Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Late to the conversation, but have rarely found any exterior "gunk" on bullets--or brass--that doesn't respond to acetone. Have rarely resorted to gasoline except instances where, say, the bolt in a really old rifle needs an entire soaking just to get apart.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Is packing material common in bulk bullet boxes? I don't recall seeing anything like that in smaller quantity boxes.

This era Speers had a sheet of foam about 3/8” thick that was on top of the bullets, to stop rattling I guess? All 4 of the boxes I had the foam had melted to some of the bullets, looked exactly like Bobby’s pics above.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I’d have tried boiling some before getting right into the toxic, flammable carcinogenic schitt.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Kid. Barnes has foam in their boxes too. My experience with foam breaking down has been when it basically crumbles to dust. I'll need to keep an eye on it if the bullets are around long enough.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Don't know why your bothering with all this. That's a factory coating for bore lubricity. Package disulfide.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Looking MUCH better...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by TheKid
Is packing material common in bulk bullet boxes? I don't recall seeing anything like that in smaller quantity boxes.

This era Speers had a sheet of foam about 3/8” thick that was on top of the bullets, to stop rattling I guess? All 4 of the boxes I had the foam had melted to some of the bullets, looked exactly like Bobby’s pics above.

I have the same deal with some Speers as well. Thanks for the heads up on cleaning them.

Semper Fi
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Late to the conversation, but have rarely found any exterior "gunk" on bullets--or brass--that doesn't respond to acetone. Have rarely resorted to gasoline except instances where, say, the bolt in a really old rifle needs an entire soaking just to get apart.

"Gunk" = moly? smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
After giving them another 8 hour whirl in the tumbler, they now look brand-new.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Did the junk come out of the hp's?...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

I didn't notice any of the gunk remaining in the hollow points. What's in there seems to be tumbling media.

I figured that might happen. So we're going to take a heavy sewing needle and try and break up the media and get it out of there. Will not be a fun task LOL...

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I don't know if this has been mentioned but I would call Speer, send a photo and see what response they give. I suspect they don't want this in the public domain and will move to take care of you.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Yeah, it was open cell poly_ _ _? foam.

I had a sealed box of 45 ACP with the 200 gr. flying ashtrays I'd been saving for hard times, I guess. I opened them, what a mess.

One long germ storage solution I plan to avoid.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

Well, I was wrong in my reply above. I had looked at a couple, and all I could see was the tumbling media. But today, I took a needle and tried getting the media out of the hollow cavities and also found there was the gunk caked in. Three of the five bullets I messed with today had it.

It does not seem to want to come out easily, either.

Thought I had won this battle with the mess but guess it's not over yet LOL...

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I don't know if this has been mentioned but I would call Speer, send a photo and see what response they give. I suspect they don't want this in the public domain and will move to take care of you.

After what I found today (gunk inside of the hollow points), I think I may contact them. Thanks...

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by BobbyTomek
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

After what I found today (gunk inside of the hollow points), I think I may contact them. Thanks...

I’m might try soaking in high test wood alcohol overnight. It’s 90 something percent alcohol and tends to cut gunk like you describe without the danger of gasoline.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You might want to try Bar Keeper's Friend. I know it does an excellent job of removing moly coating from bullets. Heck, it could be worth a shot.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Speer returned my called pretty quickly this afternoon. Had no solution to the problem but said "just shoot them; it won't affect anything."

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
They are right

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by TheKid

I think this is it.

I order Speer bullets both in bulk and in 100 count boxes. All come with this black foam. I don't know why it broke down, but the box got contaminated. Something might have been spilled on the foam at the factory, or, since you received them from someone else, perhaps the box got contaminated there. If the boxes came like that from the factory, I hope they isolated the problem!

I just went through my boxes and pulled all the foam just in case.

This is the foam that comes in the 100 count boxes. Speer 168 gr Target Match I believe this is current production.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

354 members (16gage, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12savage, 1936M71, 51 invisible), 2,059 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,859
Posts18,497,148
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.