-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't RV, but I do some towing from time to time. Had a 36' 4 horse slant load with living quarters. My '01 Dodge 3500 w/Cummins snatched it down the road like a champ!
BTW! Old Blue turned 22 in Jan and rolled over 400K miles and STILL gets 18mpg!
No major problems. Biggest pain was rear seal went out at about 350K.
Replace all seals: $5500 + seals
Seals cost $48.95
Damn sight cheaper than a new truck!

Youngest has a '17 Dodge 1500 w/ECOdiesel. Not much for pulling but absolutely runs like a top!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We just got home from our spring desert trip, 8 days boondocked to pedal and hike around. We drag a 24' Jayco BH model that the 4, sometimes 5, of us can sleep in and have a restroom.

We do 3 weeklong trips a year lately, with a bunch of long weekend trips. The kids are now teens and sometimes they ditch us for school or extra curricular activities.

We talked this week about downsizing a bit, would be nice for getting into the rough places we like to camp. Also just don't need bunks once the kids ditch us for good.

Towing with an F-250 cclb with the 6.2 gasser, plenty of power and brakes for the 6,000lb trailer fully loaded.

The drives and camps with our kids are the best memories, life is short.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Dodge will pull anything, tractor and gooseneck trailer, 100 MPH, no problem

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
We spent January and February with our cabover in Baja, Mexico this year. Our truck is a Bulletproofed 2004 Ford 6.0 SRW, 135,000 trouble free miles and yes I know we’ve been lucky with our 6.0, gotta believe the bulletproofing has something to do with that.

After our Great Baja experience we won’t be wasting our time in Arizona again.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Long live the beast !
12.7L Detroit Diesel, series 60 !!
42 foot Momentum 376th.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BeanMan
We spent January and February with our cabover in Baja, Mexico this year. Our truck is a Bulletproofed 2004 Ford 6.0 SRW, 135,000 trouble free miles and yes I know we’ve been lucky with our 6.0, gotta believe the bulletproofing has something to do with that.

You spent 2 months down on the Baja Peninsula event free?

I spent a couple months down there once and had a good time but damn. We found ourselves in a couple of sketchy situations.

Where'd you stay?
Where'd you go?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Our truck is a Bulletproofed 2004 Ford 6.0

Had ours done right at 200,000 when we purchased a 26 ft bumper pull Winnebago. Damn near eliminated shifting gears. Hope it doesn't die, as I'd hate to write a check for a new one now. Still like my old manual tranny too.

The wall tent is for cooking and winter-time socializing around the wood stove. It's amazing how many chairs and people the tent can hold when the temps go sub-zero.

Cookie's favorite camp for her November mule deer sessions.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/29/22.

1Minute
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by splattermatic
Long live the beast !
12.7L Detroit Diesel, series 60 !!
42 foot Momentum 376th.
I love it... You're like me - 'you can never have too much truck'... laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
35 Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Practicing retirement with a 2529RG Winnebago and F250 with the 6.2.
No complaints with the Ford.
We spent 3 weeks in Florida last Jan. and Feb.
We left a day early to get out of Dodge before the 14" of snow came the end of January.
We still had a dusting in Florence S.C.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some really nice rigs.

I, too, am of the opinion that too much truck is better than too little truck when towing.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by JeffA

I spent a couple months down there once and had a good time but damn. We found ourselves in a couple of sketchy situations.

Where'd you stay?
Where'd you go?

I'd be interested in specifics myself.

One of my pipe dreams was to spend a winter or 3 there myself, but after al the reports I kind of wrote it off.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Have a grand design 2800 bunk house
It’s half ton rated. When we bought it pulled it a few times with a f150 that was fairly decent tow rating for a 1/2 ton. Crazy scary on interstate though

That truck was a pos anyways so I traded for a gmc 2500 at4 diesel SRW

No comparison. That 1/2 ton got blown all around with that camper and needed a expensive hitch just to even be able to pull it

The diesel 3/4 ton hauls it like it isn’t even back there. And gets 18.5mpg interstate doing it. No need for a load hitch. Doesn’t need air bags. Can pretty much just hook up and go

If I went fifth wheel I would go drw though.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by gunzo

Where'd you stay?
Where'd you go?

One of my pipe dreams was to spend a winter or 3 there myself, but after al the reports I kind of wrote it off.

We crossed at Mexicali East and went straight down hwy 5 to San Felipe. Spent a week at San Felipe and day-hopped south staying at Gonzaga Bay, Guerrero Negro, Santa Rosalia, and Mulege. At one military checkpoint we had a young soldier take a beer from our refrigerator but otherwise no problems if you don’t count the ‘fine’ I had to pay because I mistakenly drove about 400 yards the wrong direction on a one way street. We’re going back next winter.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm more than comfortable, with my status !

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

grin

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kevinJ
Have a grand design 2800 bunk house
It’s half ton rated. When we bought it pulled it a few times with a f150 that was fairly decent tow rating for a 1/2 ton. Crazy scary on interstate though

That truck was a pos anyways so I traded for a gmc 2500 at4 diesel SRW

No comparison. That 1/2 ton got blown all around with that camper and needed a expensive hitch just to even be able to pull it

The diesel 3/4 ton hauls it like it isn’t even back there. And gets 18.5mpg interstate doing it. No need for a load hitch. Doesn’t need air bags. Can pretty much just hook up and go

If I went fifth wheel I would go drw though.

You get 18.5 MPG towing a 28' travel trailer with a GVWR of 8500 lbs?

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Where'd you stay?
Where'd you go?

We crossed at Mexicali East and went straight down hwy 5 to San Felipe. Spent a week at San Felipe and day-hopped south staying at Gonzaga Bay, Guerrero Negro, Santa Rosalia, and Mulege. At one military checkpoint we had a young soldier take a beer from our refrigerator but otherwise no problems if you don’t count the ‘fine’ I had to pay because I mistakenly drove about 400 yards the wrong direction on a one way street. We’re going back next winter.

In those locations were you boondocking or did you stay in commercial campgrounds?

It was the military that caused us a few tense hours too.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

Congrats…..hope that you really enjoy your trip.

Love our old 07 SRW Ram. She tows our 20K 5th wheel pretty darn good. We haven’t traveled nearly as much as we wanted since my retirement. But, did manage about 6K miles last year! memtb

Our last trip of 2021……Christmas in Evanston, Wy.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by memtb; 03/29/22.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

Where'd you stay?
Where'd you go?

In those locations were you boondocking or did you stay in commercial campgrounds?

It was the military that caused us a few tense hours too.

We stayed in pay campgrounds that ranged from $10 a night to $20, it was cheap enough that we felt it was worth it to have oceanfront camping. In Several of those campgrounds we were the only people present. The kid soldier who manned a checkpoint asked to look in the camper. I went in with him to supervise, he opened the fridge and asked for a beer. It declined to let him have a usb cable that he also asked for. I got a close up view of his FX-05 rifle so I called it a good trade. It was not tense at all. Baja is much safer than the mainland where I would not go with an RV.

Last edited by BeanMan; 03/29/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What mileage you get towing your trailer?

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Redneck, et all,
My Volvo is registered as a 26k motorhome.
No cdl, but I will get a class E New Mexico license when I retire because of size and weight, so I don't get hassled
any where.
My wife loves sitting higher, and the comfortable seat. She can just stand up and go in the sleeper to get something, or make something to eat, go potty, if an emergency, (!), or hang out on the bed.
No more pulling over, or climbing over the seat to get something off the back seat or floor.
I love the turning radius, the power for pulling 20k, and knowing the brakes can stop the whole rig by themselves if needed. A 3 stage Jake brake is nice too.
It holds 200 gallons of fuel, and is pre def, and regen.
Our last trip to Moab, UT, the computer said we were getting 9.9 mpg, loaded, and with our trail model SxS in the garage.
It's a real comfortable way to travel.

Last edited by splattermatic; 03/29/22.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1minute, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 2500HD, 222Sako, 65 invisible), 2,278 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,123
Posts18,502,402
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.