Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
H
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
H
Unless I drive a minimum of 34 miles round trip DG is all we have. It's right up the road and employs quite a few of the locals. Good deal for our little corner of the world. They didn't put anybody out of business because we didn't have anything.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Around here I see Dollar General, Family Dollar and Dollar Tree. There must be some rule in place where if one opens up then at least one of the other two must open up within a quarter mile.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
All over middle GA. They do serve rural areas well, but also seem to be over represented in the cities.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Originally Posted by joken2

All the local mom & pop owned/operated grocery stores closed a good while before Dollar General and long before Family Dollar built here. The only one that closed after DG located here was actually a regional chain owned store and operated by hired help. Their prices simply kept getting higher and higher to the point locals started buying much of their daily incidental needs at DG and did serious grocery shopping at big national chain grocery stores in larger nearby towns.

Places they are putting the DG’s around here never had a nana n’ pop store.

Unless it was 50 years ago....

Whatever triggers it - road traffic volume, ppl per square mile or a dart thrown at a map. Works.

Not sure I’ve seen a former DG. Only an empty building cause the moved to build a larger location.

DG built a new, real nice, big, well organized store with a big paved parking lot about 8 miles from me but the closest to any kind of group human settlement is a couple of little rural 'crossroad' communities 3 - 4 miles away from it. It is located near a interstate exit / on ramps, though, so maybe that may influence their location choice.

Some DG stores are stocking basic fresh fruit and vegetables now, too.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by mathman
Around here I see Dollar General, Family Dollar and Dollar Tree. There must be some rule in place where if one opens up then at least one of the other two must open up within a quarter mile.

Dollar Tree bought out Family Dollar a few years back so both are under the same ownership now. DT closed some FD stores, opened some new ones and made others combo DT / FD stores.

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

Beside those we also have something called Mighty Dollar here. It's basically a lower class Dollar Tree. If you can imagine that.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Ain’t going in a Famibly Dolla.

They gots the rats.....

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by auk1124

Beside those we also have something called Mighty Dollar here. It's basically a lower class Dollar Tree. If you can imagine that.

still got the $1 ribeyes that slummy loves?

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Dollar Tree is 1.25 now, thanks Joe. They still have what they claim is beef and seafood in their coolers, but I've never been brave enough to try any.

One day when I want to laugh death in the face, I will try their seafood burritos.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Originally Posted by auk1124

still got the $1 ribeyes that slummy loves?

Hell no! They haven’t had those in a while now. They made a damn good sandwich.

Last edited by gregintenn; 03/27/22.
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Just off the top of my head, there are five DG stores within 10 miles of me, and everytime I take a ride in the country roads around here, they are putting in a new one. That doesn't take into account Dollar Tree and Family Dollar stores, either, just the DGs.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
The Dollar Tree and Family Dollar stores are all in town. You’ll find a Dollar General out in the middle of nowhere.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by slumlord
I had to take an emergent dump once while at Dollar General.

"Emergent"? As in the turdles head was sticking out? grin

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
Originally Posted by slumlord
I had to take an emergent dump once while at Dollar General.

"Emergent"? As in the turdles head was sticking out? grin

#peekaboo

Dave

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
There is a dollar general about ten miles from here but is usually closed because they can't find anyone to work there

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Walmart destroyed small town American. Dollar General has/will destroy every mom and pop rural convenience store in America. Amazon will ship the coffin.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Stammster
Walmart destroyed small town American. Dollar General has/will destroy every mom and pop rural convenience store in America. Amazon will ship the coffin.

That’s said over and over.

In these parts they are putting DG’s “out in the woods”.

Rural areas that don’t have any stores.

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know about anywhere else, but locally DG has had problems staffing the stores with enough workers to keep them open. One particular store was closed as much as it was open for a long period of time because no one showed up for work.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Odds are in the favor of the job seekers today.
Lot's of job openings with few unemployed.

Many businesses are suffering the same, no one is applying to fill the needed slots.
Numerous fast food restaurants, especially the new ones just opening can only get enough help to operate their drive-throughs.

One thing they all have in common is low wage and low allowable hours to avoid medical insurance mandates.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Dollar General is becoming a serious competitor to Walmart in basic daily grocery, household, personal hygiene needs, over the counter meds and even beer now, too, in both store brand and name brand products.

For example, the Dollar General Market store in a nearby town sells store brand DG milk for $2.15 a gallon, beating the local Super Walmart's store brand milk price by enough to cause many people shop there instead of Walmart. DG runs sales on at least one name brand soda -- Coke, Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Dr. Pepper, Sprite, etc. -- three 12 packs for between anywhere from $9 to $12. Plus -- spend $25 or more (pre state sales tax) total on Saturday at DG -- $5.00 off total at check out.

I mean who in their right mind want's to deal with Walmart crowds, searching all over the store trying to find where they moved what you are looking for, unmanned checkout lanes, hunting a parking spot, when all they want is a few ordinary everyday needs or wants when they can whip into a nearby DG and be in and out with minimal hassle and back on the road in just a few minutes?

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (16penny, 10gaugeman, 17Hunter, 163bc, 1234, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,145 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,824
Posts18,496,551
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.