Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Starsplitter
Hello! Nice images! Great to meet a fellow Astrophotographer on here. It is a huge passion of mine for many years and a lot of my images have been published in telescope magazines and social media. Please feel free to check out my website " Blue Ridge Observatory" Here is my web address Blue Ridge Observatory [/url]https://www.blueridge-observatory.com I love deep space astrophotography, asteroid & Super Nova hunting, and Spectroscopy. Clear Skies!
Dave

Holy cow, Dave! Your photos are fantastic and a very cool website as well. I'll be showing it to my 12 year old grandson with the NASA t-shirt, it's right up his alley.

Thanks for sharing.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dave moved in a few ridge tops over from me a not many years ago to build his retirement observatory. I met him through our local Ham radio club. I'm on a narrow ridge top and spent a bunch of money on an antenna system. When we work the same frequencies his more moderate antenna system pulls in signals I don't even hear and he gets much louder signal reports from the distant stations we both work together.

It really is about location location location. IIRC this part of the NC Mountains is rated one of the best dark sky areas on the East coast. It is not unusual to be able to see the Milky Way from horizon to horizon on moonless nights.

Please don't feed the trolls!
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Great stuff, thanks for sharing!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Very interesting!

Had a friend from England who was into that. He bought a tract in an astro-subdivision in NM. There were no other houses or towns close, so the light pollution was very low, and the altitude was optimal.

He put in an observatory he could run remotely from wherever he was. Hate to think of what he spent on that setup... wink

He enjoyed the hell out of it though, and got photos like what you posted. smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is fascinating. I will be sharing with the grandkids, they are information sponges and these type sources are far better than some of their hoodlum friends inputs. Thanks Kamo and Dave!

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Solid.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Pretty Cool, Leighton! There's some folks that get into that stuff here in the West Texas desert.......sky for miles and miles. This city is a Dark Skies Compliant city as well......

Frog---OUT!

Last edited by frogman43; 03/28/22.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SamOlson
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

To me this looks like the grim reaper on his way.

(actually semi frightening)

I didn’t see that until you mentioned it. Now I can’t unsee it. Creepy +p

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Love this pics.

Bought my daughter a cheap telescope when she was little. Was really cool just even looking at the moon through it.

MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Dude, I was looking at the pics on the desktop screen and about crapped my pants....lol

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kamo_gari

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I get the planetary drive and all that to counter the earth’s rotation when capturing images but what I find surprising is how small his lens is yet he still gathers enough light to form those impressive images.

By way of contrast, check out the lenses used by this crew of birders at Port Aransas TX during peak Spring migration (late April).

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Note, these people aren’t looking at some bird hundreds of yards away, they are focused on a freshwater drip from a garden hose at the bases of that row of bushes not 20’ way crazy

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One of the greatest perks about living out here in the “sticks” is there’s very little light pollution.
My Daughter in Law grew up in a town in Michigan. The first time she visited she was absolutely amazed at the number of stars and things visible here.
Ben’s got some kind of big monstrous telescope that you program in the local coordinates and it finds whatever you want to study. Pretty neat, although I’m not a big fan of technology, I was sorta fascinated.
On top of Sidling Hill there’s an open field that’s sometimes used as a heliport.
Be a great place to set that thing up some night when the humidity is pretty low.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Very cool stuff that is, very impressive!

Ask your buddy if he could peer inside my Ex’s skull and find out what’s wrong. It’s a matter of public safety.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Kami gari: It make me feel small when I see pictures of vast and distant galaxies!
I do some "star gazing" myself - with an astronomical type telescope.
I enjoy the sights in our solar system a lot. One night I saw 6 of Jupiters many moons and have seen the rings of Saturn many times.
And simply gazing at the countless craters on the moon never tires me.
Hold into the stars
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Starsplitter
Hello! Nice images! Great to meet a fellow Astrophotographer on here. It is a huge passion of mine for many years and a lot of my images have been published in telescope magazines and social media. Please feel free to check out my website " Blue Ridge Observatory" Here is my web address Blue Ridge Observatory [/url]https://www.blueridge-observatory.com I love deep space astrophotography, asteroid & Super Nova hunting, and Spectroscopy. Clear Skies!
Dave

Very nice! Can't imagine the time a money you have invested.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
KG, I'll bet you have never met a stranger.

Good post!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We had a visitor a few years ago who had an app on his phone that charted what the different constellations were when pointed in their general direction. That was impressive.

Please don't feed the trolls!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks for posting...great photos!

I would really like to see a better photo of his telescope. I have several friends that are way into this hobby. Guess I need to pick their brains a bit.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
It always amazes me that in Colorado at 10,000’ you can see so many more stars than here at sea level, even in a fairly remote area.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very cool, thanks for sharing.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (06hunter59, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 60 invisible), 3,069 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,674
Posts18,534,209
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.