I'm considering an anorak style jacket for hunting. Anyone have any favorites? Thanks.

This is the anorak I recommend to you https://www.swanndri.co.nz/mens/mens-reidston-wool-annorak-olive-black-check.html, you will like it I think. Shipping from NZ to the US is relatively affordable.

In NZ and AUS these bush shirt and anorak style garments are rather popular. I have had the Swazi anorak, and found it too tight for my preferences. The SwanDri is a tad shorter and more to my liking.

Intentionally left blank.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hi Erich- thanks for the offer but I'd swim in an XL even cut small. I'm on the boundary between a Med and Large in most "normal clothes.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I like the jackets posted here. I've been looking at all of them. I haven't decided on one yet. I'll likely do R&D - meaning buy 2-3 compare and send back what I don't like.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (222Sako, 219 Wasp, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,264 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,276
Posts18,486,709
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.